Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

gates - Parallel Lives (June 3, 2016) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Apr 19, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

okay just started this, the first song validates those movmou s/t comparisons

2. austindavispdx

Still on this side of the grass

Yes, surprising in a good way for me since I'm not much of a fan of B&B. Not saying I don't like the more aggressiveness, I just thought the album was more of the same and overdone from what they did before. I liked Parallel Lives right away but I'm still liking it more and more.

3. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I finally got a second listen in. I like it better than I did the first time. I still prefer B&B more, but that's honestly due to the heavier parts. But still, "Shiver" is a fucking beast.

4. dash64

This is my design

That last part of Left Behind....just so great.

austindavispdx likes this.
  5. atlas

Trusted

As soon as that synth part in Shiver came in I got the biggest grin on my face

6. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Shiver is very Bleed American / Clarity JEW

7. atlas

Trusted

Am I crazy if I think the guitar line in House & Home reminds me of something Coheed would do? So good

8. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Oh wow this is good. Instantly reminded me of MovMou self titled so I'm glad to see that mentioned here.

9. Jake Z

Regular

Interesting to see such a wide range of "it sounds like____". I am going to have to give this a spin soon.

10. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Very pleased with my listen this morning. Picking up the tour variant later tonight!

11. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

My overall opinion is that it gets better with each listen and that they are showcasing their talents more with this album. With that said, i dont think its on the level of some of the other stuff thats been released. I think if these guys continued this route, the next album could be seriously next-level

12. cwhit

okay i like this record. not disappointed by the comparisons, though i'm not sure the songs hit the peaks of most of the movmou songs. that record was a grower though, so we'll see. something magic in the rawness of some of those songs

the synth bridge in shiver was really cool

13. Jake Z

Regular

What are some similar albums you think this falls just short of?

Also, did you like the EPs and first LP?

14. cwhit

movmou s/t, for example, i imagine

i hear some beggars in "color worn"

OotyPa likes this.
  15. austindavispdx

Still on this side of the grass

Some might think this is crazy talk but I'm still leaning toward the first EP The Sun Will Rise as being my favorite.

NitrateDawn likes this.
  16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

The first two EPs are some of my favorite of the genre i think. Bloom and Breathe was pretty great but there was something really cool about the first two EPs that really made me like them most

But yeah if i were to rate this against albums by MovMou or Copeland, i would say this falls short of them along with the other albums it was compared to. i think there's a lot of potential but imo theyre still trying to truly hone their sound

17. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I think B&B is what MovMou's Waves should have been and MovMou's S/T is what this wanted to be.

18. cwhit

this is a good post.
    B&B is boring but definitely not as bad as waves, this tries to hit s/t heights but falls short.
    just finished this, good record though.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  19. Jake Z

Regular

I still cannot understand how fans of MM don't like Waves. I think it's a great record.

20. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I mean it doesn't sound anything like any of their other albums so...

But we're not getting into this. Some people hate it, some don't. Opinions whatever that's how people don't like it.

21. Jake Z

Regular

I wasn't trying to put down any opinions, it just surprises me that the record is hated by some, that's all.

I guess people who are don't like heavy parts or screams in music makes sense. Anyway, going into this album with open mind.

22. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Haha nah that conversation just went on for months in the MovMou's thread.

When it came out I liked heavier music and screams but I hated that album.

23. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I love Waves. Hearing them perform it is amazing

Jake Z likes this.
  24. Me & My Arrow

John | Align in Time

I think MM's self-titled is good but not great. It's serene and pretty, and I love that Greg found his comfort zone vocally, but large stretches of it don't emotionally engage me at all, even after it's become familiar from listening many times. Not sure why that is.

After first listen, I think the comparisons are valid, but this album is more varied and interesting musically (love the drums especially) and has more highlight moments. I would've enjoyed a little more edge, though. Think it'll be a rewarding repeat listen.

Jake Z likes this.
  25. Jake Z

Regular

Understand. Just didn't want my post to imply I was shitting on opinions bc that's the last thing I want when I post mine.