Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Funeral For A Friend Band • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Paul Beaumont, Apr 8, 2016.

1. JM95

Trusted

I really like The Diary

Crisp X and JamesMichael like this.
  2. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

The Diary is a banger.

I'm also a fan of One For The Road.

Crisp X likes this.
  3. onionbubs

Regular

i only got into these guys a lil over a month ago but i adore them now. had a whole week where they were all i felt like listening to and i rinsed tf out of their discog

i myself have a lot of love for memory. definitely too long but its hooks are for the most part ridiculously sharp and matt sells them tremendously. first three songs, beneath the burning tree and waterfront are some of my fav bangers of theirs and get stuck in my head all the time, and the softer side shown on building and charlie dont surf is phenomenal. still prob only like my 4th fav ffaf behind the bookends and conduit but a banger nonetheless

jackyjackyjack likes this.
  4. I like mostly everything from Tales Don't Tell Themselves, with Walk Away being the obvious weak link. I'm not surprised at it being hit or miss live due to its style, I mean most of it must sound really dull when played next to high energy fan favorites from Casually, Hours, or later albums.

JamesMichael likes this.
  5. Bane

The spiciest meme

Got the random urge to play through Conduit and it's probably at least top 3 in their discog for me, really dig the style

aspeedomodel and Crisp X like this.
  6. Cmoney86

Trusted

2F637C58-35D5-4BDC-8FF9-4ACC7E4BAA13.jpeg

r0m4n44, morken and JamesMichael like this.
  7. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

back on my biyearly kick of this band and still extremely on my "C&V is one of their best" shit. what a record and song to go out on

frankly the whole discog rips though

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  8. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

One of the most underrated bands. Idk why they haven’t been bigger, especially around here.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  9. Rowan5215

it's a shame they got categorised as a one-hit wonder with Casually Dressed in the scene. tbh I don't think there's that big a gap between it and everything else they put out

Immortal1001 likes this.
  10. jackyjackyjack

Regular

Yeah it's a shame when they do tours / shows now it will just be focused on Casually Dressed and Hours, and not the amazing albums that followed, Conduit and C&V in particular

Rowan5215 likes this.
  11. Following Thursday's footsteps

Rowan5215 likes this.
  12. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

20th anniversary of Casually Dressed in October incidentally.

Crisp X, JamesMichael and Rowan5215 like this.
  13. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Wow 20 years, still adore the album and the EPs from this era. Hours was cool but the first releases hit harder for me.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  14. Rowan5215

the EPs were something else for sure. Most Open Heartbreak is one of my favourite songs ever in the genre

Crisp X and JamesMichael like this.
  15. Just noticed this recent proshot set was available

16. JM95

Trusted

His voice is shot. I don't know if it's recoverable, but that's not just a bit of pitchiness on the high register, which almost every aggressive vocalist goes through eventually, but his whole clean tone has gone.

17. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Oh wow I didn’t know it had gotten that bad. I haven’t loved his singing since Tales, something changed after that album and I just haven’t been into it as much as their first 3. But he sounds absolutely awful in that video.

18. Yeah it sucks that their first proshot set in a long time also means people (and tons of them!) are now going to tell his vocals have deteriorated. It’s nothing new for us, and it makes me sad for him.

Anyone knowledgeable has any idea if it could still be recoverable? I have childhood memories of my brother listening to that one Slipknot live CD from the mid 00s in which Corey sounded really rough, but he’s since come back much stronger.

19. I think the first noticeable change in his tone was between Hours and Tales (probably just aging) but then as they’ve gotten heavier again, he started sounding more and more strained or yell-y? Even in his screams, especially once he took over Ryan for Conduit onwards, it felt like he wasn’t doing them properly, maybe? Like he was just shouting instead of more traditional screams or what he was doing on the early releases? Idk

20. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Yeah no to Tales is a noticeable change, but imo it was for the better. I don’t love Tales but he sounds great on that record. M&H on he just sounds markedly different, definitely more strained as you say.

I wonder if he never really learned how to scream properly and just fucked his voice.

Crisp X likes this.
  21. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I also feel he’s really struggled to write vocal melodies that suit his voice after Tales. The first half of Waterfront Dance Club for example is an absolute mess, the the second half nails it.

Crisp X likes this.
  22. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

You know to this day I still can’t believe they left You Want Romance? off Casually Dressed. What a fucking song. I remember first hearing it on the Spilling Blood in 8mm DVD and being blown away. Top 3 FFAF song.

Oh man thinking about that DVD. Frantically searching for 10 Scene Points on limewire after seeing them soundcheck with it during the DVD. It took me so long to actually get an mp3 of that song

Crisp X and JM95 like this.
  23. Yep some of my favorites include those Casually or pre Casually era songs that weren’t all re-recorded afterwards. Those two + The Art of American Football and Getaway Plan still go off.

Nick likes this.
  24. JM95

Trusted

10:45 Amsterdam Conversations is a top three FFAF song.

Nick and Crisp X like this.
  25. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I love The Getaway Plan. It broke my heart when they shit on it during the DVD lol

Crisp X likes this.