Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion [ARCHIVED] • Page 3

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

St. Nate, stnewton and Wharf Rat like this.
  2. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Dominick likes this.
  3. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

the violence that has been bubbling up - and arguably over in some cases - at Trump rallies are legitimately scaring me. I'm seeing Hitler salutes and sucker punches thrown and it's horrifying. even if he doesn't succeed in the primaries or overall race, this is a huge bubble of racist intolerance and rage that will not just disappear in his absence.

4. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

It's not like these beliefs didn't exist or manifest before. Now they just have the validation of a presidential candidate.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  5. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

they existed but i think they were less public - i'm sure every poc has multiple stories of aggressions but i think these were generally the sort of thing that was mostly quietly talked about in your living room you know? i think his supporters had these ideas all along, they're just now much more emboldened, united, and ready to bite.

6. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

PyramidPostcard and Jason Tate like this.
  7. Sophos

Regular

sup dom glad you're on the forums! we've been saying since day 1 we need you around for the politics section haha

8. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Haha. Thanks to Sakarazu for giving me the heads up, because I was completely oblivious to this place. Anyway, I'm glad to see you hanging around Jake. I always appreciate your thoughts, even if I don't verbalize it.

Jason Tate and Jake Jenkins like this.
  9. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

"Chicago police officers could be heard saying “Typical f---ing n-----s” and “Black lives matter, my a--” in a dispatch recording that surfaced Monday.

The exchange happened Saturday morning over the city police department’s public radio feed for Morgan Park and other Far South Side neighborhoods, DNAinfo reported.

The slurs appeared to come from a couple of officers around 12 hours after protests and clashes postponed a campaign eventfor Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump."

Chicago police officers say 'f---ing n-----s' on dispatch

The repressive apparatus sees things the same way as Trump, and they're referred to as heroes.

10. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

so suave

that was to a gif posted earlier, oops

11. MyBestFiend

go birds Supporter

The Rise of Trump Shows the Danger and Sham of Compelled Journalistic “Neutrality”

I had actually never considered that the consolidation of mass media and the rigid objectivity of many journalists were connected. I also think the right wing constantly whining about liberal bias plays a part in this too, though - it's caused some outlets to treat the Republican candidates with kid gloves at times.

12. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Whilst there has always been disdain towards the white working class by the elites in this country, the republicans and others have always managed to use the white supremacist ideology as a means to mobilize those voters against the interests of people of color, as well as their own, their support for Trump is causing the elites to turn on them:

Donald Trump is making conservatives turn on the white working class

13. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

Well, we might as well strap ourselves in now

Raku and Wharf Rat like this.
  14. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

At the very least, Anita Alvarez is out in Chicago.

#byeanita

PyramidPostcard and carina like this.
  15. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Since Bernie is effectively finished, I'd like to remind folks that the choice is not between between a belligerent racist/misoynist and an individual that tacitly enacts similar policies:

Power to the People Plan

schlotty likes this.
  16. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Something huge has to shit on Clinton if Bernie has any chance after yesterday.

17. ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

I am going to try to join in this thread. The one on ap.net moved so quickly it was hard to follow. Tons of great information and conversation though.

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I'm certain the majority of people in my family that vote are going to vote for Trump and it's so disappointing.

19. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Mine too.

muttley likes this.
  20. muttley

Even with my extended family, there's only 3 people, including myself, that aren't republican. I wish I could change their minds but that stuff is so ingrained. It's the close family that I see every day that bums me out the most. To give them a little credit, they weren't for him to begin with, but they'll still wind up giving him their vote in the end.

dharkins likes this.
  21. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

My family are all Republican except for me. We have totally different views about almost all subjects. My problem is they hear 1 thing they agree with and ignore the rest. That is SO dangerous. Hilary and Trump have said some seriously problematic things in the past and I'm stuck because I don't think Bernie can win even though he's my candidate of choice.

I think I said this somewhere but while standing in line and hearing people talking about how they were going to vote, I'm pretty positive I was the only Democratic ballot in there lol My dad tried to get me to change my mind the whole time we were in line.

dharkins likes this.
  22. muttley

I think that's how some of mine are. They hear about his views on immigration and think he's the one, despite the horrible and impractical things he's said (I.E. immigration!). Seems worth noting that we live in a cul-de-sac full of other white people who share the same views. They're ideas are reinforced all the time here.

Anytime I talk to my family about it, they just tell me I don't know what I'm talking a about. I did talk to my grandma a few times without getting written off immediately. I still don't agree with her but at least we were able to exchange opinions. I don't even want to ask questions about my ballot unless I'm talking to her now.

I try to keep informed but I don't know everything. That said, I'm not a fan of Hillary either, which makes me wonder what I'll do if Bernie can't hang on.

dharkins, Dirty Sanchez and AelNire like this.
  23. carina

yr royal highness

I live in a house with conservative Democrats who refuse to change their views on things they have no understanding of. It's frustrating, to the point where I want to discuss identity politics with them so they'd have a better understanding, but after the last time the family convened, I honestly just wanna take a nap when the election comes up.

24. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Hillary's AIPAC speech was disgusting. Free speech for Trump loving fascists but BDS needs to be destroyed. Right. Can't wait for that presidency

PyramidPostcard likes this.
  25. muttley

Voted for the first time this morning. :-)

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.