Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion (V) [ARCHIVED] • Page 5

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

If you’re wondering why some of the ideas that the Parkland kids are offering up is dangerous, look no further:

“Family members told the Chronicle that Thomas had suffered from depression. His two young children, they said, had died in 2016 after allegedly being drowned by their mother, who has been charged with murder and is awaiting trial.”

Texas Officer Fatally Shoots Unarmed Man Walking With Pants Down

Wharf Rat and lightning like this.
  2. lightning

You folks really need to drop the word "perfect". Only the privileged seem to be able to criticize us by using that word, or something related to it - "purity test" for example. Especially in regards to addressing the ableism and policing ideas. like really? It's getting offensive at this point. Politics is a matter of everyday life, and for some moreso than others, so forgive us for getting tired of seeing stuff that only makes things worse.

Contender and sophos34 like this.
  3. Alt right shit is popping up on my instagram feed and I'm not fucking having it

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

Oh look another blonde headed girl that if you squint, kinda looks like his daughter

5. He certainly has a type

6. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

But...the ideas they're talking about won't "only make things worse". It will make a bunch of things tangibly better.

7. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Are you even reading lol. It's not better for cops to have a list of people with mental illness or for there to be more guns in schools

8. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

But it is better to expand background checks, ban certain types of guns and ammo, banning bump stocks, database of gun sales, allow the CDC to make recconemdnations on gun regulations, etc.

Are YOU even reading?

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. Anthony_ Mar 28, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 28, 2018)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Some of what they’re saying is good, some of what they’re saying is very, very bad. It shouldn’t be controversial to want to educate them on why certain parts of their platform are bad so that they can cut that shit out and focus on the things that are good. It’s also totally fair to say that a lot of them might not realize why what they’re advocating for is bad, but we should take the chance to educate them on why without attacking them. They seem like reasonable kids, I’m sure they’ll listen.

I can’t believe people are accusing people offering constructive criticism as being as bad as the NRA/Fox News.

Wait. It’s the internet. Of course I can believe it.

10. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I can't believe you think what's being said to/about these kids here and elsewhere on the internet is qualifying as "constructive criticism" heh.

11. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I mean if the manifesto was something we'd vote on I would definitely not vote for it.

Adrian Villagomez and Wharf Rat like this.
  12. Anthony_

I haven’t dove deep into what exactly is being said, but yeah I’m sure there’s a ton of mocking and attacking going on too. It’s to be expected I guess.

13. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I think that what people are saying is, a lot of their manifesto sucks and puts people actively in danger. See the story above. So, we should be critical of it.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  14. Anthony_

But it’s not. It’s a platform. Platforms change. They need to know why things like a police database of mentally ill people is bad, so they can change it. If my 17-year-old self put out a manifesto I’m sure there would have been tons of questionable shit in there, but I’ve been educated since then and matured. They need the chance to do the same.

15. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Seems to me that there are two or three things that suck while the rest of it (aka most of it) is pretty decent.

16. St. Nate

I get that, what I'm saying is that's a platform, as it is right now, that I cannot be behind.

lightning likes this.
  17. Anthony_

Me neither, not taken as a whole without alteration. I agree. My support of, whatever, like 70% of it doesn’t negate the strong reservations I have about the other 30%. Still lots of work to do.

18. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Just went and read it again....I don't see anything about a database of mentally ill for the police. The only thing I see that comes close to that is allowing mental health professionals to communicate with the police when they feel they need to about certain individuals.

AFAIK, HIPPA laws would make that type of communication more difficult at the moment.

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I expect teenagers to have dumb ideas, especially when they're echoing policy of adults, but losing doctor patient confidentiality would be disastrous

Contender and Zilla like this.
  20. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Seems to be saying that the laws need to be altered to allow doctors to report dangerous individuals, not eliminating confidentiality.

But it would never happen because that would open up doctors to liability of one of their patients went on a mass shooting spree. The medical lobby will fight that until the end of time I would think.

21. finnyscott

I'm from New York. No, not the city.

Aren't doctors/mental healthcare providers already not bound by confidentiality if they have reason to believe the patient is a threat to themselves or others? Or am I making that up?

22. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

right now, therapists are not only able but legally required as mandated reporters to report people who express intent to commit a crime. I don't see the value of expanding this to allow anyone who might maybe someday do a crime besides putting them on a list

23. Anthony_

It has to be an imminent threat. I suppose they want to make it so that doctors can report anyone they themselves believe seem “dangerous,” which is where the problem lies. That’s broad as hell and places a lot of power to ruin someone’s life in the hands of individual doctors.

24. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't see the value of labeling that idea as a "database of the mentally ill for the police" and then using that strawman to attack potential future allies in the gun control debate when they're already being attacked from the right with strawmen.

25. St. Nate

Yeah I really don't like scapegoating the mentally ill in any conversation or platform. It's harmful to the movement and of course, the already vulnerable mentally ill.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.