Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion (IX) [ARCHIVED] • Page 128

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, May 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Can they make it into a PUNK'D like show?

SURPRISE! You're on SWAT'D
    Oh shit this is awesome!
    Yeah, but ur still going to prison.

2. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Nice reminder that even the battles that were “won” over the years did so despite the majority of Republicans, not by winning them over.

4. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

5. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I dunno....i mean I think the inherent sexism/racism would be hard to overcome. I just think there's so many voters out there that apparently only vote based on what they think of your personality and I feel like her act is so transparent compared to even Hillary or definitely Obama, who at least seemed to kind of genuinely be that guy that his public persona was, even if it wasn't 100%

Trump's fake tough guy act working is the most depressing thing ever I think

6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

3F17E8C2-62D2-4E65-8B6E-9394550300CF.jpeg

uuu likes this.
  7. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

astereo and neo506 like this.
  8. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

This should be shocking, but it really isn't. I think at this point it's just accepted that the rich have different rules and that the government won't do anything to change it.

9. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I feel like the Dems could successfully pass tax reforms against the mega-rich if they framed it as a tax targeting Big Tech. Republicans would eat that shit up.

10. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

Maybe, but I'm sure more of them are invested in big tech stocks than ever before.

11. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Contender, RyanPm40, neo506 and 6 others like this.
  12. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

1. Even if Republican voters were fooled, Republican senators wouldn’t be. All they wanted the last four years was those tax cuts.

2. Democrats don’t want to tax the rich either

aoftbsten, bigmike and Victor Eremita like this.
  13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

14. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Idk what Kaplan’s ruling was, but based on that tweet, DOJ’s logic is that they’re defending Trump against defamation for statements made while he was a government official, and gov’t officials are protected from personal liability when engaged in government duties (the same idea that stops cops from being personally liable for misconduct while the government that employs them can still be found liable).

DOJ probably strongly wants to keep that protection as broad as possible because they don’t want a situation where a bunch of government employees are getting personally sued for defamation left and right for statements they made in the course of their work. It would ostensibly be a serious hindrance on an official’s job if they risked a major lawsuit against themselves personally every time they wanted to criticize something or someone.

Whether Trump’s comments to Carroll were actually in the course of his duties seems…debatable lol. But the president has an extremely high level of deference/protection against personal liability for anything done while president. So to me that seems like kinda the point from the DOJ’s perspective - (1) they don’t want to seem overtly partisan about it, so they feel they have an obligation to take over the case regardless of whether it’s an obvious loser or not, and (2) they have an incentive to keep that liability protection as broad as possible anyway, regardless of the outcome in any particular case

15. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

813F5F61-41FC-4D05-9EB1-5B5BED008D9E.jpeg

neo506, MexicanGuitars, Zilla and 3 others like this.
  16. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Jason, please bring back the dong ads. Clipboard01.jpg

astereo, Zilla, aoftbsten and 4 others like this.
  17. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

18. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

Would be a real shame if Bezos pulls a Challenger

imthesheriff, neo506 and bigmike like this.
  19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

20. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

RyanPm40 and bigmike like this.
  21. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

lol I still love that picture. Would be the exact look I'd be giving him too.

22. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

incognitojones likes this.
  23. Has anyone here used Turo to rent a vehicle before

24. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I can answer that:
    - slightly fewer Republicans in government due to lower "moderate conservative" turnout, but...
    - more fucking crazy ones willing to do whatever they want, and...
    - there's still enough of them to be effective due to electoral advantages and gerrymandering

25. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.