Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fugazi Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by George, Mar 17, 2016.

1. George

Trusted Prestigious

Fugazi is an American post-hardcore band that formed in Washington, D.C. in 1987. The band consists of guitarists and vocalists Ian MacKaye and Guy Picciotto, bassist Joe Lally and drummer Brendan Canty.

Fugazi are noted for their DIY ethical stance, manner of business practice, and contempt towards the music industry.[

Fugazi have performed numerous worldwide tours, produced six studio albums, a film and a comprehensive live series, gaining the band critical acclaim and success around the world. Fugazi has been on indefinite hiatus since 2003.

[​IMG]

Essential Listening; 13 Songs, The Argument

2. George

Trusted Prestigious

All their albums are essential listening, really. If you're even a casual fan of punk / post-hardcore / indie-rock and you haven't checked them out, you need to fix that! Massively influential on pretty much everything that came after them.

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  3. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

listening to the Argument right now, probably my favorite Fugazi record tbh. longlive Fugazi.

4. rebecca

Regular

Who likes Fugazi better than Minor Threat? Almost every Minor Threat fan I know gets upset when I say I think Fugazi is better.

5. Kennedy

Fugazi is way better. I mean, obviously Minor Threat is one of the most influential punk bands ever, but if im going to listen to Fugazi or Minor Threat, 8/10 im listening to Fugazi

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  6. Horrorca

Trusted

this, I adore Life & Limb

without a doubt Fugazi possessed one of the tightest rhythm sections of any band ever

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  7. I absolutely do

8. phaynes1

Regular

Uhh I def do

9. George

Trusted Prestigious

Not even a contest. Minor Threat are very good for what they are, but Fugazi are without doubt a superior band.

10. JettaPA

Guy Picciotto wasn't even in Minor Threat so its tough to argue they're better...

11. phaynes1

Regular

Neither was Joe lally tbh

12. holdfasthope

Newbie Prestigious

listening to turnover (not that turnover) right now actually. came here wondering if anyone had made a fugazi thread. pleasantly surprised.

quasi-related: i love brian baker.

13. George

Trusted Prestigious

Full discography is now available on Bandcamp to stream/download in case anybody has some gaps in their collection!

First Demo, by Fugazi

KennedyBN likes this.
  14. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Feel like I struck gold finding this video. 2 hour performance from 1999 in Seattle, just uploaded a couple months ago, only 150 or so views.

Quality is fantastic even though it's clearly recorded on a camcorder. Love the two live drummers, makes these songs sound huge. Also never knew Guy Picciotto played Rickenbackers, I'm in love with his guitar tones throughout this video.

Lot of Steady Diet of Nothing, Repeater and End Hits on this one

/WE OWE YOU NOTHIIIIIIING
    YOU HAVE NO CONTROOOOOL

bradsonemanband likes this.
  15. Randall Mentzos

Yeah Guy is vital to the innovative sides of Fugazi's sound, I feel like the more grooving songs are usually Ian's while Guy tends to stretch their boundaries and be more inventive. And his energy on stage added a whole new element.

16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'm supposed to be reading Gilgamesh for English in two hours and instead I'm watching this :verysad::verysad: I forgot how much Joe sounds like J Mascis
    Also I think the bold part is kind of selling the rest of the band short. I think without any of the members, Fugazi would be a lot lesser of a band. I don't think you're overstating Guy's importance, just wouldn't necessarily say anyone is more vital than anyone else.

17. Randall Mentzos

Oh not at all I'm more so saying Guy added something huge to Fugazi that wasn't part of Minor Threat.

And in turn Fugazi took Guy's music to a whole new level, made it more relatable to an audience of common people and also gave more focus and direction to his erratic playing and singing by backing it with that super-tight rhythm section somebody else brought up. and they're way better than Rites of Spring too.

They really do/did have such amazing chemistry as a band. You can hear in their music how well each other's ideas work off of each other and inspire each other.

18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Oh yeah okay, I misunderstood, my bad. Completely agree, Fugazi is better than their previous bands because they just elevate themselves to bigger, better heights. They let themselves get weird, but they know when to rein it in, and through out they have what has to be a top five rhythm section to keep it grounded. The groove is inevitable with them.

19. Horrorca

Trusted

No need to compare MT and Fugazi, both bands are sick

also Rites of Spring!!

20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Oh, for sure, but Minor Threat, Rites of Spring, Embrace...all of those bands barely scratched the surface of what they could do, I think. With Fugazi, you get the benefit of watching tight songwriters grow and get better and play off of each other together over a pretty long period of time. You get to see them all really dig in, and where all those bands captured lightning in a bottle, Fugazi did it again and again. It's not really a comparison as much as it is a journey. Fugazi was what all those bands lead to and I am glad they exist for that alone, not to mention that, as you said, they're sick in their own right

21. Horrorca

Trusted

while Fugazi is my fav of them, you can't argue againt MT's legacy, which many consider the beginning and also pinnacle (even over Fugazi) of hxc music

but

I agree with this, of course

22. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Man, the thing about hardcore is that all the genre titans are these bands and people that were not at all interested in staying within the limitations of hardcore (Black Flag, Minor Threat to name a couple) but the genre is still so stagnant outside of a few bands every so often that really stretch the limits of what it means, at least that's how it seems to me. I will defend Minor Threat as a band with an incredible legacy that I think is fantastic, esp considering how little their output was, but I don't know I'd ever call them the pinnacle of hardcore. The expanding past hardcore's constraints came after for those guys, or for Ian Mackaye in particular. There are a lot of other bands that pushed the boundaries in more interesting ways imo -- I'll stan for Bikini Kill all day on that one.

23. Kennedy

"The Kill" is the best Fugazi song. im reminded of that everytime i listen to The Argument.

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  24. George

Trusted Prestigious

Nightshop for me, I think. The Kill would probably be top 5 though.

25. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I don't think I have a top whatever for Fugazi but then I remembered Do You Like Me? Is an all timer for me. GOAT