Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion (VI) [ARCHIVED] • Page 2279

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah I know its his goal to get under liberals skin so i shouldn't let it but nothing is annoying more more than following these primaries around and having rallies before them. So annoying.

2. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I mean just because it’s “been known” doesn’t mean it isn’t a form of vote suppression. Not everyone is going to know about that requirement, people don’t always read instructions, so to toss out ballots that don’t mark “uncommitted” if they don’t have differing second and third choices is just erasing votes pure and simple. If someone only picks Bernie and nobody else, they shouldn’t have to remember to check off a box saying they don’t want to realign. This is going to result in a lot of votes not being counted and that is very much not ok.

incognitojones and Brother Beck like this.
  4. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

This is cheap AF tbh

5. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean, the early voting didn’t even exist last time. This is expanding the voting electorate, not suppressing it. It’s not a very arcane or stupid rule, it’s literally just asking you to read and follow the directions. Bubble in three bubbles. People not reading the directions and then claiming some sort of DNC conspiracy to hurt Bernie is annoying as fuck right now.

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

that’s like 1/5 of this year’s defense budget

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

8. *yells for the nine thousandth time: caucuses are a form of suppression and suuuuuuccccccxkkkkkk* the caucus alone is far more suppressive than this ballot that was approved in 2019 and is basic ranked choice. It’s super obvious what’s expected if you look at the ballot. Bernie surrogates shouldn’t spread misinformation.

bigmike, David87 and Anthony Brooks like this.

10. Anthony_

It’s not a “conspiracy” because it won’t just affect Bernie. It’s a very, very stupid rule in general because there are definitely going to be people who assume that if they only check one candidate it means they don’t want their vote to realign. To force them to pick “uncommitted” for their second and third choice *just to have their vote count* is really a very bad idea when if they only check off one candidate *that should be assumed*.

Brother Beck likes this.

11. Follow the instructions it ain’t hard.

12. Anthony_

Making the ballot unnecessarily complicated to the point that it results in votes being tossed sounds an awful lot like the suppression of votes to me, whether it’s intentional or not. If a state like North Carolina or Georgia was doing this in a general election people in here would be apoplectic. But yeah, just follow the rules and everything will be fine!

alina and Brother Beck like this.
  13. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

14. It’s a caucus. It’s literally already suppressive lol.

MysteryKnight and mescalineeyes like this.
  15. Weird cause I’ve spent I dunno five years talking about how Trump should be responsible for his supporters and their shitty actions. So, uh, no?

hold shit behavior accountable; why is this all of a sudden contentious?

16. Anthony_

so..........we’re going to make the thing that’s supposed to fix that (an early mail-in ballot) also suppressive? I don’t follow how constantly parroting this (true) statement about caucuses makes the ballot rule less bad. They’re literally going to *toss people’s votes out*. Absolutely wild that anybody is ok with that.

Penguin and Brother Beck like this.
  17. Yeah they toss ballots out when people don’t follow the rules. The rules are fine and agreed upon last year. Three dots. It’s said multiple times. It’s easy to follow. Don’t cross out shit either. It’s said out loud and over and over on the ballot. Pretending this was new and stirring conspiracy theories is bad.

18. Anthony_

It’s not a conspiracy theory! It’s real! They’re gonna toss out people’s votes just because they don’t want to realign and didn’t realize that means they still have to check more boxes! It’s not just going to affect Bernie! Lots of people are just finding out about this now, whether it’s new or not so saying “this isn’t new” like that means anything (it doesn’t) doesn’t make it better!

Brother Beck likes this.
  19. LOL. Read the ballot. I posted it. It’s super simple.

20. Anthony_

Really hope there’s a Spanish version of that ballot because it’s Nevada and there are probably a lot of ESL voters who might not read English very well there!

21. Part of the voting rights act.

dylan likes this.
  22. Anthony_

man, “Lol just read the ballot” is some prime privileged thinking, I really can’t get over that

GrantCloud, Joe4th, neo506 and 3 others like this.
  23. clucky

Trusted Supporter

There isn't really any good reason to require top three votes. Send like only the number one vote should be required

It's also not some malicious conspiracy added at the last minute to hurt Bernie. It's just a dumb rule the hopefully won't effect too many votes

Penguin and Brother Beck like this.
  24. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I don't in any way think it is some type of conspiracy designed to rob Bernie Sanders of votes, but I do agree that they made it more complicated than they needed to knowing full well they are going to be tossing out a ton of people's votes who don't read the instructions fully.

You beat me, but this.

Anthony_ likes this.
  25. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

I mean the only reason it'll hurt Bernie the most because he would get the most votes haha

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.