Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Funeral for a Friend Returning for Two Benefit Shows

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Funeral for a Friend are going to reunite to play two benefit shows for a terminally-ill fan. The full statement from the band can be found below, more information can be found here, and a fundraising page has been set up here.

When we left the stage on May 21st 2016 at London’s Kentish Town Forum, we all agreed that it was the perfect way to end Funeral For A Friend. We’d toured the UK one last time, playing some of the biggest shows we’d performed in years, in front of our friends and families. It was the perfect ending. Since then, we’ve been asked many times – ‘do you think you’ll ever come back?’ and the answer has always been a resounding ‘no’, because there was never any reason to.

Until now.

Recently, a man who can quite legitimately lay claim to being the world’s biggest FFAF fan (both literally and figuratively!), our friend Stuart ‘Big Stu’ Brothers, has been stricken with a terrible illness which has ultimately led to a terminal prognosis. Last month, Stu was given a few short weeks to live by his Doctors.

As Stu’s friends, we wanted to do something to help; particularly for his family and 3 young sons, who are going through unspeakable trauma right now. We discussed the possibility of auctioning off some FFAF memorabilia (which we’ll still do), but it became apparent that the way in which we could best help Stu was to perform some fundraising shows, with the proceeds going directly to his family.

So, on October 28th and 29th, at the Cardiff Globe and London Shepherd’s Bush Empire respectively, Funeral for a Friend will be performing two more shows to benefit the Brothers family.

Being that Stu was an old-school fan right from the very start, we will mainly be performing material from the early part of our career circa 2002-2007. Joining Matt, Kris, Gav and Rich for the shows will be guitarist Darran Smith (who left the band in 2010) and drummer/vocalist Ryan Richards, who left in 2012.

Tickets will be available from Wednesday for O2 Priority Customers, and on general sale from Friday at 10am GMT. All information can be found at:

www.funeralforafriend.co.uk

Additionally, a fundraising page has been set up for Stu’s family here:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ForBigStu

If you can, please give generously to a great man and a great cause.

Thank you, and we’ll see you in October.

Matt, Kris, Gav, Rich, Darran and Ryan.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  2. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

FFAF forever

3. ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

Man. I love this band. I REALLY want to go to this but I am broke.

It is awesome that they would do this though.

If I remember correctly Stu was really active on the ffaf forums and was really nice. I think this is great.

4. DeRRek

Trusted

One of my favourite bands of all time. Casually dressed and deep in conversation was absolutely incredible when it was released and still is today. Regularly have it on rotation even now. Was at the 2 Glasgow dates when they played hours in full first night and casually the next. Unreal. Will always love this band!

5. jackyjackyjack

Regular

This will definitely sell out quickly. They could easily fill a bigger venue.

DeRRek likes this.
  6. myawrld

Regular

What a great thing to do for a fan. I never listened to them much but have been listening pretty frequently over the last 3 months since Juneau came on shuffle at the gym. If they decide to repress Casually Dressed I would feel EXTRA charitable.

DeRRek likes this.
  7. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

So happy to see them doing something like that!

DeRRek likes this.
  8. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I don't know this band but this is an incredible gesture that made me tear up. Gonna spin them today.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  9. JM95

Trusted

I can't go but this is an amazingly kind and thoughtful act.

10. DeRRek

Trusted

I recommend you do. I’d listen to casually dressed and hours first.

11. DeRRek

Trusted

I managed to get the 2nd press on white when it was released. Gatefold too which is cool. Love the artwork on that album.

12. myawrld

Regular

Jealous!

DeRRek likes this.
  13. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Sold out immediately -> moved to a bigger venue -> sold out instantly as well ;d

DeRRek likes this.
  14. DeRRek

Trusted

Not surprising at all!

Bartek T. likes this.