Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Game Night (John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein, February 23, 2018) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Jesse Plemmons was a treasure.

His joke about the Frito-Lay company and his fade into the darkness killed me.

2. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

“That can’t possibly be profitable” lolololol

Dodger and stayillogical like this.
  3. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Cast is great, reviews are looking good.

I am way more excited to see this now.

4. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

I've listened to the score to this on Spotify like 10 times since seeing it Sunday. sooooo good.

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  5. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

I really enjoyed this. Mid day showing had about 10 other people there who were all having a blast, definitely added to the experience. The couple next to me both furiously whispered DEXTER when Michael C Hall showed up and honestly that cracked me up. Gary was absolutely hilarious.

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  6. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

There seems to be a rising trend lately of mainstream comedies that feel like an amateur live improv performance. I don't know exactly what it is but most of this movie felt like that with the exception of a few people, specifically Sharon Horgan Michael C. Hall and Jesse Plemons (his character's personality pretty much makes that impossible though).

7. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Seeing it again tonight :)

Dodger likes this.
  8. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Interesting that you say that. This is the first mainstream comedy I’ve seen in five years that didn’t feel 80% improvised.

9. yeahrightdude Mar 1, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 1, 2018)
    yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

I don't really know how to describe it. I don't exactly think the lines sound improvised... I think a cast like this is capable of a very convincing performance but it's almost like they're being told to intentionally dumb it down a certain way for comedic effect. I also got the feeling that parts of the script went through punch up way too many times so a lot of jokes felt off and unnatural.

10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Very little of this felt like it was pulling from the Apatow improv book, which is probably why it felt so refreshing. I think everyone was kind of operating with a low hum of stupidity, but I think that’s something the movie sets up early and you either accept it or don’t.

11. This was hilarious. I lost it pretty much every time Jesse Plemons was on screen.

himynameisiain and Dodger like this.
  12. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

wow im on an island here, i absolutely haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated this. thought they cut the "is it a game" storyline WAY too fast and they could've done sooo much more with the competitive nature of mccadams and bateman. I was for the first time in a long time considering walking out. I enjoyed the first 10 minutes....the glass tables joke and tostios jokes were good... everything else was so bland and bleh. It became some sort of half-ass heisty type movie right away and i thought none of the side characters really added anything. I was hoping they'd all be hella competitive people. I mean we have a couple having trouble conveciing a baby, one of the most cliche rom-com tropes of all times, as some sort of...some sort of whatever it is....why?

3/10.

thought this was as bad as Fist Fight.

13. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Nah, this was tons of fun! I'm just gonna roll with it and say Lamorne Morris was playing alternate reality Winston Bishop, him and Jesse Plemons being the highlights of the movie.

Dodger and Night Channels like this.
  14. domotime2

the Morris/wife characters whole reason for being in the movie is to argue which celebrity she cheated on with.... its like an episode of a sitcom. And yes, the Plemons scenes were great, im glad he was in the movie a lot after the first 10 minutes.

15. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

You say this like Sitcoms are inherently bad

Edit: now that you've put it like that actually, this movie is very sitcom-y. The bickering married couple, the wacky creepy neighbor, the single friend who brings in a string of dates, the celebrity guest star at the end.

domotime2 likes this.
  16. domotime2

when i say 'sitcom' i mean, a phoned in, common CBS type sitcom. It's a brand of comedy i've never really enjoyed. but im not gonna shit on peoples good times so haha

jjnunn118 likes this.
  17. youll be fine Mar 5, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 5, 2018)
    youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

This movie was a delight. So happy I ended up catching it in theaters

Dodger likes this.
  18. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Comparing this to “Fist Fight” is blasphemous.

Joel Gustafson and kbeef2 like this.
  19. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

God I really loved this. Weird to say but it’s the most fun I’ve had a theater this year.

Some of it didn’t work. Thought the lovable but dumb character trope could’ve been executed or cast better. I’ll agree they cut the premise a little short, but still had a lot of fun.

Bateman and Adams killed it and even though I really didn’t buy them together it didn’t bother me because they both are such good actors. and McAdams cemented herself as my number one celeb crush.

Gary stole this movie though. I never thought somebody so dull and lifeless could bring so much life to a movie.

Overall I was laughing all throughout. I can’t even think of my favorite scene. The scene where they try to take out the bullet sticks out. That was great.

20. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Is Jesse Plemons bad in anything?

stayillogical and DrAlanGrant like this.
  21. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

He is even the best part in Friday Night Lights season two. The one most anyone involved with FNL says was terrible due to the writers strike.

22. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

He's a murderer damnit!!!!

23. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Also McAdams character is written super cute but way too supportive in this movie

24. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

his slow backing out of the door frame really got me

25. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Yeah I'm going to agree with the majority in here and say I had a blast. Not everything worked but I was laughing consistently throughout. It's not going to end up as an all time favorite comedy or anything but I really enjoyed it overall.