Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Gang of Youths - Go Farther in Lightness (August 18, 2017) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by jdr2187, Aug 22, 2017.

1. jdr2187 Aug 22, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 1, 2017)
    jdr2187

jdr2187

Gang of Youths is an Australian rock band that I think would appeal to a lot of people around here. The new album came out last week and It's incredibly good.

RIYL; The National, Bruce Springsteen, The Gaslight Anthem, The Killers

2. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

This cd is so good. I'd never heard of them before but this will undoubtedly end up on my best of 2017 list. Definitely think fans of The National will like this a lot, also as you mentioned Bruce, probably fans of San Fermin as well.

Persevere is such a sad song. Highly recommend reading the lyrics while listening to this cd.

DejaMoi and jdr2187 like this.
  3. skoopy

Regular

I'm honestly enjoying this more than science fiction. Just an unbelievably enjoyable album.

4. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I'm gonna check this out, their song Magnolia is great

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  5. Dave Diddy

Yeah I think I've listened to this 5 times since it came out compared to once for Science Fiction, and I am/was a huge Brand New fan.

6. jdr2187

jdr2187

Same here. I like the Brand New album, but right now this album has my attention.

7. Mattww

Regular

Love the singles for this but what's with the long gap between Aus/US release and Uk/Eu release dates? It's almost two months apart. I love in the uk and can't listen until October.

8. This rocks, been listening to it a bunch the last few days

9. jdr2187

jdr2187

10. Dave Diddy

Man I can't stop listening to this cd. It's just so damn good. Persevere is up there for one of the saddest songs I've heard.

jdr2187 likes this.
  11. jdr2187

jdr2187

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Every time I swap to something else I end up coming back to this. I can't believe this isnt more poplular around here. I have to assume it's just because people haven't given it a shot yet.

DejaMoi likes this.
  12. Dave Diddy

Yeah I guess. Not really sure how to get people to listen to it though. Maybe if you and I just keep having a conversation the thread will stay on the front page and people will eventually notice haha.

DejaMoi likes this.
  13. jdr2187

jdr2187

Haha good plan. I'm hoping these guys will come to the US sometime soon. Im thinking since they are still relatively unknown it would mean they would play some pretty small/intimate venues, which would be awesome.

DejaMoi likes this.
  14. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Lot going on in this album but I enjoyed my first listen a ton. Need to read along with the lyrics next time.

15. Dave Diddy

I love the lyrics throughout the album. Be prepared to get depressed when you get to Persevere.

16. jdr2187

jdr2187

Here's a pretty cool little video about the bands origin story. Also gives a little perspective into some of the lyrical content on the album.

17. skoopy

Regular

Absolutely addicted to this. These guys truly deserve gaslight anthem/the national popularity around here.

jdr2187 likes this.
  18. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Oh shit this is awesome.
    I listened to their first album first and though the Springsteen and National comments were ridiculous. I totally see it now.

Dave Diddy likes this.
  19. Dave Diddy

Yeah I was a little skeptical when I first read the lofty comparisons but these guys blew me away.

20. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I've been listening to the opener non-stop.

21. jdr2187

jdr2187

For me I think the National comparisons are mostly in terms of vocals. Sometimes the Gang of Youths dude's voice is spot on Matt Berninger.

22. lina555

Regular

I never heard him. Can you share his video or sound?

23. jdr2187

jdr2187

24. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Man, this is hitting me right now. Can't believe I waited so long to listen.

Dave Diddy, Danny and jdr2187 like this.
  25. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I don't think he sounds anything like Berninger at all. His delivery on a couple tracks, maybe. There was one or two tracks that were organized in a way that reminded me of them. The best comparison is easily The Hold Steady mixed with Bruce Springsteen. His voice is a blend of Finn and Springsteen.