Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

gates - Parallel Lives (June 3, 2016) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Chuck!

Regular

I'm a huge fan of B&B, and on first listen, I'm sure I'm going to love this one too. Certainly a different sound, like everyone has noted. The MM comparisons are on-point, but it still sounds very much like a Gates album.

2. LJ Rime

Regular

Shiver kind of made my jaw drop. On to the next song.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  3. austindavispdx

Still on this side of the grass

In a good way? Sounds like a 90s alternative song (not a bad thing) and the ending was really surprising.

4. austindavispdx

One of a few reasons I can't get into B&B. It's refreshing not to hear any "living/longing to feel alive" lyrics.

5. LJ Rime

Regular

Definitely in a good way. Song had a really good groove to it and the ending was pretty awesome.

OotyPa and austindavispdx like this.
  6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Recording/writing and stuff, I miss those humans. Only reason I want a record to exist is mostly just an excuse for them to come hang out with me

Nick likes this.
  7. pauldunions

Regular Supporter

"Eyes" is a banger. Saw them play that one in Michigan and was super impressed

8. congruence

Got a light?

After a little more time with this I am starting to really enjoy it, particularly the vocal melodies. Instrumentally, obviously less technical than their previous releases but overall the songwriting has matured quite a bit so I'm fine with that as well. Agree with Copeland, Moving Mountains and Radiohead comparisons and I'll add that the less technical/more atmospheric guitar direction on this album kind of reminds me of what Foxing did on Dealer

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  9. Horrorca

Trusted

Shiver is like whoa... those guitar at the end, wow

definitely more enjoyable than the last one, so happy for this

10. Deathco_019 Jun 2, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 2, 2016)
    Deathco_019

Drummer

Alright, these comparisons and overall reaction are making me cave in to give this stream a listen. I've liked everything this band has done, but nothing has really grabbed me yet so maybe this will be the one.

Update: Liking this so far. Shiver is great, especially the last minute.

Update 2: I enjoy this. Need to give it more listens before I can say if I like it more than B&B, but I like that it's not as heavy/aggressive as that album was. Standouts include Shiver and the title track.

austindavispdx likes this.
  11. austindavispdx

The way it sounds like it's going to explode after the last time he says "through those eyes" but it just stops... I like it but it's frustrating too.

12. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Band's doing an AMA on Saturday

[​IMG]

13. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Just put the stream on, never listened to this band before but the hype has me curious.

14. Kmil

Trusted

Thought this was awesome after a few spins. I really like "Penny".

15. sawhney[rusted] Jun 2, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 2, 2016)
    sawhney[rusted]

luv is blind

Just starting to listen, this is going to be a phenomenal album to listen for these summer nights, which is what I said for Peripheral Vision last year.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT SHIVER WHOOO

16. travisred

Trusted Supporter

I wanna wait to listen to a higher quality version but you guys are getting me too pumped.

17. NitrateDawn

Regular

Well the album comes out tomorrow, so you don't have long to wait

18. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Might as well be years!

19. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Man, Shiver is just so good.

20. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Color Worn sounds like Beggars-era Thrice

21. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

That heavy guitar tone/sound in "Eyes" is dirty; I like it

22. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Wasn't here last two days, but caught the stream, listened to a hell lot of it already! ;D Found it to be quite surprising! I liked B&B and EPs more at first listen, due to the agressive parts and technical riffs and tapping parts, but this is stellar and I'm glad they've done a record like that! I'm sure it will grow on me! The soft vocal parts reminded me of O'Brother to add it to all the comparisons, but it's al spot on! ..The 90's vibe you're talking about, some parts reminded me of kinda spacey Jimmy Eat World hah ;D

23. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Have any of you ever listened to Owel? Some parts reminded me of that too.

24. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Yeah, we've talked about them either here, or MovMou thread. That's certain, Kevin also produced their new LP, and sang on the previous one, whereas I'm excited to hear the new one so bad!

25. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i love those people. so amazing live too