Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

gates - Parallel Lives (June 3, 2016) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Apr 19, 2016.

1. sawhney[rusted]

luv is blind

The Thing That Would Save You is their best song yooo. The trio of Born Dead, Low, The Thing That Would Save You would be a GOAT EP

Iago, OotyPa and Zac Djamoos like this.
  2. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Just had my first listen. Don't think I can make any decisions on it until I do a second.

3. Horrorca

Trusted

is there a stream for this or did it leak?

4. amorningofsleep

Leak.

5. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Any good?

6. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

I noticed it leaked, but I'll wait, I'm too excited for it to give it a first listen in bad quality ;p

7. amorningofsleep

I mean, it wasn't bad. But it also really didn't do anything for me.

8. Jusscali

Booo

9. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

But what was your stance on the two singles they had released? ;)

10. amorningofsleep May 30, 2016
    (Last edited: May 30, 2016)
    amorningofsleep

I mean, I thought the first one was ok. I'm more a fan of their heavier parts. They may have been, maybe one heavyish part the whole record.

11. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

That's alright :) so maybe I shouldn't get worried, I totally enjoy both singles, and I like the second one even more actually :) I like them getting heavier at some points, but I guess this smooth sound might be a breath of fresh air too.

amorningofsleep likes this.
  12. amorningofsleep

I don't want to turn anyone off because of my taste. You'll probably enjoy it. It's just, I dunno, none of the songs really stood out to me at all. Maybe I'm so used to the intricate guitars and expect them in every song. It just felt like a safe record to me.

13. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

That's fine ;) maybe it will grow on you, and in my case - I'm still excited, and I'll say what I think about it in a few days ;D

14. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

just impulse bought the milk and red vinyl. hope this is decent.

15. sawhney[rusted]

luv is blind

That's really exciting to hear, because I thought the most uninteresting parts of the first record to be the heavier sections.

Nick likes this.
  16. Jake Z

Regular

Ugh. Love this band for the post rock music with heavier intense vocals thrown in, which isn't really done by many bands at all. There are tons of bands doing the layered music with chill vocals out there. I might check it out but expectations dropped a ton.

17. congruence

Got a light?

The opener on here is really beautiful. Have to spend more time with the rest of it but overall it is a lot more chill/laid back for sure but still has the quiet/loud dynamic going on at times.

18. Horrorca

Trusted

in general, I think it's good that bands move away from quiet/loud dynamics - it's been done to death by now

19. congruence

Got a light?

If a band does it well I'm fine with it, and Gates did, however I can at least appreciate the fact that they did something different this time around instead of making the same album twice

20. austindavispdx May 31, 2016
    (Last edited: May 31, 2016)
    austindavispdx

Still on this side of the grass

I put this in the Moving Mountains thread and I guess this is a more appropriate place but...

Just heard the full album and I think anyone who likes Self Titled style Moving Mountains will like it. And any other softer Gates stuff. Sounds like a good mix of the two with maybe a hint of Copeland.

Edit: To add to that, I think it's great. More cohesive and still more variety than Bloom and Breathe. I still can't get much into that one cause it was just more of the same from them.

21. Jake Z

Regular

And the softer style done like this and Moving Mountains S/T hasn't been done a million times? Very few post rock bands do the loud/ quiet thing, and this band did it well. Then again, I typically like emotion/aggression in my vocals.

22. Horrorca

Trusted

what

Mogwai, GY!BE, EItS, MONO

anyway, I just think it's the "softer style" as you call it, is something I enjoy more and feels less cliché

23. Jusscali

Only a few tracks in but yeah, this is MM self titled part 2. Not a bad thing, but not what I necessarily thought I wanted.

24. austindavispdx

Still on this side of the grass

Does that mean it's still something you want though? ha

25. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

These comparisons are actually making me want to listen, didn't want to have to

Zac Djamoos and OotyPa like this.