Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion (II) [ARCHIVED] • Page 1428

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

If you folks haven't read this piece, I highly recommend it:

The Politics Trump Makes

Interestingly enough, a lot of conservatives are now jumping on the bandwagon and calling this a disjunctive moment, in which Trump will basically be the Carter of the right.

4. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

5. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I really despise these Tory fucks

fame likes this.
  6. Michael Schmidt

Damn, looks like Flynn is hanging out there on his own.

7. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Speaking of, this is a good article too:

"Movements long ensconced and habituated to power — such that when their leaders are out of office, their ideas still dominate — get out of that practice. They lose touch with that external reality of their opponents. The impulsion outward disappears; they grow isolated and doctrinaire, more sectarian than evangelical. Arguments their predecessors had to sweat their way through soften into lazy nostrums or harden into rigid dogmas. The free-market ideal, Hayek says, “became stationary when it was most influential.”

Now the movement’s problem is the opposite of when it was in its ascendancy. Its leaders may control all the elected branches of the federal government, as the Republicans do now and as the Democrats did under Jimmy Carter, and many of the state governments, but they no longer control or set the terms of political debate as much as they once did. Their power in government conceals their slipping hold on public legitimacy."

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/...inion&smtyp=cur&referer=http://m.facebook.com

8. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

The title of the lecture about the first year of Trump's presidency will be: Under immense pressure, how did US government not dissolve completely?

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Dominick like this.
  9. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Are they saying they'll testify in order to fall on their swords for Trump or because they think they actually have done nothing wrong?

10. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

That's the big question I suppose.

Could also be they hear Flynn is about flip and what to get out in front of it?

11. For as much shit as Pelosi takes (rightfully in a lot of places), she sure was vindicated on how much more effective she was than Paul Ryan over the past few weeks.

12. Or want to throw all the blame on him. I could see it going any of those ways.

Hopefully someone somewhere is making a deal to talk. I want his ass impeached.

ellie117 and Michael Schmidt like this.
  13. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

14. Michael Schmidt

My feeling is that between them and their lawyers (individually deciding with their own lawyers), they are feeling it makes the most sense to get out in front and get questioned in front of a shaky committee rather than be subpoenaed after potential charges. They can at least still potentially shape a narrative. Regardless of what they get out of these three the evidence is the major piece in all of it. Idk, that's how I see it at the moment. Admittedly, I haven't read much of the latest details on this story with the Trumpcare stuff going on.

15. Picking up a thank you card.

16. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I think someone said it here, or maybe elsewhere, that the only thing more embarrassing for that scumbag would be if he were to get primaried in 2020 lol...I'd almost cheer for the latter over the former if it didn't mean 4 years of Trump

cshadows2887, AelNire, neo506 and 2 others like this.
  18. Over 35k posts in this thread. Probably should archive it shortly.

19. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

If Trump gets impeached in Part III, it will make for an fitting trilogy.

20. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

21. Michael Schmidt

WordsfromaSong likes this.
  22. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, it was a fake news story that circulated to rile up the anti-Muslim crowd.

FALSE: Hillary Clinton Touts Sharia Law as 'Powerful New Direction' for Women

iCarly Rae Jepsen and David87 like this.
  23. Tell all the tales to get out of jail Flynnnnnyyyyyyy.

Ken and Michael Schmidt like this.

24. The cons are turning on Ryan. The same idiots that called him the intellectual wonk and all that shit.

popdisaster00 likes this.

25. hajhskdakjsjhkdajkhdasjkakahahahhahahahahahahah

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.