Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Forum Chat Thread (I) [ARCHIVED]

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Well, there's a new forum ... we've organized it similarly to the old forums, but have moved all "album" threads into the music forum along with band threads. Search is vastly improved + we added a new feature called "prefixes" to allow easy sorting of band and album threads.

But the general forum is still the place for -- well everything else.

Garrett L. and Jason Tate like this.
  2. Hey, some of my ancient reviews exist.

:blush:

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

This looks awesome and I'm not just saying that because Letters is there.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. The mobile version of this site is fucking awesome

Vincentbiz and Jason Tate like this.
  5. Greg Robson

gregrobson.net Moderator

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. Thank you! The entire thing was built with that in mind from the start. It needed to be as functional and great on mobile and the iPad as it was on a desktop. Speed, using type, color, and whitespace instead of graphics to make sure things looked great and scaled on all retina screens of virtually any size -- and then really trying to make sure that all the features that are available on desktop (if feasible) work on mobile as well. So you can take the experience everywhere. I've been using the mobile site a lot the past few days now that more people are here talking and I'm really happy with how it turned out and I like using it (as my late night status posts show).

Couple mobile tricks:
    1. Doubletap works like on AP.net to go to the bottom of a page.
    2. Multi-quote finally works on mobile.
    3. Turning the phone to landscape mode provides even more options now that the screens are bigger and can actually handle a more "web" like experience.
    Still a bit more want to do on it, but for a start I'm really happy with how it's come out.

(Side bar: I was unsure how I would like notifications and that whole system when I was building it when talking on the forums and all that, but I've really been loving how it works. The little pop-up, the icon up top, being able to check what they are from anywhere I am, it's really taken the experience of "who quoted me" to the next level.)

Vincentbiz likes this.
  8. Hey 20 registered members. :-p

9. the new animal collective album is fun

10. Keagan Ilvonen

So I started working at Sound Rink, wanted to let everyone know!

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. Congrats!

12. Keagan Ilvonen

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. Keagan Ilvonen

Meanwhile on AP.......

[​IMG]

14. Jason Tate Jan 21, 2016
    (Last edited: Jan 21, 2016)
    I turned registration back on for that Sam Means chat. Guess I should kill it again. Fucking Spin.

15. It exists.

[​IMG]

16. Keagan Ilvonen

Oh man, that looks great. Kinda reminds me of the HBO block from Apple TV.

17. So close now. Content side of the website is basically 99% done. Now I just gotta finish up some more things here on the forums.

Going to upgrade and optimize the webserver stuff. Time to get nerdy.

Attached Files:

18. Keagan Ilvonen

Oh man, I'm getting giddy just waiting for it.

19. fuck yeah - now I need to pick an avatar

[​IMG]

20. Hahahahahahhahaahaa. More proud of this one than even the "engaged" trophy I bet.

:heart:

21. Jason Tate Jan 25, 2016
    (Last edited: Jan 25, 2016)
    Working on the homepage and filling it up with some test content (yes, that's a post about Egg McMuffins). Almost ready for outside testing.

(One of my favorite little details is that I've made the favicon on the "content" side blue, and on the forum side dark grey, but using the same "C" -- so you can easily tell what is what when bookmarking or glancing at your tabs.)

Attached Files:

22. Chrisanne Grise

Haha. I was going to try and find an avatar for myself, but now I feel like I should wait a while longer...

Wharf Rat and Jason Tate like this.
  23. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Really liking how clean this looks.

24. By far my biggest goal: Clean, easy to read, easy to scan.

25. Sometimes Twitter feels too much like voyeurism to me. The Kanye West "rant" on Twitter today, watching people cheering, I get weirded out by this stuff these days. I can't not think it's our digital version of watching the Gladiator games or something.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.