Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion (VI) [ARCHIVED] • Page 2400

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  2. Zach Feb 24, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 25, 2020)
    Zach

Trusted Supporter

The tweets were shitty and it doesn’t matter if it’s from a private account or not.

It’s definitely going to be used to add “validity” to the “harassment” people claim they suffer en masse from our movement. It doesn’t matter that Bernie literally said a few days ago that he disowns them and has fired this person to show that he is true to his word. I think Bernie will be fine in the long run. Especially in the general where Trump supporters have said much worse things way more often than one staffer.

edit: I also agree with those saying it isn’t harassment since it is from a private account. Staffer should have had more foresight to not post them at all given their connection to the campaign. Time to move on.

3. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

They. Were. Private. Tweets. You can’t harass someone when you don’t @ them and no one can see them but who you approve.

It’s not called “if they’re a nice person online” solidarity. It’s class solidarity. Every campaign has some volunteer or temp field staffer that has some sort of shitty view or opinion or belief that is awful and it’s not unique to Bernie. You take those people with their shitty opinion and you work together to lift each other up and build a better world and along the way you try and correct those shitty views or stop them from saying shitty things.

4. I’m reminded of this essay and the underlying theme:

I Was Sexually Harassed on Bernie Sanders’s 2016 Campaign. I Will Not Be Weaponized or Dismissed.
    By blindly attacking anyone who raises valid concerns about sexism because it’s “not a good look” for the senator, they are actually making him look worse. Ironically, in their defense of Sanders’s campaign, these individuals are behaving as if acknowledging the presence of sexism and sexual harassment in his campaign is akin to calling Sanders a sexist — the implication that the establishment media seems keen to draw.

Accusations of sexual misconduct during a political campaign should not be weaponized to serve a political agenda. Nor should claims be ignored to protect a beloved candidate — doing so only adds to the cycle of shame and punishment that makes sexism so hard to tackle.

mercury, Onlyadirector and Bobby like this.

6. Here’s my opposite argument: Sanders is winning right now because he’s become tolerable and liked by normie Democrats. Be it by name recognition or policy or front runner or whatever it may be, they have said: yeah he can win we’re in.

no idea what that means for the general, but it’s been basically the case so far. It’s not really new voters in the first three states doing this, but I’m not convinced that’s a bad thing for the electability. (The theory of being able to pass legislation via the bully pulpit is another argument all together.)

Anthony Brooks and RyanPm40 like this.
  7. clucky

Trusted Supporter

You can support someone as a friend without keeping them involved in a political campaign. Actions have consequences and attacking people in private doesn't make it okay. You can't go around making your employer look bad.

Overall it should be a non story. Bernie staffer gets caught doing something shitty, Bernie fires them, everyone moves on.

Expect instead of "everyone moves on" we get "some Bernie supporters complain Bernie is getting unfairly treated and the staffer is the real victim here" which doesn't help anyone

CarpetElf likes this.
  9. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

For Jason. A side by side comparison.

Ken and Jason Tate like this.
  10. [​IMG]

RyanPm40 likes this.
  11. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Another thing to think about: Bernie got a lot of “first time voters” out in 2016 already. So they’re now “second time voters” and don’t count as new voters anymore.

that’s my theory anyway

12. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

*thinks about all the people with shitty opinions over the last four years and how they were handled*
    [​IMG]

CarpetElf likes this.

mercury, Zilla, RyanPm40 and 4 others like this.
  14. Anthony_ Feb 25, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 25, 2020)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Ah cool, we’re still making a big deal out of the low-level staffer with the bad private tweets who was fired. You love to see it.

15. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

especially loved when people called him abusive. just absolute lib brain on full display.

dylan likes this.
  16. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

No, it’s the low-level Bernie staffer making bad jokes from a locked account that’s the issue! Nothing to see here!!!!!!

17. mescalineeyes

Well I'd argue the campaign of the front runner always faces more scrutiny than some ex-republican dipshit whose only chance to become the nominee is ratfucking Bernie in Milwaukee.

Like, Bloomberg is a joke character at this point.

CarpetElf likes this.
  18. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

lolling at people caring those tweets harassment, I would argue it is harassment to gain access to a private account under false pretenses tbh

yeahrightdude, dylan, Zach and 6 others like this.
  19. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

coming home from work sitting down on my couch by myself at my home and muttering about how much I hate my coworkers, suddenly my door breaks down and I am arrested for harassment

dylan, St. Nate, phaynes12 and 4 others like this.
  20. mescalineeyes

to be fair we all know you support Bernie so you should've known better than harassing people by your lonesome

21. mescalineeyes

22. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Lmao

tomdelonge, Max_123, St. Nate and 4 others like this.
  23. Debate tonight

Ken likes this.
  24. mugi stan

the bernie staffers tweets were hilarious and he didn’t deserve to be fired. donate to his venmo in solidarity against lib brain rats BenMora1994 ☝

25. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

Love to discuss bad tweets with people who were posting shit just like that on AP

CarpetElf and mescalineeyes like this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.