Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion (V) [ARCHIVED] • Page 1758

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. littlejohn

Prestigious Prestigious

Good job El paso.

As much as I'd like to see at the drive in or the Mars Volta play the inauguration He should run for and win the senate seat.

Zilla, astereo, David87 and 2 others like this.
  2. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

sophos34 likes this.
  3. Another idea: insurance should cover every drug. :-/ Like ... fuck how is this a thing? They make so much god damn money and people just ... gotta die? That’s what we do?

That’s ... what we are?

Grrrrrr.

4. My god

littlejohn likes this.
  5. littlejohn

Prestigious Prestigious

Nowhere near that amount but I decided not to pickup the Tamiflu they prescribed for me today because it was $80.

Just too much after getting laid off last week.

Jason Tate likes this.

6. Missed this. Ugh.

7. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. I met Hank Green once. He’s super nice.
    Random name drop.

JRGComedy and Zoshchenko like this.
  9. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

To avoid avoid another shutdown it sounds like Dems are prepared to give Trump 55 miles of border fencing they are trying to call "border structures" while Trump already referred to it as border wall being built.

Why the F are they going to cave? This is about to be a massive victory for Trump. Even if he only got 1 mile of wall it would have been a massive victory, he's going to get 55. The art of the deal I guess? Democrats are being so freaking stupid.

10. Yeah...people are gonna shoot doctors

11. Uh. No? They agreed the less than what was in the budget, about 1.3b, no money for a wall.

incognitojones likes this.
  12. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

Okay I'm confused, is this new fence in areas where there isn't pre-existing fencing? I was under the impression that Dems had been taking a stance of absolutely no funding towards additional border "wall".

13. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

14. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Same! Went to his book tour last fall and there was a meet & greet thing if you purchased tickets early enough. It made me realize that meet & greets are not for me

Jason Tate likes this.
  15. Hahaha. Same. Actually maybe just people and public events are not for me :crylaugh:

16. We don’t know for sure, but it looks like less than they wanted for fencing (1.3b vs 1.6b in OG budget), no where near the 5b he wanted for a wall, and a reduction in ICE beds. Ice wanted 65k. They’re not getting that. Dems tried to cap it way lower but it’ll probably end up at 40k.

It was a massive failure for Trump. He shut down the government to get less than what the budget deal Dems woulda already passed a month ago had in it. Got nothing close to actual wall funding, and less in bollard fence funding than he coulda had a month ago.

He’s gonna keep pretending he built a wall anyway, which is very funny to me.

littlejohn and SoCoWilderNeSs like this.
  17. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

He should have started a "Fuck John Cornyn!" WWE-style chant with the crowd to announce his bid for senate tonight.

18. And once he watches tv tonight he’s probably gonna veto it anyway heh

littlejohn and SoCoWilderNeSs like this.
  19. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

My confusion in how this news is being reported thus far scares the shit out of me honestly. I am someone who follows politics closely and often go down the rabbit hole and waste hours of my day on it and Trump and Co have muddied the waters so much with all of the false and crazy rhetoric that even I'm confused. It's hard to know which way is up anymore. It's no wonder his base who probably only sees headlines on Fox News will readily believe anything he says.

The propaganda machine is strong.

incognitojones and littlejohn like this.

20. Good thread on why the bed argument matters even though no one talked about it and focused on a wall and way too much money going to something dumb anyway imo

SoCoWilderNeSs likes this.
  21. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah ultimately he's getting less funding for physical barriers than what was in the original proposed budget that passed the senate 98-0 and would have passed the House with Dem votes before Trump made the shutdown threat/decision.

It's hard to say absolutely no physical barriers when the experts are saying it's needed in certain areas, so you had to go in expecting they were prob gonna get some of it. The fact that they made it so that Trump shut down the government and got less than he would have gotten pre-shut down should be pretty easy to spin and probably means Trump gets crushed in the media tomorrow.

Which probably means he vetos, veto gets overridden, and he declares national emergency and it goes to the courts.

MysteryKnight and SoCoWilderNeSs like this.

22. [​IMG]

incognitojones likes this.
  23. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

Will McConnell even allow for that veto override voting process to be taken up on the Senate Floor?

24. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

If he doesn't we're back into a partial shutdown and I don't think he wants that after what just happened. I guess we'll see but it's hard to believe he'd let his caucus endure that again.

SoCoWilderNeSs likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.