Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion (VI) [ARCHIVED] • Page 1251

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Is this recent? Last night I read they were going to gain

Ugh

2. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

incognitojones likes this.
  4. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean, if it happens they deserve it for literally forgetting they're supposed to be the progressive party until the last month or so. I still think moving forward, they'll be in a much much better position. A lot of people are pretty excited about the new platform and shift right now, they just most likely waited way too long. I also read they were projected to lose in the last cycle but then at the very last moment they gained a bunch of seats so idk. Ugh.

5. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

St. Nate likes this.
  6. MexicanGuitars

Is there any sort of actually progressive wing in the NDP similar to AOC/Tlaib? I know they were campaigning on a moderate federal platform under Mulcair on some things in 2015 (weed, budget iirc), and have just gotten trounced in the Prairie elections since.

7. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

bigmike likes this.
  8. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

The NDP are basically at their lowest point since the pre-layton days. I don't really even know who their base of support is- they're currently projected to win a single seat east of ontario, and that specific seat is still a "toss-up". according to 338, they've only got one single "safe" (ie 75% probability) seat in Ontario. Really can't imagine them being relevant in our politics for the next long while

9. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

That's a good question. I've had a hard time finding much blatant left leaning Canadian publications that tell you stuff like that TBH it's really from watching a lot of credible people on YT or reading them on :chicky: that I have a pretty solid idea what's going on. With the postmedia takeover being fucked as it is, that makes it even harder.

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  10. MexicanGuitars

Fuck

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  11. Stephen Young Sep 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 18, 2019)
    Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

also, wrt whether there is a progressive wing or not, there is and isn't- when Singh won the leadership election he represented the more centre lane of the party while candidates like charlie angus and nicki ashton were more "progressive".

In terms of how influential those wings are in government, remember that the NDP has nearly always been a third party. This means that they'll usually have to caucus with other parties to influence anything. If you've got 10% of the seats in parliament, as the NDP does, your "progressive wing" will literally represent about 3 MPs. In a house with 338. AOC/Omar/Etc. are better able to enact change because their party will always have anywhere from 40-55% of the seats in government. That barely ever happens in Canada, and when it does, it's typically because the party in power is extremely consolidated.

the ndp had their chance to become a force after 2011- they were given perhaps the greatest gift in electoral history with the orange wave over quebec where they were able to seat literally anyone including several undergraduate students in pretty much every seat in the province. at this point, unless there's a leader from quebec, they'll forever be irrelevant here, and that basically shuts them off to 30% of the country right there.

mad likes this.
  12. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

13. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Drop out and leave your seat, thx

Ken, Victor Eremita and popdisaster00 like this.
  14. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

Kennedy is so young and has a bright future. I don’t get why he’d fuck it up by trying to primary a fellow progressive who’s actually popular. If it was a Joe Manchin-like Senator I’d understand.

15. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

16. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Katyal’s hyping up aside...holy shit at that headline.

17. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

popdisaster00 likes this.
  18. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

how does this get more insane, his wife is Gwyneth Paltrow's cousin !!???!!

20. clucky

Trusted Supporter

add it to the list of stuff that would be the cause of a term defining scandal for any other president but will be forgotten by tomorrow morning for trump

21. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

More of a general statement, but my town has so noticeably become even more divided by class the last few years it's unreal. School enrollment is low because there are no jobs here and nobody can afford housing. Despite the fact that we have tons and tons of ppl on waitlists for income based housing they just had to build these luxury random apts that costs double mine. I can get an (albeit small) apt in Portland for the same price as these new ones. And then at least I'd be living in Portland and not this dump in the middle of nowhere with fewer resources. And then as this election cycle gears up seeing ppl voting against their own self interests is difficult. It's just depressing.

bigmike and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  22. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I wonder if Trump promised to out the spy

23. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

24. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

25. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean, she really doesn't want them galvanized on anything otherwise she wouldn't be attacking her own party for the last three months.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.