Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

From Indian Lakes - Everything Feels Better Now (October 14, 2016) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Aug 8, 2016.

1. wood&wire

just one of those ghosts

I love the sound-arc this band has had. I was so, so into The Man with Wooden Legs when it came out, and every release since then has been exciting to me as their sound changes ever-so slightly and with natural intentionality (if that's a thing). All that to say, I'm pumped to hear the follow-up to Absent Sounds, and this first song gives me a lot of hope for it. I would probably not be as interested in FIL today if they had stayed with the sound of their first two records.

Lucas27 likes this.
  2. Lucas27

Trusted

I might overestimate how popular From Indian Lakes is, but I'm surprised more people aren't flipping out over this song.

I think one of the (many) reasons I'm loving this song is I really expected the whole album to go in a softer, more electronic direction. I feel like this song actually has more energy than almost anything off Absent Sounds. That album felt so weary, which is part of what gives it it's identity, but also part of why it didn't quite live up to Able Bodies for me. Judging by this first song, I feel confident that From Indian Lakes could have another masterpiece on their hands with this one.

cwhit likes this.
  3. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Everybody acting like an album of "Bad Parts"-level quiet tracks wouldn't be the best thing ever

AngryMan likes this.
  4. AngryMan

Regular

He's a super good dude, but he told me that he didn't care much for Manchester Orchestra so now we got beef.

coleslawed and teebs41 like this.
  5. Cody

Man, the more and more I listen to this track, the more I'm just like fully on board the hype train with this album and sound more than I was before. Though lyrically not his best work (that second verse in particular approaches yikesville), it's clear that Joey is, at this point in time, at his best in this more subdued, atmospheric style. Able Bodies really floored me from jump street, and I was initially pretty bummed when Absent Sounds backpedaled from that more aggressive and dynamic approach. However, AS over time and especially Wanderer (who saw that coming? I feel like EPs never hit super hard anymore) have gotten me even more on board with where the group is sonically now than I ever was with Able Bodies in the first place. "The Monster" is an awesome, interesting and organic evolution from all of that, and because of it, I think we're in for a real treat with this one.

tl;dr I dig these guys

travisred, awakeohsleeper and ramres like this.
  6. Lucas27

Trusted

Agreed with all of this, except I actually really love the lyrics. I don't mind the abstract, but it's nice to hear a FIL song and actually know what he's singing about right off the bat. They're pretty relatable.

7. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Love both records probably equally. The urgency in Able Bodies makes everything feel so dire and important, but not in a cheesy way. Then Absent Sounds has a lot more cohesiveness to it that makes it ebb and flow more, but still manages to have some huge rockin moments Personally, I hope Joey keeps some of the edge. A song like Fog has a really great payoff because of how huge it gets. The balance between atmospheric and big moments could make this a special album. Hoping for a real dynamic record. With that said, I honestly don't think Joey could do much wrong at this point no matter the direction this goes.

ramres likes this.
  8. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Wanderer was quite solid too and this new song is great. I'm onboard. I still haven't heard Able Bodies guess I should get on that soon....

9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

it's significantly different than the last
    also one of my all time favorites now

10. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Able Bodies is? I'll give it a listen. I might as well since I quite like both Absent Sounds and Wanderer. Have you heard the man with wooden legs?

11. cwhit

able bodies is. just an incredibly dynamic record i love a lot
    i've heard some of it, some good tracks but generally not up to the heights of able bodies

12. Cody

Able Bodies is so, so fucking good.

13. Lucas27

Trusted

From Indian Lakes re-tweeted my best friend's cover of "The Monster". Friend bias aside (like that's even possible) I think it's pretty great. :)

In other news, I'm growing impatient for this album. Can it just come out already? At least a new single maybe???

kevvyb likes this.
  14. cwhit

Transient_Hymn, ramres and AngryMan like this.
  15. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

This rollout has seemed really low key.
    Hoping they get on a really good tour circuit. Could use the attention

16. ramres Sep 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 27, 2016)
    ramres

Next Show: Arlo Parks --4/2

New song's up on Spotify and I imagine Apple Music too.

EDIT: I'm in love.

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  17. travisred

Trusted Supporter

New song has a a real good groove.

18. Lucas27

Trusted

Why isn't this album getting, like, 10x the amount of hype it's currently getting on here? Based on these two songs I think it's going to be really special. AOTY contender to say the least.

I especially love the Mew vibes. I know they're one of Joey Vannucchi's favorite bands but I honestly think this might be one of those rare cases where a band is heavily influenced by another band and ends up eclipsing them in quality. I freakin' love Mew. One of my favorite bands of all-time. But at this point, I feel like I can be confident that I'll love a From Indian Lakes song before I even hear it. I can count on one hand the number of bands that have that kind of reliability for me.

19. cwhit

this record is going to be unreal, ready for that big step up from the last

20. AngryMan

Regular

Holy shit, this song is amazing. Count me as maybe the only one who didn't enjoy The Monster all that much, but this one is making up for that and then some.

21. Transient_Hymn

Triple Crown needs to put steam behind this.
    They should have been on that Balance / Foxing tour

coleslawed likes this.
  22. cwhit

Not room for a band FIL size on that tour

23. Transient_Hymn

are you saying they are too big or too small...
    Last 2 times ive seen FIL in SF they have barely filled a sub 500 person room

24. cwhit

too big to fill the role on that tour
    mercury girls is far far smaller than FIL, you can't just replace the two

25. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Yeah they need some good support roles in 2017. Really hope they can get some hype.