Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Gang of Youths - Go Farther in Lightness (August 18, 2017) Album • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by jdr2187, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

COLLAB WHEN

Mary V and morken like this.
  2. MikeERayner

Trusted

3. dlemert

Trusted

Checked out this album on Kensrue's recommendation.

I'm floored, this is so good.

4. MikeERayner

Trusted

Glad you’re enjoying it!

Their set from ACL is being streamed at 20:35 EST :)

5. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I totally missed that they're going to be opening for Foo Fighters in Detroit next week. Super bummed out that I won't be able to make it. Hopefully this run of shows gets them more exposure here!

6. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

The Heart is a Muscle makes me want to hug strangers.

Zilla, morken, Mary V and 1 other person like this.
  7. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

Every friday for the last few weeks, the first thing I've done when I get home from work is to crack open a cold one, put on The heart is a muscle, and dance a little while I start making dinner. Puts me in a fantastic mood for the rest of the evening.

JBoch and Mary V like this.
  8. JBoch Oct 18, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 18, 2018)
    JBoch

Trusted Supporter

What does everyone think about The Positions and how it compares to this album? I tend to think that GFIL has more great songs, but feels a lot less cohesive than Positions. The middle stretch of GFIL drags on and I end up skipping ahead after Do Not Let Your Spirit Wane to get to Let Me Down Easy. I'm especially not a big fan of Achilles Come Down.

9. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I love it all. It's longer with more tracks but it feels more cohesive than The Positions. Persevere is one of my favorites off the album.

10. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Both great...Go Farther is better I think. Positions has a lot of great stuff on it, it's a little bit quieter and more reserved somehow, though.

11. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

The Positions is an indie rock masterpiece which immediately established the force of this band's convictions and gave us some of their best material to date (that Magnolia-Kansas-Knuckles White Dry run? fuck-off good)

of course it gets kind of dwarfed beside the ambition, flow and sheer scale of Go Farther but it's still magnificent in its own right

Mary V likes this.
  12. GBlades

Trusted

I finished GFIL and then listened to The Positives. TP did not click for me at all and I think it's probably because GFIL was such a fantastic album.

13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

GFIL is a masterpiece imo. The Positives is a good foreshadowing record though. Kind of like Sad Songs to Alligator.

14. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

I'm gonna start diving into this band at work today. Everything I've heard about them makes me think I''m gonna love them.

15. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Okay wow I fucking love this. The snare tone reminds me of The National, and their sound like Gaslight meets The Replacement meets the National, I am in love.

Mary V, Justin Roux, morken and 3 others like this.
  16. abw123

Trusted

Go Farther is way better, although it's a long album. Not a fan of the 3 little interludes, feel they drag the album down, but the proper songs are great.

sawhney[rusted]2 and CarpetElf like this.
  17. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I’ve only listened thru the positions a few times, and for me magnolia is the only standout, but each time I do listen to it I like it. As said above I think it’s good foreshadowing but GFIL is the finished masterpiece.

ezmo311 likes this.
  18. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

That's kind of how I felt when I first heard it, but now I find myself coming back to the entire album as much as GFIL. Vital Signs, Restraint & Release, and Sjamboksa are all fantastic, and I love The Overpass as a closer. It's slower but a perfect vibe for a fall evening.

disambigujason likes this.
  19. morken

I'm back in my Gang mode, where I can't listen to anything but GoY. Been like that for a few days now. This band's catalog has definitely taken longer to really grasp than any band I've discovered over the last few years, but now I'm at a point where I feel like their music will be very important for years ahead. If they keep making music, maybe my entire adult life, who knows.

My anticipation for the MTV Unplugged DVD is through the roof, to put it mildly.
    (still need to get a hold of a DVD-reader and a DVD-ripper though, heh. Who uses DVD in 2018)

sawhney[rusted]2 and Mary V like this.
  20. Not sure if the MTV Australia site works worldwide, but their unplugged concert is available to watch online:

MTV Unplugged Melbourne: Gang Of Youths | MTV

morken likes this.
  21. morken

Nope, doesn't work, think I've tried it before as well. Guess that's an IP address thing, which I'm sure can be worked around, but I wanna have the concert available on my AppleTV etc anyway, so I'm fine with buying a physical copy and ripping it. Maybe they'll release it digitally eventually, but it doesn't seem like it, based on other MTV Unplugged concerts.

Mary V likes this.
  22. JBoch Oct 23, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 23, 2018)
    JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Edit: WOAH. Chills during multiple songs. What a band!! At first the crowd didn't seem to have any idea who they were, but by the end everyone loved them.

thebloodhound, Mary V and morken like this.
  23. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

This band has the potential to be absolutely gargantuan

24. morken

Fantastic performance. I'm gonna watch this again come friday night. Beers will be had.

JBoch likes this.
  25. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

The MTV Unplugged album out today is really great