Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion (III) [ARCHIVED] • Page 5

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

2. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Against Literary Nationalism | Jacobin

3. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I understand what you're saying and I think that we do need listen to what people are saying, in order to drill down into the rational kernel of their sentiment. On the other hand, we should not indulge the reactionary aspects of the ideas they hold; we have to argue against Islamaphobia, precisely because, regardless of who espouses it, it shores up white supremacy, thereby reinforcing the global divisions on which the current relations of power rest. The point of discussing the role of the "white working class" in the election, for example, isn't to legitimize the racial and gendered grievances they feel, regardless of the trauma attached to it; rather, the point is to articulate, in my mind, a radical anti-capitalist politics that understands oppression as a part of the fabric of accumulation and takes as it project the systematic disassembly of that which animates such stratified world. We have seen that sort of liberatory politics work before, as in Egypt, when Coptic Christians and Muslims stood side by side and protected one another when they were challenging Mubarak. In those moments, one can find hope, because, while not all difference was erased, each saw in each other a hope to build something new. And it was crushed. However, we would do well to learn from those experience and to offer a similar vision for folks who see the enemy in the wrong people, and by doing so, reify the relations of oppression.

As for people who respond by email, Noam Chomsky always replies to emails and promptly I might add.

dylan and lightning13 like this.
  4. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

5. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Ok Trump. Whatever you say man.

Grapevine_Twine likes this.
  6. MexicanGuitars

Making Waves (Part 1)

Excellent article, and this is perhaps the best summary of the limits of social democracy I could never articulate this past year.

This material makes me want to seek out a PhD far earlier than I had anticipated lol.

Sebas, PepsiOne, Wharf Rat and 2 others like this.
  7. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Loved this article. Viewpoint has been producing really good pieces this past year.

Wharf Rat and cubsml34 like this.
  8. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Sorry. I didn't read the post in the context of the larger conversation with Dom. But I agree with you. The experiences of MENA minorities and white America with Islam are incomparable and to call the former reactionary is false. I do believe that it is important especially for the left to recognize and listen to the experiences of MENA minorities or else they fall to the right. But in doing so it is important to steer the conversation away from right wing talking points, despite understanding why someone like your Father would find them appealing. Because at most, MENA minorities falling in with the right will give them model minority status, not full recognition of their culture, humanity or experiences, something MENA people and South Asians had to a degree before 9/11 and we all know how easily that was taken away.

Contender and lightning13 like this.
  9. MexicanGuitars

I do like the fact that Viewpoint's online output is so much less frequent than Jacobin's as well. Especially over the past 6 months, Jacobin has been putting out 3-4 pieces a day, often on nearly identical topics. That's not to say the quality of the product has necessarily declined, and it's good that many contributors are getting their works out, but it's nice when these articles are spaced out.

Wharf Rat and Dominick like this.
  10. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

Soooo

I saw one big plane followed by a bunch of little planes and releasing some weird blue and red gas in the air behind them (took maybe 10 minutes to completely dissolve) they went one way and then came back the other way.

Totes normal. Everyone's seen that right?

11. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

chem trails

12. Whatjuliansaid

No, those are usually just white streams. I've never seen actual big clouds of blue and red gas.

13. Jake Gyllenhaal

Maybe a patriotic air show in your area?

[​IMG]

14. Michael Schmidt

15. Michael Schmidt

16. Whatjuliansaid

Hahaha no this was really big plane followed by those little ones but the gas didn't look like that. It was one big cloud of blue and one of red. It was bizarre af

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Lol of course

18. The_Effort Mar 25, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 25, 2017)
    The_Effort

Regular Supporter

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  19. Jake Gyllenhaal

I think they mean they should beg for forgiveness when they ultimately meet their maker (God).

dylan and Robk like this.
  20. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

How long until trump tweets that the crowd at the pizza gate rally was bigger than obama's inauguration crowd?

21. Jake Gyllenhaal

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  22. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

Someone needs to crowd fund a pizza delivery to the rally

Robk and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  23. Whatjuliansaid

Maybe a local high school can deliver the pizzas and donate all the funds to public schooling ha

24. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Well this guys certainly creepy

25. Whatjuliansaid

Those people probably think the earth is hollow too

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.