Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion (VI) [ARCHIVED] • Page 615

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. This is why we lose. This is why the country is fucked. This kind of thinking is why racism and fascism wins. It is obscene to watch play out again and again.

Anthony Brooks and xapplexpiex like this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

3. And for the record “Fox News viewers” is like 75% approval, when you just poll them.

But their demo of hard core watchers ... is like 98% — right in line with the affiliated as Republican voters.

4. If you sway 5% you’ve done literally nothing but waste time and give credibility and money to Fox. 10% of a town hall viewership won’t sway any state in the primary or general. It’s literally only helping Fox. Even on the math it’s bad politics.

5. It makes me so mad to see people actively defend this strategy because it’s how I know we’re gonna Kerry 2.0 this shit.

6. And even if you wanna make the “we need racist grandpa” voter argument this is true.

7. Omni

Regular

I think everyone who voted Trump that was gonna flip has already flipped after seeing what a maniac and awful President he has been over the past two years. I'm not sure how they didn't realize it a long time ago though.

The key to winning in 2020 imo is energizing the Democratic base and getting leftists and left leaning moderates who stayed home in 2016 to vote, not trying to win over people who want a wall and don't think trans people are human.

smowashere likes this.
  8. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

The focus definitely needs to be courting the voters who didn't vote in 2016 or decided to vote third party. You need to give those people a reason to vote for the dem nominee. If someone like Biden becomes the nominee, that won't convince many people who didn't vote in 2016 to vote in 2020.

You don't need to spend all your efforts trying to get Trump supporters or Fox News viewers on your side, but there are casual viewers who are more moderate and against Trump that you can bring to your side. It's just that I don't see the harm in doing a town hall there, as long as you do it properly and make it clear you know who they are and are doing it to reach new voters, not to support the network in any way. When Bernie went on, he made it clear he was doing it to expose Trump's lies, he made sure that the ground rules were laid out and it would be fair, and made it clear he knows Fox News is propaganda arm for Trump.

9. ... and it didn’t work.

You can’t make any argument for doing it without reconciling the failure to move the needle and change these imaginary minds. Instead it propped up the network when they were facing the biggest ad crisis in years. It was an abject failure for anything except helping Fox News.

10. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

Well then let's see if Warren declining it works for her

11. She’s gained in every poll since Bernie went on and she’s declined.

12. At some point you have to realize you’re actively helping and arguing to platform the most destructive media force in our lifetimes. If you’re ok with that, you need to be ok with the outcome and those you’re hurting under the guise of “finding the mythical Fox moderate” ... it’s a farce.

13. Wait this was the take away from some journalists

Wharf Rat likes this.
  15. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Knew there was a reason I unfollowed this guy.

Wharf Rat and Jason Tate like this.
  16. Someone RT’d it into my timeline and I almost threw my phone.

17. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

An evergreen tweet. They have to stop sitting down to play the game, it isn't real and they'll only lose.

littlejohn, bigmike and dylan like this.
  18. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Journalists are superheros who can do no wrong and if you're not always nice to all of them you're doing Trumpism and sexism. Thanks for that take.........,a journalist

Omni likes this.
  19. Wharf Rat

incognitojones likes this.
  20. Wharf Rat

jesus christ

[​IMG]

21. Wharf Rat

king

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

23. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.