Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Gang of Youths - angel in realtime (February 25, 2022) • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Mary V, Jun 12, 2021.

1. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Feels like a song that could have been on Go Farther, but faster. Yep, excited for a new record.

Argus likes this.
  2. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Yeah I like this

3. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

Love it!

I’ve got a feeling this is gonna be a loooooong rollout coming off the recent success.

4. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

So this going to be a single only and not an album to coming by the same name? Stop scrapping and and restarting albums. There’s probably so much goodness there that dwarves to be released.

6. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Enjoy the song, not the absolute barnburner of a return I was expecting, but it’s great!

7. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Love it. So good to hear Dave's voice again.

8. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

"I started writing this about four years ago and we've done 15 versions of it. It's probably the only song that you'll hear from us from now that sounds remotely kind of what we sounded like the previous kind of six to eight years that's intriguing."

As for when we're getting a new album, Dave said, "It's done because the caveat is nothing with me, as Tom [Hobden] has found out in the two years, nothing with me is ever done. We actually scrapped the album twice and restarted." Tom added, "It's ready when it's ready. You know, I'm not, I'm not gonna rush it."

To me, this reads like Angel of 8th Ave won't be included on LP3.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  9. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

That’s awesome that they’re changing things up, seems like a send-off of an era of the band.

JBoch likes this.
  10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Oh I thought this was the start of the rollout….sounds like it’s not the case?

11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Trying to generate social media buzz, generating a new blue red and white look and announcing artwork made me think we were getting an album called Angel of 8th Ave with a single of them same name. I guess a little more clarity in the future for releases would help.

Glad to have a new single and back to waiting for a new album.

disambigujason likes this.
  12. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Hell of a build up to a one off single

13. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It could have been easily resolved by saying “new single” in the hype. Glad the song is good.

14. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

They literally did.

Matthewconte likes this.
  15. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I guess I missed that one or was distracted by my optimism hahaha. There was a lot of new postings and I don’t think I’m the only one who also thought Angel of 8th Ave was a single “only” and didn’t have anything to do with an album of the same name.

If it read “new single Angel of 8th Ave” and not just a cover of what I thought was album art for a record called Angel of 8th Ave because of the hype it may have been clearer.

16. abw123

Trusted

I miss the days when bands would announce single and album at the same time. Seems like we are guessing more often than not these days.

disambigujason and .K. like this.
  17. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Especially when we know they’ve been working in the studio. I thought Dave was writing a record about the loss of his father. I saw a few clips, and there was an indication they were recording. Then I saw the album was scrapped. Then all of a sudden the was a title, followed by a release date, and some art.

I don’t follow social media too closely and maybe made a few assumptions, but I agree that it was always nice when an album title, release date, art, single and track list showed up at the same time or within the same week.

18. Leftandleaving

maaaaaaaaan

Cameron likes this.
  19. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I was under the assumption this was the start of the album cycle, likely because I'm used to the old way rollouts happened. The single is decent.

20. Leftandleaving

i dont mind the new 'string of one off singles' trend tbh. just disappointing weve been waiting for years for just one song. if this was at least the start of a slow drip thatd be cool

21. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i frankly hate the trend

JBoch, thebloodhound and Zilla like this.
  22. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

They put a lot of effort into their last album with music transitions and stuff. I get some bands doing one off singles or being singles bands, but these guys can do one heck of an album.

23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

And this song is very good. It does feel like it shares some elements/moments from previous songs intentionally.

24. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Song is perfect. Can't wait for album

.K. likes this.
  25. BenSmith94

Trusted

Not a bad single, i'm sure I'll grow to like it more and more