Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

G.L.O.S.S Break Up • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 26, 2016.

1. entity13

Yep turned down a big opportunity just to break up.....their punk ideals also apparently made them stupid at the same time.

2. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Haha I grew up in basically in that area as well... Sammamish specifically. I also understand what you're talking about.

GEM37 likes this.
  3. GEM37

She haunts the roads

I remember one time a younger coworker of mine mentioned that he grew up in Yelm and how him and his high school buddies would drive to Oly for their 'Big Night On The Town' and I kinda was just like :-|

BigMouth and beachdude42 like this.
  4. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

If I was going to break-up in a couple weeks I probably wouldn't sign a record deal either.

coleslawed, BigMouth and GEM37 like this.
  5. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Also, I'm just gonna say real quick: it's super surreal to move from that part of the country to Los Angeles and see bars down here selling cans of Rainier and Olympia for like $8.

Like it's Gourmet Shit! :beer:

beachdude42 likes this.
  6. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

First of all, the post about Epitaph was posted to Sadie's PRIVATE instagram. Someone made the choice to screencap it and send it to news outlets, which was a blatant violation of being allowed to follow someone's private social media. It was not something made for public cred and it blew up in the bands' face because someone ELSE made it out to be a ploy for attention.

Second- to be trans, queer, and be a public figure is to invite immense scrutiny and increase the chances that one will meet a violent end. The average life expectancy for trans women is something ludicrous like 29, if I remember correctly. So please keep in mind that touring to parts of the country where trans women are murdered violently must take an immense toll. So many of you are privileged to have never had to consider your safety while traveling.

Third- the desire to see these people fail is such thinly veiled transphobia that any of you saying "well they sucked lol" or "lol what idiots" should be ashamed. They are sticking to their morals in a way that I have not seen anyone in punk or hardcore do in recent memory. We could only hope to see that kind of moral integrity in a scene full of abusers and violent men. And yet here are so many people scoffing at them for doing what we WANT from self-described punks.

Finally, in their short career they have given a voice to marginalized people in this scene and in this society. In the end, GLOSS is made up of human beings who are admittedly imperfect and suffering from mental illness. They don't owe you shit. They stuck to their guns and they made the decision that was best for all of them as people trying to survive in a world that is by all means set against them. If you can't find even a little bit of empathy in you to respect that, then you should seriously be re-evaluating yourself.

7. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Agree with everything else you said, but I disagree with this one point - You post something like that on your private social media, you shouldn't be surprised it gets picked up somewhere. Especially when you have the clout that Sadie has in the punk/hardcore scene and people looking to scrutinize your every word.

8. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Agreed with everything here.

9. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I don't agree at all. Private social media usually means you personally approve everyone who follows you, so generally people you know and trust. If I had a private page like that where I had chosen friends and family to see it, I would be furious if they took that trust as an opportunity to get credit for breaking a story. I don't think being a public figure means you have to expect/accept your privacy being violated.

10. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

As a punk fan, I was never able to get into GLOSS. Just not my thing. So as far as music goes this isn't a big deal to me.

As a queer person, I'm really saddened by this. They were a vital voice for marginalized folks in a scene that does too little for so many of us while grandstanding violent, shitty men. Just knowing we had (and will always have) a band like GLOSS makes so many of us feel visible and included even when it seems like we aren't.

If you're scoffing at their decision or mocking them for 'trying too hard for cred' or whatever, you're missing the fucking point here by a mile. It's their goddamn band and they can do what they want with it, because we all know it's super duper fun living under so much scrutiny and aggression simply for existing.

DeviantRogue likes this.
  11. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Oooor... they didn't want to be part of the same label as the likes of Falling In Reverse, who's lead vocalist is a known abuser and all around misogynist pig? :/

Jake W likes this.