Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

From Indian Lakes - Everything Feels Better Now (October 14, 2016) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Aug 8, 2016.

1. shea

RIP Supporter

Back on the bandwagon with this new one. Guess I need to go back to Absent Sounds and try again.

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i feel like they've been on a bunch of big support tours. the maine/anberlin, relient k, circa, tokyo police club. feel like there were a bunch of tours i kept missing them at because i didn't want to spend the money to do so for an opener

3. LionInMyPocket

I was born in a swamp, born with no clothes on

Can't wait to listen to both these tracks on my way home today! Didn't know they had a new album coming out. AB and AS are both great!

4. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

New "audio video" for "Blank Tapes –

5. jorbjorb

7 rings

new stuff sounds amazing.

6. Able Bodies felt like such a necessary record... everything since has felt less and less urgent. I honestly don't even care that he's putting out a new record. The songs just kinda slide by without leaving much of an impression. Maybe I'm listening the wrong way. It's certainly pretty music, but it just feels like this has been done better elsewhere. Also, the drum production is very annoying and the vocals have way too much reverb on them. Not enough focus in these songs, from a songwriting or production standpoint, which he had on the first two records. Oh well :(

7. ramres

Next Show: Panchiko -- 5/3

You're right with your "urgency" comment if you use it as an adjective for heavier music. I think the band (specifically Joey's tastes) has just simply shifted from their older, heavier stuff filled with "urgency" to softer ~chill~ music. In the end, it all really just boils down to taste. I love the older stuff, it's what got me into them but I love their newer stuff even more. I just find this more interesting musically while the older stuff are just simple (great!) jams.

8. cwhit

New stuff is amazing

ramres likes this.
  9. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I have no idea what this record is going to sound like. Both singles don't remind me of anything this band has done before

10. cwhit

i think i like this second song more than the first

11. No, I'm using urgency to refer to this feeling I get when you hear someone singing and you're hanging onto every word, when you're listening to the drums and you're anticipating every new off-kilter fill or beat, or when you're paying attention to the guitar and bass and struck every time they riff or groove. I'm saying his new music is not very engaging, it all slides by without leaving any impression. For an example of a softer record that has incredible "urgency" (I get this is sort of a made up term but I really have no better way to describe it), look at Ixora by Copeland. That record enraptures you without ever venturing into heavy territory. So does Reverie Lagoon by Seahaven.

One big problem is the production/mix/master on Absent Sounds and these new songs, it muddies everything into a blend of reverb and compression. That's not to say it isn't gorgeous, it just doesn't allow any element to stand out or dynamics to exist very much. Also, I'd like to state that as a musician I found his compositions on Able Bodies to be much more interesting than anything on the newer stuff. Not to say that there haven't been cool or interesting parts, but as a whole body of work nothing has satisfied since Able Bodies. The Man With Wooden Legs, my other favourite record of his, is clearly lacking in some of the songwriting department but does still have that sense of "urgency" from the production value.

That's my two cents! I thought a lot about this before deciding that I really was unhappy with the direction he's taking the project.

ramres likes this.
  12. travisred Oct 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 2, 2016)
    travisred

Trusted Supporter

I love AB and AS pretty much the same, and while I agree AS is less "urgent" I don't think that ditractss from it. It picks and chooses a little more when to let loose, I think definitely more dynamic. Also, I'd have to disagree on the interesting comment as well. Alot of the progressions and time signatures are definitely not "simple". What I like about AS is how it's not trying to be as in your face as much as his first two records. It sits back and finds the groove a little bit more. Though I do love the edge and hopes he keeps some sharpness/urgency, I think Joey is finding a good balance of dynamics and groove with some good atmosphere. But, I totally get you and can see where you're coming from.

13. Oh, the progressions and time signatures are definitely not simple on Absent Sounds, but just because they aren't simple doesn't mean they are interesting - to me. I knew that my view wasn't going to be popular when I posted it so thanks for respecting my views :) I'm glad he's still finding fans!

14. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

they're definitely not as big as you think they are.
    saw them at Amsterdam last year, which isn't much bigger than the Entry, and it was not full at all in there.
    I could still see it selling out day of, though.

15. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm surprised they were big enough to tour over seas

16. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Ha, oh no, I know that. I meant out of enthusiasm and loving that venue that I was just gonna get in line

coleslawed likes this.
  17. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

ha, I love it, too.
    it's always bittersweet when bands outgrow it. saw Noah Gundersen there twice, and by the next year he was selling out the Fine Line.

18. cwhit

let me know what the set is like bud, hoping they don't totally abandon able bodies at this point. hoping for like a 5/5/5 split or so

19. ramres

Next Show: Panchiko -- 5/3

Saw the setlist in one of their Instagram stories. SPOILER: more like a 6/7/1/1 split with a song from each of their 2 EPs, here's a pic.

20. cwhit

damn wow. so i guess i'm really never going to see a significant amount of able bodies songs ever again. glad i saw them all on that album tour, hah.

ramres likes this.
  21. Cody

One of the bands dropped off I think. Only two on the bill here

22. Cody

Nvm, chest flu they're only missing my date. Dumb

23. Cody

Oh my god this opening band is so cheesy. Oh my god.

24. Cody

These guys are making me realizing how charming Walk the Moon is. These guys are playing for an hour

sophos34 likes this.
  25. cwhit

woof
    Yeah I was hoping on missing the openers