Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion (VI) [ARCHIVED] • Page 2271

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

It's like people have never negotiated for anything ever. You don't walk into a car dealership saying "i'd love to pay sticker price thank you" haha

2. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

Am I misremembering or even making it up, but wasn't there a really long article from several years ago that talked about how Obama wanted lieberman out of his committee chair seats after he won the election because he campaigned for McCain and harry reid talked him out of doing it because of "party unity" or something like that? I have a vivid memory of reading that somewhere

3. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

hank hill would like a word with you

4. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

I use propane, he likes me just fine thank you very much.

5. That I don't remember but I'll make a note to check. Totally sounds like something that could have happened. Hah.

dylan likes this.
  6. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I thought it was the opposite lol, that Obama mindlessly believed Lieberman wouldn’t totally fuck him over and Reid was much more willing to cut him

dylan likes this.
  7. scottlechowicz Feb 14, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 14, 2020)
    scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

It was the other way around haha.

Lieberman Gets To Keep Committee Chairmanship

Bernie makes an appearance in the article. He voted for a stronger rebuke of Joe. As does Amy Klobuchar, who did not haha.

8. clucky

Trusted Supporter

On the one hand I definitely get the "starting with what you want instead of starting at a point of compromise" argument.

On the other hand, I think its a good thing for politicians to be realistic about what they can deliver

I do think its pretty clear that both Bernie and Warren *want* M4A. Can disagree with their tactics on how to get there, but the whole "Warren turns her back on M4A" attack is just as bullshit as it was the first day people started using it.

9. The other thing about this, if we're taking Bernie at his word, and he isn't getting rid of the filibuster, but instead doing the weird Byrd Rule over-rule thing, that means that the choice between a public option or M4A will have already had to be made at the budget committee stage -- before debate even starts.

So this entire thing ... is confusing and weird.

10. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

11. scottlechowicz likes this.
  12. tomdelonge

Trusted

"In retrospect, it seems impossible to overstate the cultural damage done by SOUTH PARK, the show that portrayed earnestness as the only sin and taught that mockery is the ultimate inoculation against all criticism"

This is the quote you said you've "been saying for years". From my perspective this is a fitting description of your behavior online. We all grew up in a fucked culture, this stuff infects us all, but I hope if you reflect on the language you choose, you'll understand how it can negatively impact others. Mocking people is improper.

On the topic of aggressive online conversation generally, it bothers me that some males exercising allyship online use dominating language that for a lotta people is a harmful reminder of abusive masculinity's controlling language. Prolly not intended and everybody loves to yuk it up w the shitposts, but using aggressive language, even in the pursuit of justice, is inappropriate in my view.

I don't want to argue, just a friendly reminder.

Penguin, astereo, Jesse West and 4 others like this.
  14. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

How much can you really expect from a guy who unironically reads David Brooks

15. Sigh.

I expected more. That's for sure.

16. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

if you got dunked on by Jason more than likely you lobbed a ball above your head while standing under a fisher price hoop.

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

18. I'm so much nicer now than I've ever been.

:tongue:

19. tomdelonge

Trusted

20. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

me too

i'm a good boy now

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Why is she so blurry

Leftandleaving and Max_123 like this.

22. my first thoughts as well

Matt Chylak likes this.
  23. Why does he look like a creepy ventriloquist doll watching her from the corner?

24. Is it all that sun on the beach and instagram thirst traps?

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.