Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion [ARCHIVED] • Page 886

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2. Trotsky Oct 28, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 28, 2016)
    Trotsky

Trusted

It's amazing how well this issue has been muted.

It's pretty clear that Clarence Thomas is a pile of shit devoid of any virtue, and his assumption of Thurgood Marshall's seat never ceases to be disgusting in its reduction and blurring of Marshall's significance as the first black American Justice, a brilliant social and political commentator, and someone who isn't a piece of shit sexual predator.

Also, really fucking germane to this intersection of topics:

Clarence Thomas casts fifth vote to gut the ban on sexual harassment

3. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

yeah ad systems targeting by ethnicity is not strictly a problem. ad systems targeting by ethnicity when advertising for housing are. which is what the propublica article at least centers on

4. Trotsky

Trusted

I can't think of a bright line that that can feasibly be drawn to separate permissible ethnic-based advertising versus impermissible. If black Americans were being targeted with jewelry and payday lending ads and whites were being targeted with home improvement and financial investment ads, one could see how that could reinforce cyclical inequality.

5. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

yeah as i said "not strictly a problem" - from a sociological standpoint I'm having a hard time coming up with ways where it is not harmful, but in this case the question is where FB might be violating a law - housing is one of the specifically protected equal-ad markets

Trotsky likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  7. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

When Clinton wins, I assume @POTUS and @VP gets passed to her and Kaine? What happens to @FLOTUS? What will Bills handle be?

8. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

I'd prefer @FGOTUS or @FMOTUS but my guess is either @FHOTUS or he just keeps whatever he has now

9. Trotsky

Trusted

10. Trotsky

Trusted

Bill Clinton could get the "first racist sexual predator of the United States," but....well, come on, he's not the first to bear that title.

11. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

i get @FLOTUS

Wharf Rat, Kyle is hk and sophos34 like this.
  12. MyBestFiend

go birds Supporter

Looks like all three are taken but @FGOTUS has been tweeting out pro-Hillary stuff so I'll guess he gets that one

They will all keep their current accounts as well - I know Barack has 2 accounts, not sure about Michelle

13. tkamB

God of Wine Prestigious

The campaign's official statement is like a perfect parody of a politician's non-response.

Charlie Galbraith, serving as a Clinton advisor, shared the campaign’s official statement in an e-mail to ICTMN: “We received a letter today from representatives of the tribes protesting the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline. From the beginning of this campaign, Secretary Clinton has been clear that she thinks all voices should be heard and all views considered in federal infrastructure projects. Now, all of the parties involved—including the federal government, the pipeline company and contractors, the state of North Dakota, and the tribes—need to find a path forward that serves the broadest public interest. As that happens, it's important that on the ground in North Dakota, everyone respects demonstrators' rights to protest peacefully, and workers' rights to do their jobs safely.”

Dominick, Trotsky and Thursdaysox like this.
  14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Correction 15-25 black people will vote for him

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

16. John

Trusted Prestigious

Thursdaysox likes this.
  17. John

Trusted Prestigious

Noam Chomsky on Syria: A ''Grim'' Set of Alternatives

18. Thursdaysox

We know it from the silence

19. John Oct 28, 2016
    John

Trusted Prestigious

issuing that letter, at least as written, seems highly inappropriate?

re-reading it now, it doesn't even say that they're re-opening the investigation... so much vague language.

20. Alec Joy

Regular Prestigious

In the words of Bernie Sanders, I think the american people are sick and tired of hearing about your damn emails

21. dpatrick23

Regular Supporter

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. Trotsky Oct 28, 2016
    Trotsky

Trusted

I hate sappiness and tend not to believe in divine metaphors, but the video in this link of the charge of buffalo appearing during an interview with a Native citizen on the fuckery of the pipeline.....it's amazing

Thousands of Wild Buffalo Appear Out of Nowhere at Standing Rock (VIDEO)

But at the same time it's heartbreaking. Many of those Native people will think it an omen that their voices are heard, their sovereignty intact, and their cause emboldened. And then corporate America will break them beneath its heel and their cause will be forgotten.

23. What else should a private citizen group say months before they'd be able to do anything and it would be months after probably lots will change in the situation?

24. Yep. Agreed on both accounts.

Hold onto your butts.

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Zac Djamoos and Thursdaysox like this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.