Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Forum Chat Thread (I) [ARCHIVED] • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Definitely think this is achieving that. I may have read over or missed it, but for the content portion, are you done with user submitted news?

2. No, that would definitely still be a section. I have a submit news button on there. It's just at the bottom of the news feed and not at the top.

3. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Ah gotcha! Wasn't sure how some of that was going to work initially, since you mentioned not necessarily doing AP.net part two.

4. [​IMG]

It's that kinda night.

5. Sophos

Regular

loving the look and feel of these forums. going to be poking around throughout the night...

alexmacwilliam and Jason Tate like this.
  6. Keagan Ilvonen

@Jason Tate just out of curiosity, with the prefixes, did you try out Artist? I was just thinking when making the Drake thread that Artist would be more encompassing than band.

7. I go back and forth on this a lot. I am still not sure which one I like best.

8. Keagan Ilvonen

I figured you had already thought of it haha, wouldn't expect someone who gets down to the finest details to overlook something like that ;-p

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. I have an avatar now

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. Sophos

Regular

its a p sick avatar...but so is mine

11. Haha, yeah, the main reason was that "album" and "artist" look very similar when you look quickly at something and they don't differentiate themselves on a quick look the way "band" and "album" do. I weighed that over it being "technically" more accurate for the moment. I could always change my mind again.

12. Playing around with a special style for tour dates.

13. Sophos

Regular

looks good and useful

14. Next up, I want a way to play music / media from the homepage without going into the replies. I think it'd be cool if you could pull all the media from the page into a slideshow as well. Could easily just go through and play all the music.

alexmacwilliam and Sophos like this.
  15. Sophos

Regular

that would be fucking awesome

16. I've been playing around with it a little, and I think it would be pretty cool. I like the idea of not having to go into the replies for videos, and you could quickly just go through and look at all the media that's been posted each day, really quickly.

I dunno, could be cool.

17. Sophos

Regular

yeah i think it'd be a great thing to implement, a lot of users would probably really like it because going into news threads can be pretty cumbersome as we all know. having what you want right there on the home page would be pretty nice

18. Besides the insane pop-ups and "social" shit (trying to read an article and there's three in-line popups already that make reading impossible) and the scroll jacking that makes me want to rip my fingers off... SubStream's website has to be the most user hostile music website I've ever seen.

10 MB FOR THE HOMEPAGE? WTF.

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 1.42.51 AM.png

This leads me to ....

The Website Obesity Crisis:
    Let me start by saying that beautiful websites come in all sizes and page weights. I love big websites packed with images. I love high-resolution video. I love sprawling Javascript experiments or well-designed web apps.

This talk isn't about any of those. It's about mostly-text sites that, for unfathomable reasons, are growing bigger with every passing year.

While I'll be using examples to keep the talk from getting too abstract, I’m not here to shame anyone, except some companies (Medium) that should know better and are intentionally breaking the web.

19. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

@Jason Tate I hate scroll jacking so much. Who thought that was a good idea? Who!?

20. People that hate their readers. It's gotta be the only reason. It's infuriating.

21. Keagan Ilvonen

I don't know why this just came to me, but did you try Artist and Record? Or did it just look weird?

22. I dunno, the word "Record" has always been weird to me. I feel like it's almost outdated now, I don't hear it as much. I'll think on it.

23. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

24. Thank you. Sincerely. That really does means a lot. It's been years of my life working on this -- most of it alone -- haha, so just to even have people seeing it, using it, and to actually like it. It really does mean a lot to me, so really, thank you.

I flat out love how great your icon looks on this screen.

25. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I actually put a lot of thought into this icon haha. Knew it had to be a superhero. Knew it had to be a woman. Kara/Supergirl is me on AP, so I had to rep Sara here now that she's alive and kicking again. Thought the colors would look awesome as well. And I was clearly right

Jason Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.