Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

gates - Parallel Lives (June 3, 2016) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Apr 19, 2016.

1. austindavispdx

Still on this side of the grass

Only two more days if you can wait. I don't know where others are getting it from but I just found a sketchy website stream. And I already pre-ordered it so I don't feel bad.

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

yeah i'm in no rush, haha. by that i just meant listen in general, didn't really want to like a pure noise record and i didn't care for the last, though the band has shown great potential. if they've really gone on the movmou path i hope they're off the label sooner than later

3. austindavispdx

Ohhh yeah I always forget they're on that label. Some uncool people with the label but if I like the music, I like the music. And I agree I'm not a fan of their last album. I like the two EPs but the full length just feels like more of the same, drawn out, overdone. The Sun Will Rise might still be my favorite thing they've done.

4. Horrorca

Trusted

all the MovMou comparisons really excite me... FRIDAY COME ON

5. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Okk all the examples make me even more excited, Copeland?! Well, would be awesome to hear them chanelling anything like that. MovMou has always been my go to band when comparing Gates to anything, but still! They're probably one of my favorite bands right now, and I fully enjoyed everything they've put out, the previous album was in my TOP. I don't have any expectations, I'm glad they're bringing some new formulas and so on.

austindavispdx likes this.
  6. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I've only listened once, and it was while I was doing yard work over the weekend, but I definitely got the Copeland meets Moving Mountains (especially the self-titled and split with Prawn era) vibes.

7. cwhit

all of this is p surprising to me, they felt like a band that would keep that edge to them. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

amorningofsleep likes this.
  8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Agreed, esp considering their live show was the loudest show I've ever been to--hands down

amorningofsleep likes this.
  9. cwhit

haven't seen them live since 2012, opening up for gifts from enola on their last tour. still sad i had to miss most of gifts set :(

10. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

it's not that much different to bloom & breathe really

11. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

12. austindavispdx

Sounds like you'll like it then. Full album stream in the above comment in case you missed it.

13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Listening now. So far, I hear more From Indian Lakes than Moving Mountains

14. austindavispdx

That's a good comparison too. Hopefully they finish/release their new album this year too by the way.

15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Overall, I don't think it sounds like Bloom and Breathe and don't think it sounds like Copeland. It sounds like newer Moving Mountains but more guitar-centered, like From Indian Lakes, or Author. Or something.

But it's a good record. It kinda sits in the background though. i need to give it a few more spins. There were some catchy songs which i didnt expect from them, and there were also some really soft and beautiful songs. It seems like a very nuanced album that needs time but will be worthwhile for those who are patient with it. The title track is seriously gorgeous

Bartek T. and austindavispdx like this.
  16. austindavispdx

What did you think of the end of "Shiver"? Don't want to give anything away but that really caught me off guard.

17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Some STRONG Radiohead vibes on some of these tracks.

KidLightning likes this.
  18. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Guitar part is crazy cool and that whole ending reminded me a lot of some 90s/early 2000s emo. probably an awesome song to hear live.

interesting to explore the poppier sides of this band. absolutely not a bad thing at all

19. Horrorca

Trusted

this is sick - better than the last one : )

20. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Idk it sounds a fairly natural B&B evolution to me. They've learned how to use the "heavier" moments better and evolved their soundscape in the process. I don't think there's a song here that wouldn't fit on B&B in other words.

21. austindavispdx

Referring to the poppier side and not having a song that wouldn't fit on B&B.... Not sure "Penny" would fit. Also that song is pretty cool musically, but lyrically almost cringe worthy.

22. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

This is way better than anticipated. Way different sound than the previous ep's and full length.
    His voice sounds better at this tempo

23. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I don't pay too much attention to their lyrics after B&B. They weren't terrible, but every song centered around the same themes. This band does more with their songwriting, at least for me

24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Agreed. Their lyrics have never been a strong point for me.

25. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

This album just reminded me Athletics exist. Are they doing anything recently.