Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Forum Chat Thread (I) [ARCHIVED] • Page 532

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Sophos

Regular

Things that are deeply triggering are being fired off on Twitter by her still. how is this acceptable? She's telling straight lies

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  2. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

It's easy for you to say because you're not affected. I'm not sure if you understanding triggers or how that works anything, but it's very real. And it very much (obviously) affected multiple people on this website. It's not your flight. You don't get to decide if people should care or not you're not the one affected.

3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Here's my Foxy Shazam article. Probably missed a few things about their early years, I didn't even start listening to the band until The Church of Rock and Roll.

KimmyGibbler likes this.
  4. Pocketed this for later reading.

KimmyGibbler and JRGComedy like this.
  5. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

The tweets are pointedly hurtful statements made specifically towards a person who is suffering from the very disease she is making broad, insensitive generalizations about. That is not okay, nor is it okay to put the onus on the person triggered by them to "ignore it".

6. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

You're acting like she told him that his music taste sucks.

7. KimmyGibbler

Everywhere you look... Prestigious

Ugh, I hope this site doesn't get swallowed up in this kind of stuff before it even gets off the ground.

8. ari christos

Son. What. you're iterating a pretty gross sentiment which is basically "I hope y'all addicts get cleaned up so I can have fun on this forum"

alina, FTank, Robk and 5 others like this.
  9. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

No one has to take that advice but I find that sometimes it really is just better to quit reading something that makes you upset. For those familiar with my copy paste quote posts from the NC news site WRAL in apnet's politics forum, you'll know I've had to do just that. It just hurt to much to keep going.

KimmyGibbler likes this.
  10. PepsiOne

Yes yes can we ignore these issues and talk about how it's cold sometimes

11. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Man this site is one of the best communities, maybe THE best, I've encountered online in terms of acceptance and personally it's been a huge factor in my own enlightenment and understanding of others (going back to AP.net of course). Sucks to see people feeling the opposite of that right now. I've never heard of Anna before but I do think that the community, in general, is better than the comments that are making people upset here. Not saying anyone is wrong for what they're feeling about what's happened, I'm just saying that it sucks that people feel betrayed by what I feel is a great online community.

12. As much as I wish everyone only posted here, I don't really have a say in that. Heh, sorry, searching for a little levity because I'm stressed and it's my defense mechanism. My understanding is that there are a variety of people, mostly women, from these forums that feel safer on Twitter than they have participating in these kinds of threads.* So they choose to use Twitter as their medium - I can only recommend either attempting dialogue there or blocking the person on Twitter. I honestly do not have any other idea what to do beside that. I also, personally, don't feel comfortable demanding anything from someone. I think she has the agency to make her own decisions just like everyone else and I will react to those decisions. I hope to hear from her today, if I don't, I'll make decisions based on not hearing from her. I reached out as best I can.

*(I have been told this by multiple people. They feel bullied by some people here, and here we have people feeling bullied by them. So you can see my completely and utter loss at even knowing what to do to make this better. From where I am I see two sets of people that don't like each other, one group has basically already left and is on Twitter and Facebook, the other has been here but is now some are leaving. Like there's nothing I can do that's going to fix that.)

No posts will be deleted as long as no one goes on some awful spam binge or something. I totally respect that decision. I personally don't think statements by members, staff, or moderators on Twitter are associated with this website, mainly because of Drew's sports team selections (see, still super stressed), but I can absolutely see why someone would feel that way. They contribute articles and help on this site and you'd rather not be involved with anything they help with. I get it, and I respect that a thousand percent. Again, I am deeply sorry this happened.

phaynes1 likes this.
  13. phaynes1

Regular

Why is "ignore it/take it to the PMs" the common plan that people should follow? This is a public issue that has affected many. Why are so many okay with ascribing how others should deal with their pain? Baffling every time I see it.

14. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

That's not what I said. More to the point, disengagement is something that has helped me in the past, and I'm just speaking from the I here.

KimmyGibbler likes this.
  15. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

It was 32° this morning. None too pleased to say the least.

JulieLynn and KimmyGibbler like this.
  16. phaynes1

Regular

Again, I appreciate the response. I didn't expect answers and I certainly know you can't force anyone to do anything. I was more or less just venting, and felt like it needed to be said. Cheers.

17. KimmyGibbler

It was super nice this weekend and just started getting cold again today.

18. Your posts certainly aren't helping the situation. Telling someone to just log off isn't useful. The "words on the internet aren't real" argument doesn't make any sense in 2016, and it's especially ironic to make said argument on an internet forum. You have a right to your opinion, but maybe think about the implications of inserting it into any given situation.

fame, gonz (Alex), alina and 12 others like this.
  19. PepsiOne

I was referring to Kimmy's post about the forum being swallowed up

20. KimmyGibbler

I was merely suggesting that if Anna's Twitter feed is upsetting, then you should stop looking at Anna's twitter feed. What if what she is saying resonates with people who have friends or family who are addicts, and they can relate to her frustration? What about them? I know I can certainly relate to some of the things she posted. They are unpopular statements to make for sure, but feelings that I have felt when living with addicts. I actually appreciated those thoughts being said out loud.

I, of course, understand that not everyone shared my appreciation. Which is why the best course of action, I think, is to avoid engaging in content that you think might be harmful.

21. KimmyGibbler

I don't think we should ignore anything. Anna was expressing her perspective on this issue, you not agreeing with it doesn't make it less real to her and people who feel like her. If your level of disagreement travels into "harmful" territory it's probably best, for you, to avoid her twitter feed.

22. phaynes1

Regular

So am I wrong to gather that the general sentiment of that post is "if you feel harmed, the best course is silencing yourself" or nah

Aaron Mook, Nick, Deathco_019 and 5 others like this.
  23. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Gotcha.

24. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Yep yep yep

25. JulieLynn

Karma is the Guy On The Chiefs Prestigious

This is all very heartbreaking. I wish this person didn't post such a post and now here we are all fighting and its ruined our little peaceful place.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.