Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Forum Chat Thread (III) • Page 237

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Melody Bot, Nov 12, 2016.

1. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Its a cold rainy night and I'm feeling some typa way about turning 30 next week.

So... I listen to some Brand New. First listen in three years. Played some of my favourite tracks. Its still all quite good.

Now I feel. Still some typa way.

Freud likes this.
  2. One Man's Tracks

I love owning physical copies of things and used CDs are pretty affordable nowadays. I don't know enough about most artists from before my time so in an attempt to learn more I try to grab a lot of second hand albums I know little or nothing about. Often times I find myself embarrassed to admit to not knowing about certain classics but I'm glad to be able to educate myself so easily once something does peak my interest. Channeling my enjoyment of thrift shopping and music I've started making album reviews as a fun way to quantify my feelings about certain CDs and force myself to better understand what the band might've been experiencing and trying to express with their music. The only thing I'm really missing from this process is a discussion about the specific records I breakdown and so I was hoping someone here could show me the ropes as to how and where to post what and what sort of things are acceptable round these parts. I'm pretty new to the whole forum thing but it seems straightforward enough I'd just hate to accidently step on any toes. Glad to be here, even though I'm not sure where here is exactly...

Azminuzul likes this.
  3. Sarahtonin_

I’m new here as well. It’s a bit overwhelming at first just kind of joining a convo or trying to start one. I used to feel the same about owning physical copies of cd’s and movies. But I do love Spotify as the playlists I make, are mine. And most of the time I don’t sit down and listen to a full artists album. I would say thrift shopping is a hobby of mine. I find some really good books. Welcome!

One Man's Tracks likes this.
  4. Freud

Immortals with no morals, and no hang ups Prestigious

Nostalgia homie, nostalgia.

5. Beastcub

6. LastBlues

I lost or broke most of my cds lol. guess thats why I mostly listen to music online now.

7. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Tips on stopping loving someone so you can move forward as friends?

8. indecipherable

levitate levitate levitate levitate Prestigious

i'm laughing at the thought of referring to an rnb or pop singer as a "clean vocalist"

Azminuzul likes this.
  9. DJ Duncan Donuts

Nice to meet everyone here (until I find which o' y'all are horrific trolls). Name's DJ Duncan Donuts. I just left Rateyourmusic because the moderators lied about me directly and punished me for asking them for help in a situation only twice, and respectfully, too! Until they get it through whatever brains they claim to have that learning a little humility is, surprisingly, NOT satanic, I'll be making my forum home here (who knows, maybe a mod from there will be a regular user here and there won't be a damn thing he or she can do about what I say).

Anyway, I've heard almost 8,000 albums in total, seen over 1,200 movies, and have lists I'm publishing detailing all of them ranked from best to worst. Why did I do this? Simple. No one else did! I need to transfer my albums list to Google Docs (assuming Chorus.fm doesn't have a function for keeping a list of nearly 8,000 albums, though I hope I'm wrong), but my movies list... Well, I'll wait until I've earned the trust of the community before I go posting links. Thing is, I love both so much.

One more thing: Although I do have favorite genres and what not, I try to avoid critical thinking being tainted by favoritism by judging every genre fairly. Aristotle made it clear in "Poetics" that every genre is its own artform, so I am able to forgo my desert-island favoritism to judge all albums equally. Example: Although my favorite album is Paul Simon's Graceland for its quirky worldbeat style, I think the best is Led Zeppelin IV. If you get it in your head that I'm deciding it for you, I'll thump you. I wanna hear what you think is the best and what music means to you.

riotspray and ItsAndrew like this.
  10. DJ Duncan Donuts

Nice to meet you, and you take that back. ;)

11. just lokawo

hey

12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

13. DJ Duncan Donuts

Howdy. Btw, I'm not payed-subscribed, but does chorus.fm have any sort of user customized list feature?

14. xerixio

person

The other day, I listened to P!ATD for the first time since High Hopes (can I just say that was a major career bummer). Hated that song, still do. Just play some 'I Write Sins Not Trageties' and move on.

15. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

good post

DJ Duncan Donuts likes this.
  16. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

After putting it off for literally a decade, the discounted Amtrak rail pass finally has me taking a trip around the country I've always wanted to take!

17. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

19. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I forgot I never added you on discord before I took the break so I figure you still be in here from time to time

20. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

Wasn't sure where else to post this but one of my favorite Bemani/BMS music composers, SHIKI, just passed away and I'm actually pretty sad about it. Here's a few of my favorite songs of his.

Kiana likes this.
  21. Carmen SD

Trusted

Kinda crazy to see many people I went to high school with are divorced.

22. plagueofangel

Very sad dad

Coming up on 30 and it's not that weird but it's also super weird. Like I thought I'd have my shit figured out by now, lol. Some day, hopefully.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  23. Carmen SD

Trusted

Maybe I’m mistaken but I thought there was a “dream thread”. Anyway, I had a dream that I spent $1000 to get my hair colored for the first time in like 3 years. The guy doing my hair didn’t look like the stereotypical stylist, but who was I to judge. The cut/color was so awful. There was a chunk taken out of my hair and the color didn’t start at my root tips on half my hair. I could have done a better job. I complained and demanded my money back saying I could do a better job myself and I should have gone to someone else, that I grew out my natural hair, that I always had color in it since I was 12... That’s all I remember from the dream.

summertimejesus likes this.
  24. Broke the news of my relationship with my new Minnesota-based trans bf yesterday to my parents and extended family, and in doing so came out as bisexual and non-binary!

25. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

Congrats!!

Carrow likes this.