Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Game of Thrones (HBO) TV Show • Page 384

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Mar 9, 2016.

1. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

GUys.....I can't get enough of the Jenny of Oldstones song

2. In the scene where the group was starting to congregate, when Davos first walked in and someone asked him what he was doing, I really expected him to say “walking to go take a shit” as a throwback to pre-BotB

airik625 and CarpetElf like this.
  3. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

People forget that the books were a huge tonal shift for the fantasy genre overall when they came out. Martin's use of gritty realism, moral ambiguity, and grey characters were pretty revolutionary at the time. He eschewed high magic and the plot device of "a farm boy raised in a quiet village with dormant powers that will help rid the world of a dark evil" for political intrigue and drew from the War of the Roses in many ways, including his inspiration for the Red Wedding.

I don't see it so much as "violence begets violence" for the sake of it. I see it as an important stylistic shift in a genre that had grown stale with cliches, written nearly 30 years ago. I know the show and the book are two different entities and mediums and D&D are the writers now, but I think the history of the books is important to keep in mind. And here we are in 2019 watching it all come to an end!

Kellan, Anthony_, Mick and 1 other person like this.
  4. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I am preparing myself for the fan that puts Jenny's Song over clips of this week's episode.

And for whichever insane person does the same for Endgame.

CarpetElf likes this.
  5. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

One moment we still haven't seen from the trailer: Drogon looking down on someone, in the dark, about to unleash his fire

6. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

jkauf, currytheword and Mick like this.
  7. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Omg

8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah that’s all definitely fair. From what I know about the books (and where the show has hinted in and out) is that they’re about the horror and reality of war and that there aren’t really true “good” guys because it’s all about your perspective on what happens, and no matter what the “wheel” of war and conquest and fighting over power just keeps going and hurting more people over and over again. The whole monarchy at this point is just totally futile and useless in the face of an existential threat that came about because of ancient violence in and of itself.

There’s also a ton about the horrors of violence on children and innocents and how that world is endlessly cruel to them and shapes them, which is what I was talking about in the first place. Watching Arya take such horrific steps in the name of (ultimately useless and unfulfilling) revenge shouldn’t be something that inspires joy and makes you wonder, “Oh wow! What will that wacky kid do next!”

theagentcoma likes this.
  9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

matthaber likes this.
  10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh lol I had no idea what that was and assumed it was a quick vid to watch before work. That runtime was a shock.

Cameron likes this.
  11. Mick

FKA tell that mick Prestigious

I'd say that Arya's revenge was certaintly fulFILLing for at least one person
    [​IMG]

12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

CarpetElf likes this.
  13. delvec19

Trusted

I really loved the subtle foreshadowing in Episode 2. No place in Winterfell is safer than the crypts. All the women and children are in the crypts, because of how safe they are. Nothing will happen to them down there. In the crypts. The safest place in Winterfell.

Kellan, Leftandleaving, Ken and 3 others like this.
  14. tvck

Trusted

spoopy

DontTellMom, coleslawed and Ken like this.
  15. Mick

FKA tell that mick Prestigious

16. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

S U B T L E T Y

The idiot ball had to make an appearance again after the ice squad suicide mission. It’s going to suck so hard for all of those people. Are there any “big” characters who will be there besides Varys, Gilly, Sam, and I guess Missandei? I’m blanking on who else has basically a civilian role.

Honestly the way this is being set up absolutely makes it seem like the battle itself will take very few main characters (if any, given how all the recent ones have gone), but the bloodshed will entirely come from those totally outside the fighting. I do feel like whatever would happen to raise the Starks would need the NK to be involved, not to mention how many people would rage if this massive battle left him out. Otherwise the, “He went to KL in secret,” theory might make a double whammy of non-combatants being at risk.

17. tvck

Trusted

ready for some zombie kids to fuck shit up.

18. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I took all the talk of people being safe down in the crypts as the characters sorta trying to reassure themselves in a shit situation. Realistically they are all fucked and ideally none of them would be in this situation but it's the best spot for them to go in when the battle breaks out and the characters are sorta reassuring / hyping themselves on it .

Like I'm sure Samwell isn't pumped about them being down there but it's a better option than hanging out up above with him when a battle breaks out with two live dragons and an undead ice dragon.

Plus, I really thought the white walkers only zombified / turned people that they killed and not all dead corpses ever. But I suppose if you knew that they could bring the dead back to fight in any capacity whatsoever you would be smart to be wary of hiding in crypts.

19. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

DontTellMom, coleslawed and Mick like this.
  20. tvck

Trusted

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's only people they kill, as that's the only time we've ever seen them raise the dead. I'm thinking they get in through the secret tunnels someone referenced previously in the thread.

Brother Beck likes this.
  21. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

The thought of white walkers down in an enclosed space with a bunch of non-warriors is terrifying.

Davjs likes this.
  22. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

They better set some home alone traps down there

23. tvck

Trusted

[​IMG]

24. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

So they can't do water, right? Have they shown anything like giant buckets or containers of water to be used in this battle? Or moats?

I imagine steering a huge group of them into a sunken area and then funneling all water into it would be pretty helpful.

25. Why can't they do water. They pulled the dragon out of the water.