Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frightened Rabbit - Painting of a Panic Attack (2016) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SpyKi, Mar 7, 2016.

1. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'd probably take almost any song on TMOF over the best on this. I just don't find the songs as engaging or the lyrics as interesting/moving. The lyrics have always been the main thing that makes this band stand out to me and on this album they're mostly just forgettable and average, again similar to Motion City and Panic Stations last year.

2. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

Pedestrian Verse is easily my favorite album from these guys. I like the rest, but that's the one album of theirs I love. This just lacks the dynamics of that album, I feel. And the lyricism feels more...by-the-numbers? I've listened several times, but I cannot get into it at all. Given the credentials behind it, particularly the influence of Dessner and The National, I feel like I should love it, but...it just doesn't grab me.

3. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Seeing these guys tomorrow night, pretty pumped. I saw them once before but it's been probably 4 or 5 years.

I think this is a solid album, not my favorite of theirs but I still really enjoy it. I think it speaks to the brilliance of Frightened Rabbit that some people are a little disappointed by this. I think there's plenty of bands out there that would kill to release an album like this.

4. Beholdtheriver

Regular

I REALLY like this album. I can't get "Get Out" out of my head (ironic, I know) and I also really like "Otherwise Disappointing Life", "Woke Up Hurting", "Blood Under The Bridge", "Die Like A Rich Boy"... I like the whole thing! Definitely some weaker tracks ("Still Want To Be Here"), but overall really really good. LOVE The National influence.

I picked up with FR around the time of WOMD then went back to listen to some of the tracks on MOF (the first three tracks are my favorites). I think WOMD is my favorite, then PV. I just couldn't get over on WOMD how they started off with the "are you a man or are you a bag of sand" line then went back to it later on in the album. Not sure where this album lands yet

5. SpyKi

"Swim Until You Cant See Land" and "Man/Bag of Sand" are easily my least favourite parts of WOMD, haha.

6. LionInMyPocket

I was born in a swamp, born with no clothes on

If you read any of the interviews or articles from Scott about this album before it came out he had similar feelings that we do about it. He basically said he's not sure if he really loves this album because he wanted to try new things but was sort of afraid to be too experimental and I think that's what led this album to be somewhat safe. I do think when he steps out of the comfort zone ie. (Get Out, Break, & I Wish I was Sober) they did it really well, other songs (Little Drum, Still Want To Be Here) fall flat.

7. Beholdtheriver

Regular

I think my post was misleading - I couldn't get over how good I thought it was!

8. SpyKi

Yeah, I got that from your post, which is why I thought it was funny I had the opposite reaction. Not into it at all.

9. LionInMyPocket

I too got into Frabbit from WOMD but that is now my least favorite of their releases.

10. George

Trusted Prestigious

Even over Sing The Greys???

11. LionInMyPocket

No I mean of their proper releases I guess. WOMD >> STG

12. George

Trusted Prestigious

It's definitely a proper release ha, but yeah easily their least interesting one.

13. SpyKi

WOMD has such a strong back half. "Yes I Would", "Foot Shooter", "Not Miserable", "Living in Colour", all fantastic songs.

Paddy likes this.
  14. I'm in the midst of severe depression at the moment, but this album is helping me through it. I've been a fan of this band for 7 years and never needed them in my life more desperately than I do now. It's a rather bleak record but it's never hopeless, and the likes of An Otherwise Disappointing Life, Death Dream, Woke Up Hurting & Blood Under the Bridge really speak to me as of late.

This interview with Gigwise in the UK from a few weeks back is fantastic: Frightened Rabbit: 'This album is a place for healing' | Gigwise

15. LionInMyPocket

This article really gives insight into Scott's mindset while recording this album. Long read but worth it.
    Old Storms In New Places

16. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Went to their show on Friday, no surprise, they sounded great. They played a pretty nice mix of all their material (well minus Sing The Greys). From the new album they played Get Out, I Wish I Was Sober, Woke Up Hurting, Break, and Lump Street. One of the highlights for me was Scott played acoustically "Fuck This Place" off of the "A Frightened Rabbit" EP.

17. SpyKi

The first four songs on this are so good, I just wish I loved the rest as much. "Little Drum" to "Blood Under the Bridge" is such a bland section to me.

18. SpyKi

Also love "400 Bones".

19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I should probably start spinning this more. I really enjoyed it. Also may be time to revisit the rest of their discography, see if anything else catches on.

20. George

Trusted Prestigious

If you like this, you should definitely enjoy Pedestrian Verse, they're basically the same album.

21. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't remember being super into it, but admittedly I never gave it much of a chance, so that's good to hear.

22. SpyKi

That one just has better songs.

George likes this.
  23. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Break is the closest this album comes to sounding like PV IMO.

24. SpyKi

Nahh. A ton of the melodies and song layouts almost feel based on PV songs.

George likes this.
  25. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Hmmm