Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion (V) [ARCHIVED] • Page 4

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. clucky

Trusted Supporter

never really considered it until now, but its really weird how the right is both simultaneously anti-intellectualism (dismissing science, attacking higher education...) while at the same time being anti-emotionalism ('logical debate is the only discourse that matters').

Its not always the same people sharing these views, but both are very common on the right and they often do come from the same people.

incognitojones, mercury and lightning like this.
    RyanPm40 and littlejohn like this.
  3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I know it's a pretense but what possible excuse could Walker even make to pretend and justify denying the special election?

4. lightning

facts don't care about ur feels, say the people who ironically are always responding with feels

5. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

From what I’ve read, the argument is essentially that it’s a waste of money / time to hold one now because whoever wins will just have to run again in November...so why not wait until November?

Of course the law is not written in a way that allows for such an exception when a vacancy arises close to an actual election cycle. And, also, it is helpful to keep in mind that these vacancies exist because Scott Walker appointed the previous holders to his administration. So he created these vacancies. He knew the law. And now he just refuses to follow it.

6. lightning

Contender likes this.
  7. lightning

Wharf Rat likes this.
  8. lightning

9. The Parkland student paper or whatever writing some ideas down and then being attacked on twitter as a monolith for it not being perfect is about where I expected this all to end up. Gun control in any fashion won’t happen as long as the perfect is the enemy of good. It’s already too easy for the NRA and gun proponents and we make it even easier to divide and conquer. :-/

Rinse. Repeat.

12. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Maybe this will be the thread with the impeachment

13. finnyscott

I'm from New York. No, not the city.

Brother of Stephon Clark shuts down meeting on police shooting.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  14. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

“Where weee you when the pee tape was released and the president stepped down?”

“I was in Gen Pol 5 being called a neoliberal”

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Billionaires are playing sheriff we're all gonna die

16. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

??? They published it in the Guardian US. They "Guest edited" the paper. Not a high school student paper. It also has some things in it that are actively bad, not good or perfect...I don't have to explain to you why more guards with guns in schools and a cop database of mentally ill people is very bad no good. But I have to pretend to want cops to have a list of the most vulnerable people in their community because if I don't the NRA wins? Nah

17. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

If Westworld was real, he’d be Ed Harris’s character

19. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Zoshchenko and Wharf Rat like this.
  20. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

21. finnyscott

I'm from New York. No, not the city.

Was this posted? Seems... uh... damning?
    [​IMG]

22. EarthShifts

Trusted

I definitely agree that both of those things are not good. People are out there dismissing the entire thing though.

Is it perfect? No. Is any solution going to be perfect? I doubt it, but i hope we get close.

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. They made their suggestions based on their experience and knowledge and there’s definitely some good to take away from it and hopefully implement. It at least furthers the discussion.

The way some people are reacting online though is essentially just trashing it because they don’t like certain parts, and then completely tossing it the side.

And I’m not saying that you’re doing that here. I agree with what you said, but I just think that was part of the point Jason was making.

Jason Tate and David87 like this.
  23. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

Teenagers should be supported but also corrected when they’re wrong

24. lightning

they have a platform and they're using it to promote and say really harmful and problematic things. they're sucking up to a lot of hardcore anti-leftist liberalism, and i think it's bad, and i want to share people who say so and why. they have check marks on twitter w. thousands of followers. if they're deemed able to talk about these things then they should be criticized for it too. if there's no discussion on why some of the things they're tweeting and promoting are wrong, then how are people supposed to raise awareness and do stuff for the better.

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

It's her real name I'm losing my mind

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.