Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Gemini Man (Ang Lee, October 11, 2019) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Apr 23, 2019.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Directed by Academy Award winner Ang Lee (Life of Pi, Brokeback Mountain), the action thriller stars Will Smith (Suicide Squad) as an elite assassin, who is suddenly targeted and pursued by a mysterious young operative who seemingly can predict his every move.
    The film, written by David Benioff and Billy Ray, also stars Clive Owen (Children of Men), Mary Elizabeth Winstead (10 Cloverfield Lane), and Benedict Wong (Avengers: Infinity War).

Before anyone says anything yeah this is similar to Looper

2. No idea what to think of this

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

putting will smiths parenthetical as suicide squad is cursed behavior

4. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Uhh... we'll see

5. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Surprised Ang Lee made something so visually bland. Is it because it’s 120 fps?

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

7. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Idk man

8. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Reactions are positive, at least as far as how it looks

9. username

hey you lil piss baby

Got tix to see in 2K 3D 60 fps with Ang Lee in attendance in two weeks :clap:

riotspray and gonz (Alex) like this.
  10. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

looks terrible and im absolutely in

11. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Interested in seeing this. Getting roughed up in reviews though it seems.

12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

looks awful. surprised ang attached himself to something so messy.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I thought it looked bad enough from the trailers, but I just found out David Benioff is involved so now I’m extra out.

Also I always forget that Looper exists. Can’t imagine this will make a bigger impression.

14. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

seeing it tonight in 3D+

saw an interview where Ang Lee coined the term 'bike-fu'

15. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Seeing this sometime this week in the HFR 3D, not expecting anything more than fun visuals

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Local AMC isn't playing this in 3d so I have to see it in 2d ,definitely not spending $20 on a ticket

17. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Going in a couple hours to a 3D HFR showing (assuming its 2k and 60fps)

18. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

feels like an HD Remaster of a video game for the PS2 with the plot of any generic action movie from 2001. All of the good stuff is in the trailers, aside from just seeing it in the format. which is interesting and cool, but for a fairly nothingy movie like it definitely falls flat. Will be cool when they do a marvel with this tech but til then /shrug.
    weird movie.

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

the CIA guy taking Will Smith's call while his son is in detention for jerking off in the middle of science class is one of the most insane scenes I have ever seen in a movie for no apparent reason
    Will and MEW had great chemistry and she did great with the action and am even more stoked for her in Birds Of Prey now
    Will was good at being charismatic and with the stuff of trying to figure out his place in the world as he ages, him being an aloof sniper with PTSD and to quote Kid Cudi night terrors every night was less realistic
    Clive Owen was so hammy
    besides the Dolly the sheep stuff it wasn't too obvious that this was first developed in 1997

Dan Quinlan and riotspray like this.
  20. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

The fact that he’s doubling down on all this high frame rate stuff bums me out.

Unless he makes a small family drama like his early movies like this. THAT would be interesting/weird as hell.

21. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

This felt like a long episode of a CBS drama. No highs or lows, just right down the middle mediocre. MEW can’t help be charming. Will Smith just makes his “I’m in a drama” face and other Will Smith looked surprisingly decent. The most surprising thing is you can say “motherfucker” in a PG-13 movie now.

I saw this is HFR 3-D and the clarity is amazing. Absolutely no grain on the screen and so detailed. But it also still looks like a soap opera, so I don’t know if it will ever catch on.

22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

23. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

The action scenes looked great in HFR but in every other scene it was incredibly distracting. And the script was awful. The only non-cliche moment in the script is when old Will Smith calls young Will Smith a virgin to prove that they’re the same person and it’s played 100% straight.

24. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Liked this way more than I expected to, and the HFR was definitely an experience. Was mostly impressed with the CGI until the very end sequence. Literally looked like a video game character walking around

Dan Quinlan likes this.
  25. dqwinny

THRILLHOUSE Supporter

i had a surprisingly great time with this.

loved the action scenes in the HFR.