Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Funeral For A Friend Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Paul Beaumont, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

basically, if I was summing up my feelings on that album as a whole: it's defs messy, inconsistent and a little rushed, but in some ways those are things I love about it. even their albums I spent actual years defending online (Tales mainly) can feel a little too tied to an overriding aesthetic, or something like Welcome Home Armageddon which is preoccupied getting a message across at the expense of real emotion. I love Memory because it's all of FFAF on one record; if someone who hadn't heard the band was asking me for recs, I'd send quite a few Memory songs their way because it just has so much of this band's personality and refusal to stay still embedded in it

for sure, they stretched it a bit to make it a full album from EP which always guarantees some inconsistency. but I kinda love that they just locked into a groove and kept writing songs and pumped out an album on their time, on their own label, just because they wanted to and not to please the fans who only care about Casually Dressed. I get the same feeling from those Your History is Mine songs, which is why I love them: they just feel effortless and easy, like the band just got together and knocked them out for run

aight rant over I swear I swear

Crisp X likes this.
  2. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

WHA was like them seeing all the bad post-hardcore bands around at the time like The Blackout, and thinking "let's show them how to do this."

I actually think it's their third best record. I also like the final record but Matt's vocals were totally shot.

Casually Dressed - 9.5
    Hours - 9
    Tales - 7
    M & H - 7.5
    WHA - 8.5
    Conduit - 7
    Chapter & Verse - 7.5

Nick and Rowan5215 like this.
  3. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Now they are back, as a six piece, does anyone think we could be on for a new record, and does anyone else think if so they might put out something brilliant?

bd007h and Rowan5215 like this.
  4. Rowan5215

I like everything they released and would absolutely love new music, but "Jade Tree Years" was a pretty incredible discog sign-off

5. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I think my fav 2 FFAF albums are Casually Dressed and Conduit. Obviously Hours is great too. Other than those it’s just tracks here and there off the other albums that I tend to play nowadays.

I really like this cover they did too (this might just be because my love for boysetsfire is immense though).

6. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

No Honour Among Thieves, Built To Last and Wrench are all top tier songs from them and I completely agree, Gavin and Matt trading vocals along with Ryan’s screams were amazing.

Shame we didn’t get more of this.

Nick and Crisp X like this.
  7. Funny reading this in hindsight considering I was supposed to see both bands in 2011 but they cancelled the show at the last minute :'(

8. I think it's more likely they will pull off a Thursday by touring once a while and continuing that for years when everyone's schedules allow it. Not totally opposed to new music though. I would be more excited if Darran and Ryan were also part of it.

Wait, I didn't answer the second question. Honestly, my expectations wouldn't be high considering their latest output but who knows.

JamesMichael likes this.
  9. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I always found it funny how much older Darran looked than everyone else.

this talk is making me want to break out the old Spilling Blood in 8mm DVD. It’s funny hearing Matt shit on himself over The Getaway Plan. I used to love listening to the sound check of them playing 10 Scene Points.

Crisp X and JamesMichael like this.
  10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Darran and Ryan are both back in the band aren't they?

11. Yeah but I'm not sure if it's for anything more than future shows.

12. ItsJoe

Joe

I love band. I remember buying Casually Dressed back in 2004 and loving it. From then on I bought Hours when it came out, and loving it, especially the way Darren would harmonised his leads with Matt's lead vocals. After Hours when Tales came out I did loose interest as it the record just never felt right to me as cohesive piece of work, and actually Kris who was on a podcast recently actually referred to Tales as a "Poor man's Snow Patrol'. Ultimately I feel like they were a band that like The Startling Line, Yellowcard, etc who hit their peak early on, and lost that momentum at least in the mainstream public consciousness, due to the fact they wanted to experiment and push their sound in other directions. I love them and always will, but their later years lets just say were never my favourite.

13. Rowan5215

I'll always take Tales over Hours, sorry not sorry :O

Punisher316 likes this.
  14. JM95

Trusted

History is easily their most overrated song.

15. jackyjackyjack

Regular

They just posted on their Facebook about an announcement 10am on Monday with a picture of Casually Dressed / Hours / Tales. Vinyl release?

JamesMichael and Crisp X like this.
  16. JamesMichael

I’d get the first two for sure.

Tales does get a ton of hate for its shift in style. Personally it feels like it should have come after Memory which feels like a blend of Tales and Hours.

17. Cmoney86

Trusted

3A33D0BE-E237-4C28-836C-B3907A2B4B48.png The post from Facebook

18. JamesMichael

I still love the artwork they based Casually Dressed around. From the artwork to the music videos, it was all perfect.

But damn I still dislike the hours artwork probably more so now than ever.

19. Nick Jul 3, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 3, 2020)
    Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I always found it weird that You Want Romance? got a video in that style. Juneau acoustic was the other? Weird that only one was an actual single from the album.

Speaking of, I love You Want Romance? but can't find it anywhere in good quality.

Oh fuck it's on Your History is Mine, I completely forgot about the second disc because it's not on Spotify. It's also really annoying how Four/Seven Ways to Scream Your Name aren't on Spotify either.

20. Rowan5215

yeah it goes "Bullet Theory" -> "You Want Romance" -> "Juneau acoustic" as a trilogy of videos. weird but pretty cool, at least when I was younger and didn't know music videos could be connected lol

Nick likes this.
  21. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Yeah I only found out when I go the 8mm DVD. My mind was blown. Had only ever seen Bullet Theory on Kerrang.

I remember seeing the video for This Years Most Open Heartbreak when I was younger and HATING it. I love that song now

Rowan5215 likes this.
  22. Rowan5215

that's one of my favourite songs by this band honestly! somewhere between nostalgia and genuine love though. I wish it was on Casually Dressed instead of "Storytelling" lol

23. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

ooooh no I love storytelling. drop red is the new black if anything

24. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

Pretty sure it’s a vinyl pressing as they’ve mentioned a few times they had an Hours press in the works for the anniversary

will totally pick Hours up as I’ve got an old white pressing of Casually Dressed

hated Tales but maybe it’s time to revisit.

25. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Man, I would love new music but not gonna get my hope up just yet. Just glad they are reuniting!