Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Game of Thrones (HBO) TV Show • Page 573

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Mar 9, 2016.

1. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’ve seen posts like this for Syrio and Stannis and Littlefinger and anyone else who wasn’t brutally killed onscreen.

Leftandleaving and Wharf Rat like this.
  2. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Ok now I just saw one that says Little Sam will sit on the throne because he has white walker blood and the white walkers will return. Wtf.

3. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

There's also just a different element to those deaths as the show goes on where they feel an obligation to give those long-term characters a more meaningful death or something. The Walking Dead went through the same thing.

You have the core cast of characters, some of them get axed early on and it's awesome and surprising and ruthless. Then you have the characters who make it through 5 or so seasons. Then what do you do? You can kill them off in a similarly uncaring way you used to kill off characters at the beginning of the show, but it would just feel like a waste having them survive this long just for that to happen. You just can't really deal with it the same way.

Both shows kind of just chose to save major character deaths for season finales or the big hallmark episodes. Some of them (Littlefinger, Jorah, Theon) kind of had most of their major story already played out, but the show kept them around until they felt like they needed a big character to die. It's just tough to get right.

Zilla likes this.
  4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m a big fan of the memes where Little Sam is a communist but I have absolutely no idea where that started.

5. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Martin also had at least three times the amount of characters to work with.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  6. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Never seen these.

7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I think it might be in those TLDW recaps? I tried to find some just now and I can’t, but I know I’ve seen it as a weird running gag in the fandom.

8. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Is the TLDW recap out there for this week?

9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, I posted it a couple days ago but it got buried. There are some great screengrabs about war crimes that I need to save for future use.

coleslawed likes this.
  10. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Good boi ghost

David87, Davjs and CarpetElf like this.
  11. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Davjs, Taketimeandfind and GrantCloud like this.
  12. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

He faced death and lived. He can take a dragon

GrantCloud and BTDandFeelingThis like this.
  13. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

If a hypothetical person is complaining about plot armor now but was cool with Jon Snow being brought back from the dead maybe "plot armor" isn't the real issue.

CarpetElf and BTDandFeelingThis like this.
  14. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I get that people are annoyed with hearing the term "Plot Armor" now, but honestly, the types of situations that are really driving people crazy this season are fairly easily avoided. "The Long Night" was full of little vignettes where they actively tried to fake the audience out and heavily imply a character was dead only to have them miraculously be fine, similar to how Peter Jackson loves to do throughout the LOTR movies. It is a dumb thing to do really is not necessary as there is plenty of drama already happening all around. Most of the complaints I am reading are pointing this type of thing out rather than the overall idea that 'yeah, our main characters are going to survive through a lot of shit that should kill them because show'.

I do sort of think it is a silly thing to harp on either way, but to me this type of nitpicking is really indicative that the show is just flat out no longer working for a lot of people where it once did very much.

OotyPa, Leftandleaving and Wharf Rat like this.
  15. Davjs

Trusted

I mean, having a twist (even a poor one because everyone knew he was coming back) isn't really the same as plot armor.

I'd describe plot armor more of like...being on the front lines on a battle of crazy undead that you are barley hanging on right off the bat...but then an hour later you are still alive even though everyone else is dying and you were on the front line, but still barely hanging on. Then the dead arise a 2nd time and you are still barely hanging on. You should be dead, but can't because you got that plot armor on....

16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

May I interest you in something not fictional then?

Brother Beck and Anthony_ like this.
  17. Davjs

Trusted

What you got?

Brother Beck likes this.
  18. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Life.

Davjs and Brother Beck like this.
  19. Anthony_

"Plot Armor" is just the plot. If every character in every work of fiction died every time it would be realistic for them to do so, regardless of their importance to the story being told, there would be no stories. Luke Skywalker has plot armor when he survives the drop at the end of Empire. It should've killed him! But he's essential to the plot, so he survives. Knocking something for "plot armor" is such a lame CinemaSins-y form of nitpicking.

Kyle Max and CarpetElf like this.
  20. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

I feel like the plot armor has been earned by the characters. It doesn’t subvert my expectations or anything.

21. Davjs

Trusted

Oh I see what's happening here.
    [​IMG]

I stand by, as much people do:

22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Oh no you didn't!!!

23. Anthony_

Bran, a small child, survives being shoved out of a window hundreds of feet in the air in the very first episode of this show. But yeah, plot armor is a huge problem now for sure for sure lmao

CarpetElf likes this.
  24. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I feel like you’re completely ignoring the actual problems people are having and you’re just making fun of the phrase “plot armor”

25. Anthony_

If the problem is “characters are now surviving situations in which it is entirely unbelievable that they would do so, solely because of plot reasons”, then how am I ignoring the problems people are having?

CarpetElf likes this.