Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Game of Thrones (HBO) TV Show • Page 392

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Mar 9, 2016.

1. currytheword

Trusted

Which parts of GoT or the books have majestic moments? The feel and tone of his books aren’t anything like LotR and I’ve always loved the gritty and grounded feel of things in the show so it never made the supernatural parts feel too “out there.”

Cameron and theagentcoma like this.
  2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Realism is one thing but Game of Thrones’ lighting is pretty flat across the board. There’s not a ton of dynamics to the cinematography, when it works it works well but when it doesn’t it’s just not as visually interesting as it should be. The last time I remember finding the lighting and colors really striking might have been when Jon and Ygritte were in the caverns. All the battles look and are lit the same.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  3. Nathan

I have the same issue with post-Whedon MCU

CarpetElf likes this.
  4. currytheword

Trusted

I’m just gonna agree to disagree on that one. Cinematography is not something this show lacks imo.

theagentcoma likes this.
  5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

This show could definitely use more lighting. It could be lit 150% more and still come across realistic and gritty. Maybe they needed the darkness to hide budget issues with make up and costumes in the early seasons, but definitely not now.

coleslawed likes this.
  6. currytheword

Trusted

We forget we're dealing with a show that is lit by chimney fire and torches, with an occasional sunny sequence. The darkness of scenes fits the tone of the show, especially the last two seasons which have been noticeably, intentionally bleaker/darker. If we're talking specifically just the quality of the lighting and production itself, I have never seen that be an issue with this show or any show really produced by HBO. Rarely does CGI in the show look too telling or bad to me.

Contender and JBoch like this.
  7. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I hate how dark the show is honestly. Unless I’m in a pitch black room with absolutely no glare on the tv I can’t see what’s going on approximately 25% of the time.

Edit: I should say it’s not just a problem with this show. It’s most current “prestige” tv. Every show learned the wrong lessons from breaking bad.

EASheartsVinyl and AFoolsGlory like this.
  8. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

The darknesses is certainly a challenge when I’d be watching episodes during the day time the glare from my windows ... but I love the way it looks. The darkness is great for me.

Another show which isn’t similar but has moments where it’s very dark and filmed intentionally that way which I LOVE is Bates Motel.

currytheword likes this.
  9. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

We definitely need more color and brightness in movies and shows these days. Thinking of the colors in Mad Men from the clothes and set decoration, it’s beautiful.

Of course it has to be natural and not forced, so it makes sense Game of Thrones is darker than normal.

10. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

The show is dark and full of terrors

coleslawed, GrantCloud, Matt and 7 others like this.
  11. currytheword

Trusted

Also, sometimes changing your tv settings makes a whole world of difference. I never have issues watching dark movies/shows, but I also am one of those people who has different display settings on my TV depending on what i'm watching/doing/playing.

Actually have had 3 different friends own 1080p or 4k smart TV's to where I took notice to that lack of quality in the screen when I was over. I casually offer to mess with the settings a bit and wind up showing them they've thought their TV quality sucks cause they had stupid things like "Eco" mode on, which dims your TV significantly from normal display standards. Finding a calibrated or vivid setting and tweaking the sharpness/black space definition so it isn't overbearing is key with GoT.

I know this is a weird/awkward quirk to have, but I once saw on Strange Addiction a woman enjoyed going to her friend's houses, locking herself in their bathrooms and pulling the hair build-ups from their drains/bathtub out to play with. She loved the smell, texture, everything....

So I find mind acceptable.

12. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

The only time I had an issue with the darkness was during my rewatch when I’d watch on my phone at the gym. I had to take off my screen protector because it made all the nights watch/winterfell/interior castle scenes impossible to see

13. Nathan

Mad Men was the last show I watched to really nail cinematic lighting. Most others are way too dark and monotone or bright and saturated

SteveLikesMusic and CarpetElf like this.
  14. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

O/U on CarpetElf throwing up from anxiety?

15. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Binge watching this, the difference between the 1st season and the 2nd is staggering.

16. currytheword

Trusted

You guys wanna see a very dim show? Sabrina.

I love it, but I definitely feel the general darkness level of the show is the highest i've ever seen. Even in restaurants and the schools lol.

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  17. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I usually watch GOT in very low/no lighting anyway

18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Maniac I thought had some fantastic lighting

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  19. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

How do you watch eight seasons of this show and not know Cersei's name haha

20. currytheword

Trusted

Who didn't know this!?

21. I was almost certain this would leak early and it hasn’t. And now I’m 100% more anxious and paranoid for tonight’s episode.

Gonna SUCK saying bye to some of these characters.

22. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

23. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Maybe it’s because I just saw avengers last night, but I’m starting to get a feeling that the body count won’t be as high as I’m expecting it to be

CarpetElf likes this.
  24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Allllright bro maybe don’t say anything else about Avengers

25. currytheword

Trusted

I've sadly already had the internet ruin one part of Avengers for me. I have yet to ever have that really be an issue in life, since I generally either don't mind them or just don't go on certain sites until i've watched. Endgame is one of few things I was avoiding them for and then boom, the first two words of a tweet from a friend were a huge spoiler.