Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Gang of Youths - angel in realtime (February 25, 2022) • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Mary V, Jun 12, 2021.

1. “And when my old man was near to the end/you loved his broken body in thе same way that I did” oh my god

2. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

love the song, hope they at least give us an EP or something during the wait haha

3. 'It's the only song that sounds anything like we used to' Dave Le'aupepe on Gang Of Youths' comeback

The new music sounds very, very different

As a comeback single, ‘The Angel of 8th Ave’ rings like a natural evolution of what Gang of Youths did on Go Farther In Lightness and 2015 debut album The Positions. But don’t get too comfortable, because what comes next might really surprise you.

Le’aupepe confirms a new body of work is coming “at some point in the next year or so” and will sound “extremely different or could potentially polarise people.” He wouldn’t give away much, but did say the single is “about as close to what people would have Gang of Youths as in 2017, when we did our last anything

Rowan5215 likes this.
  4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

oh boyyyy

Mary V likes this.
  5. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I don't mind a one-off single and didn't know what to expect from this at all...but teasing it like a week ahead and doing an album art reveal for it is a little much.

JBoch and .K. like this.
  6. Mary V Jun 15, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 15, 2021)
    I mean, the band needs to test the waters and gather fan reactions. It’s been four years since Go Farther and we all know how quickly mainstream music listeners lose interest in any artist who’s “taking too long” to release the follow-up to an extremely successful record. I personally love a campaign like this - a phone number, some teasing online before releasing the single - and believe that this is only the beginning.

GoY won’t be the only band waiting to release an album later this year or in 2022. The necessity of touring will present itself and if they want a huge homecoming tour, there’s no way that will happen until the Australian federal government loosens the two-week quarantine requirement and open up international travel to anyone who’s fully vaccinated. The album will come when they’re ready - maybe they’re still finalising the press campaign, vinyl distribution, music videos, tour dates, etc. and all the hype will be worth it.

7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Bands love to talk about new records and how different they are, but I think generally if you make a good record real fans will be there. These guys have proven they make good music. It is neat that the wanted to make one more song to please fans an wrap up an era in way, but fans usually have diverse tastes so what they do next may be something familiar to fans. I guess we’ll see, but I am looking forward to a new Gang of Youths record and will be listening to Angel way too much in the following weeks, months and years.

8. Rowan5215

oh yeah, every body of work (even the Let Me Be Clear EP) this band has released has been absolutely stunning, I have absolute faith they'll hit us with another classic

9. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

they also love to do this and then release a record that was not all that different than before so I'll believe it when I hear it

.K. likes this.
  10. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

video's perfect. fuck, it really feels like summer now.

disambigujason, Mary V and .K. like this.
  11. phaynes12

real ones know solar power brought the summer but this is nice and breezy yes

12. Dudes rock

13. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I change my mind, song is absolutely incredible. Really feels like a perfect sendoff of an era, joyous in ushering in a new sound

it’s not so much the sound of the band, but as long as the band is able to capture the same feelings…the cathartic release and optimistic outlook after a period of personal turmoil, I could care less what it sounds like.

Mary V likes this.
  14. phaynes12

song is too fantastic to not run back go farther. i absolutely love the last minute or so

15. phaynes12

album does the gaslight anthem’s sound better than that band ever did, while also expanding to sounds beyond anyone in that scene

ezmo311 likes this.
  16. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I just realized Frank Turner had been talking about a new album, released a song, but then it was just a single and said the album would come in 2022. Same thing sort of for GoY. Just ready for a new album from both.

17. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

So…EP?

.K., JBoch and Rowan5215 like this.
  18. Rowan5215

hell yes

the cover of "Both Sides Now" on the last EP is a work of art

CarpetElf likes this.
  19. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

So is this the tease for the tease for the announcement about the announcement?

Rowan5215 likes this.
  20. Rowan5215

they're on that Tom DeLonge hype methodology

21. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

That cover of Blood needed a proper recording for the Go era. I’ve been listening to Angel a lot and it’s be great if it could be part of a 3-5 song EP. that’d ease the bridge of time to finish an album even more than a single. Plus they could introduce one song with the new style on the EP to prepare fans, plus covers tend to go over well.

Their All My Friends cover is also pretty awesome.

CarpetElf and JBoch like this.
  22. The_Pioneer

Regular

Single is great and I’m really looking forward to whatever they release.

Is anything before Go Farther worth digging into? I kinda skim those songs every once and a while and it kinda seems that they didn’t really hit their sound until the most recent album (maybe excluding Magnolia).

23. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

i think let me be clear is a really good ep and precursor to gfil

24. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I can't be the only one that hears an upbeat The National

25. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

i do for sure