Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion (IX) [ARCHIVED] • Page 2092

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, May 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

A lot of these dipshits post-Trump have sort of faded away but it irritates the hell out of me to see people endlessly retweeting barely literate nonsense from them. Although I suppose that’s why republicans are so effective in messaging, they simply don’t give a shit about accuracy or grifts

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeah I was kind of hoping when he left office that centrist dems would be less annoying but nope

Victor Eremita likes this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

4. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

bigmike, Orla and Victor Eremita like this.
  5. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

At the same time people seem to be blaming her/associating her with shit long before she was Queen lol, and like she had power to do anything really. It's all dumb discourse IMO, they have no power anymore, if the Brits want to keep up the tradition and get the sads when one of them dies, whatever who cares. The meme content is great and hopefully everyone can have a sense of humor about it even if they are actually sad about her death.

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

7. St. Nate

i mean, she would have the power or at least the platform to set right injustices. after all "she presided upon decolonization" of the empire.

8. Now:Navigate! Sep 9, 2022
    (Last edited: Sep 9, 2022)
    I think the discussion of the actual timeline of the reduction of the monarchy's hard power could be an interesting one, but overall I disagree with your sentiment. Elizabeth II had a remarkably active role in discouraging independence and trying to preserve the commonwealth, and from the perspective of the colonized, there's a mountain of inaction that earns her every bit of scorn being expressed.

Not to mention her very defiant downplaying or outright rejection of appeals for reparations from some former colonies' governments. Not to mention the incomprehensible mineral wealth still being plundered throughout her reign. Not to mention the literal diamonds in her crown lol come on.

9. lol big yikes.
    Who's out here threatening Carnegie Mellon over a tweet about the queen? No way this was a necessary PR move, just reflexive garbage.

10. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I’ll drive down to CMU on my lunch break and sort everything out.

11. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Well that's my point...people are arguing dumb shit both ways. No she didn't "preside upon decolonization", and she didn't have Great Britain do more colonizing either..she has no power! lol. Her role is to stand there and wave. If she says good shit, cool, and if she says bad shit, call em out. The weirdos pretending she was heavily influencing UK policy in either direction or is the cause of it or whatever are either trying to justify their love for the royal family or taking out their frustrations with how the UK parliament continued imperialist policies after the royals were relegated to waving duties. And of course some niche causes about CPC/Hong Kong like you posted there. Like, not a lot of people are going to find it bad that Hong Kong isn't technically part of the PRC or think that her bestowing the title "royal" on the guard there is some sort of "gotchya" against Queen Elizabeth lol

12. I think it's kind of bonkers that you think the soft power of the monarchy under this queen can be accurately described as "waving duties" lol

13. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

At the end of the day, it's the UK government making these decisions, so I think it's dumb to pretend she was the impetus behind these things. But yeah she should definitely be called out for the bad opinions she had on it back then. But then there's people taking it a level beyond that that just makes roll my eyes lol.

14. I mean if the Brits want to fall all over themselves loving her, she's obviously going to be the figure of backlash too. It's not dumb just because it lacks nuance by design.

And you really can't put a price tag on her "picking her battles" and playing the middle-ground on most issues. If the queen wanted to return the Koh-i-Noor, it would be in India today. But it's not. The potential impact of some of the easy stuff she refused to do can't be ignored.

Victor Eremita and imthesheriff like this.
  15. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Aren't there like 4 countries that claim ownership of that?

16. St. Nate

I just dont see how its stupid both ways. no she isnt the instrumental engine behind UK domestic or foreign policy, but she is part of the institutional machinery, well not just part of it but in one of its highest positions, and has benefited from it at the expense of millions.

Wharf Rat, Orla, sophos34 and 3 others like this.
  17. Yeah but Iran and Afghanistan know they're full of shit about it so it's really just India and Pakistan =P

David87 likes this.
  18. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I know a guy, give me $250 and a few hours and I can get you the koh-I-noor

19. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

this dipshit

20. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah I get the scorn in terms of all rich parasites on society and that side of it, but there's some tweets out there are almost flat out blaming her for stuff that we would blame on our President here lol. It's just very whatever for me on that front.

Though the Irish can post what they want:crylaugh:

Now:Navigate! and St. Nate like this.
  21. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Now:Navigate! likes this.
  22. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

23. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

incognitojones likes this.
  24. TheGuyfkaFringeofLunacy

Trusted Supporter

David87 likes this.
  25. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

I got boosted last night. Arm is killing me and knees are a little sore but manageable

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.