Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

gates - Parallel Lives (June 3, 2016) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Apr 19, 2016.

1. atlas

Trusted

Here's my flaming hot #take for the day: I've always liked all of Gates' music more than all MovMou's albums (that's not a dig on MovMou I just really like Gates)

Jake Z likes this.
  2. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Nah nah no worries I didn't take it that way at all but we've had warnings about that conversation :-p

Jake Z likes this.
  3. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Don't worry, man. I've never even listened to MovMou before. I would right now, but I'm running through the new If These Trees Could Talk record.

4. Kmil

Trusted

Yup, this album is freaking great, so many good songs on here.

5. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Holy shit Shiver sounds great live

6. Kmil

Trusted

Although this album is less loud and more subdued, it feels more dynamic then "Bloom and Breath" there's a lot more interesting things going on in this musically. Really enjoying this after many repeated listens.

7. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Only listened to B&B just over a handful of times. I liked it but it just never held my interest. This is real good though.

8. Kmil

Trusted

My favorites have to be these so far

Eyes
    Shiver
    Penny
    House & Home
    Left Behind

9. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I've been a big fan of this band for a while but on first listen this might be their best work. This is great. You all weren't kidding about Shiver, what an ending

Kmil and Vivatoto like this.
  10. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

After a couple listens I love shiver and a couple others, but the rest blend into one for me. Solid album, but so far I think Bloom and Breathe is much more memorable.

amorningofsleep likes this.
  11. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

This is one of those bands I should love but I've never really been able to get into, something about them just doesn't grab me. Been listening to the new album this weekend and it's pretty decent, certainly more engaging than B&B for me at least, but not sure at this stage if it's something I'm going to want to come back to a ton. Hopefully it grows on me.

12. Iago

forbidden chalice.

I like this a lot.

13. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Reminds me of July by mineral

14. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

So many comparisons, but they're all good I guess :)) I listened to it the whole weekend, I feel it's an amazing album, so far I loved everything they've put out and I'd say they're doing some pretty unique things. I liked the EPs as well, but it's interesting to hear different takes on music from them!

My favorite so far is definitely "Color Worn", it has everything I like ;D from O'Brother-ish subdued vocals, to awesome sounding keys.

I get it! :)) I'm actually a big fan o B&B and maybe liked it more at first listen, but this one is a grower. I think both of these albums were diverse enough, but I understand where you're coming from - although somebody's already mentioned the same comment on the new one, and this I actually can't grasp, cause there's no too much of the same things repeated :)

Exactly that's what I was talking about ;D I'd say "Shiver" and "Penny" both, but the latter more in the form of its songwriting, while being more spacey, whereas "Shiver" makes me feel exactly like that era ;d

I'm also a huge fan of "Waves", same as B&B ;( but those are opinions of course ;D cool you quite much like the new one anyways! :)

15. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Working on a review of this now. Hope it will be up this week. Getting a lot of Clarity/MovMou/Mineral vibes as well.

Surely those things were intentional.

Bartek T. likes this.
  16. sawhney[rusted]

luv is blind

Shiver is one of the best alternative rock songs of the year.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  17. sawhney[rusted]

luv is blind

Excited to read!

18. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Really don't hear the Clarity comparisons tbh

amorningofsleep and js977 like this.
  19. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

only hear it in shiver

20. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

That's mostly this one song, but some parts are also Jimmy-like, however in this one the vibe is so similar ;o

21. sawhney[rusted]

luv is blind

Color Worn and Fade together bring this album down to an 8/10 to me. I'm not a big fan of the chorus of Color Worn, and Fade right afterwards doesn't pick me up enough for me to brush it off. :shrugs:

trevorshmevor likes this.
  22. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

@sawhney[rusted] what about that chorus? ;D I absolutely love it, the whole song is my favorite like I said before :) I guess 8/10 is still quite good though. "Fade" isn't the top for me here, but it adds some diversity at least.

23. sawhney[rusted]

luv is blind

I'm not really a fan of the phrasing and the melody. I just don't find it particularly engaging. Great that you love it though! Its not cause for me to skip it, but it falls slightly flat compared to most of the other songs to me.

24. NitrateDawn

Regular

This is a really great album. Better than B&B for me, I think because there's more variety. It's been really fun to watch this band ever since their first EP.

25. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

@sawhney[rusted] Oh I get it ;) was just curious, cause I still have plenty of lyrics to decipher, and I was curious if maybe that was the case or something, but seems it's just about different strokes all in all.