Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Funny/Crazy/Wild Things You've Seen At Shows

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by DarkHotline, Mar 25, 2016.

1. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Let's talk about things you've seen or experienced at shows. I can think of a few:

-The time a girl grinded on me during a Dillinger Escape Plan performance
    -The time a cougar/MILF/other derogatory term for a beautiful middle aged woman flirted with me during a Slayer performance.
    -A dude who literally could not stop jumping around and booging to a Gaslight Anthem performance, even during the slow songs.

2. The one that comes to mind is one of these barricades bent backwards over the stage at a 90-degree angle after a Chariot set.

muttley and Wharf Rat like this.
  3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Greg from Dillinger run across the top of the records at Vintage Vinyl.

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Crazy would be any of the times I saw The Chariot.

Nothing else really comes to mind.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  5. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I can't remember if it was FYS or ADTR (I think it was FYS but it was the first time hearing of either band so it was fuzzy at the time) but they were opening for NFG and some guy in the crowd was being a dick and a security guard was trying to calm him down. They stopped playing and made a comment telling the kid to stop. They started playing and I guess the kid kept doing what he did (I assuming beating people) and one of the guitar players mid song dropped their guitar. Jumped off stage and into the wall that was next to it and pushed off and threw the hammer down on this kid. All one motion. Craziest thing at a show ever.

6. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I've seen some things over the years, but the craziest show I ever went to was my first punk rock show, which would have probably been 2000.

It was the Punk-O-Rama tour. First was US Bombs. Duane Peters, their lead singer, was pretty crazy looking with no shirt and leather pants. He tried throwing the mic stand down and move around, but he tripped over the stand and went flying off the side of the stage. The rest of the band looked at him and just kept playing. He came back up like 2-3 minutes later all bloody, but finished the set.

The next band was Fenix TX, who I was there to see. The entire crowd put their heads down and stood with their middle fingers in the air for their entire set. They are the only band I've ever seen literally get booed off the stage. (Conveniently enough, I just saw them play that same venue for the first time since that show).

Guttermouth ended the show, and their lead singer came out wearing nothing but gym shorts and fondled himself repeatedly throughout the set. Towards the end, someone spilled a beer on the soundboard (in the back where we were standing), and the sound guy pulled him over and the two of them beat the shit out of each other. Another thing that stands out to me was that the bathroom was flooded by a good inch or so of water all night. That venue has since remodeled, but it's still not very nice. It was a total shit hole back then.

7. DarkHotline

Guttermouth is like that kid from high school who tried so hard to be edgy and witty while failing at it but in the form of a band.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  8. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I also saw Bob Dylan once and the guy behind us brought his own harmonica. He played along all night. People would yell at him and he'd stop for like 10 minutes, but then two songs later he was at it again.

9. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

That is seriously one of the funniest things I've heard ever.

10. DarkHotline

I saw a kid wear Socker Boppers and run into the pit during a Whitechapel performance.

AndrewSoup and Guys Named Todd like this.
  11. fame

i thought this was chorus.FM?? Prestigious

seeing a push pit during a neutral milk hotel set was weird

schlotty, h8bit and dharkins like this.
  12. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

This happened to me at SXSW at the Geographer show Eda threw and I was so oblivious to it that by the time I realized what was going on she was with someone else haha

13. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I once saw Less Than Jake and this group of middle age woman all dress up in heels and dress walked in. Drank at the bar and eventually walked to the outside of the pit to watch. It was interesting.

Evolution Kid and JimmyIymmiJ like this.
  14. Fucking Dustin

Weirdest thing I've ever witnessed is probably Val Kilmer chopping off his hair during The Black Lips at Fun Fun Fun Fest.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  15. h8bit

@ghastlyfeline Prestigious

Probably when I saw Foxy Shazam open for someone and at some point during the bridge of a song, the lead singer went on a sexual rant and followed it up by lighting a handful of cigarettes and eating them.

Edit: I should mention that the cigarettes and lighter were crowd sourced

16. Fucking Dustin

Witnessed that a couple of times too, felt so bizarre.

h8bit likes this.
  17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Saw the Jonbenet open for #12 and Fear Before. They knew the crowd wouldn't be into them so they just fucked with them the whole time. They all sat down on the couch and played a song. The singer wrapped the mic cable around a bunch of people. At one point he came up to me mid song to say "Come hang out with me later, we can talk about vinyl," because I was wearing a Coliseum shirt and seemingly the only one familiar with their lyrics or anything. lol. When they played a song with a breakdown, they stopped right before it and said, "This is the part where you assholes finally get to dance."

During Fear Before's set, about two songs in, the singer tried hanging from something in the ceiling. The owner of the club clocked him in the face and a brawl broke out. It was such a great show.

18. I always heard crazy stories about Jonbenet shows in my hometown, but I think they had pretty much disbanded or at least stopped coming through central Illinois by the time I started going to shows. That sounds like such a fun set.

19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Their biggest problem was attracting crowds from other bands. As a supporting band, it was difficult for them to pick up people. Their sound is pretty unique. I was so happy I even got a chance to see them.

20. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

We saw NFG one year and this huge guy jumped up on stage and I remember thinking, oh god if he jumps on us we're dead. He did jump on us and we did a pretty decent job of not being murdered but somehow the straps on my camisole shirt I was wearing broke. I was trying to hold my shirt up and still have fun but a guy noticed and gave me the shirt off his back. His name is Jacob and we're still really good friends today.

AndrewSoup, h8bit and ChaseTx like this.
  21. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Have to mention Anthony Green peeing into a bottle on stage.

Also I think it's more unusual for someone to NOT dress up in a banana suit at shows in NJ. I don't know why that's a thing but it definitely is.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  22. Anthony stuck his fingers in my mouth (and the mouths of everyone else in the front row) at a Circa Survive show a couple years ago. That was pretty weird.

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  23. DarkHotline

Unfortunately for me, I got started down by her scary giant husband/bf the whole time this happened. However, he realized that I wasn't do anything and it was her trying to drunkenly flirt with me so I thankfully didn't run into any trouble.

24. DarkHotline

That is the best thing I've seen in this thread yet.

25. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Not wild or anything, but when I saw Matt Good in December there was a dude in front of me taking pictures with what looked like a Nokia from 2004. I laughed.

thesoftskeleton and AelNire like this.