Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frightened Rabbit - Painting of a Panic Attack (2016) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SpyKi, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

I think if you're just starting with this band you definitely should begin at The Midnight Organ Fight. It sort of features all the common threads that they have expanded on from the debut and go on to evolve later on.

Re. this record, Little Drum and Blood Under the Bridge are the two that are standing out to me as a whole lot of nothing at the moment. Feel like any of the bonus tracks could have been dropped in their place.

2. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I don't really care for either of those or "Break" or "Still Want to Be Here".

3. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Still Want To Be Here is a bore

4. Lockeskidney

yea should have been scrubbed and replaced with "the wreck"

5. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

so I tweeted this snarky little gem and the band retweeted it and said it was "hilarious and spot on" which was really cool. idk, just thought it'd be funny to share.

6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Finally listened to it (well, at the time of writing I'm on track 10) and I'm pretty whatever about it. I feel like this will be a band for me that I will only ever really connect with the record I discovered them with. I did recently get into The Midnight Organ Fight but for me it seems unlikely they will top Pedestrian Verse. This one isn't bad but I feel like I heard them do most of it better on PV and whatever new they're bringing to the table isn't wowing me.

7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I Wish I Was Sober stands out on first listen, a lot of the album really blends together though

8. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I was in the same boat as both of you up until yesterday. For what it's worth, I gave it about 3 listens, but it did not start doing anything for me until I tried via headphones and started with the (3) bonus tracks. Someone said it in here earlier that they should have swapped the bonus tracks in for the (3) weakest songs on the album and I could not agree more. I am still not fully into this release, but I am liking it more than I did on my first pass.

Everything the band has said to describe this release has been accurate. Much more subtle and held back than previous releases. Especially regarding the chorus work. Think this hurts them ultimately.

9. MrNvmbr

Only listened to it a handful of times but I think I'll still prefer Pedestrian Verse over this. Little Drum and An Otherwise Disappointing Life are the highlights so far. Aaron Dessner and The National's influence can be heard though, which is no bad thing.

10. George

Trusted Prestigious

I don't think this has the scope and the beauty of Pedestrian Verse and definitely feels a bit like a Frightened Rabbit album on autopilot. However, they're such a wonderful band, that even with them on cruise control, they're better than most. I don't think I'm going to think of this album as highly as I do for Midnight Organ Fight or Pedestrian Verse, because unlike those two albums there's stuff on here that I'd consider filler.

Seeing as we're making The National comparisons, it reminds me a bit of Trouble Will Find Me, still very very good, but not as good as what came before, and a wee bit formulaic.

Serenity Now likes this.
  11. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

This is their second best album imo

12. SpyKi

I don't think this comes that close to any of their last three. Pretty disappointed in it honestly.

13. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I think I'm in the same crowd who feels like this album is good but not as great as some of their previous work. I enjoy most of the songs but there's definitely a few on here that just don't do anything for me (I'm looking at you "Still Wan't To Be Here"). I feel like this is missing that same kind of spark (not really sure how to describe "it") as their previous efforts.

14. LionInMyPocket

I was born in a swamp, born with no clothes on

Yea I'm glad I'm not the only one that is a little underwhelmed by this. I've been playing it for about 2 weeks now and it still isn't grabbing me much. It's far from a bad album but probably ties WOMD for third. PV > TMOF > WOMD = POAPA > STG. I want to like this more I really do but... I'd give it a Meh+

Serenity Now and dpatrickguy like this.
  15. SpyKi

MOF > WOMD > PV > POAPA > STG

Is how I'd rank them and I feel like that's an easy ranking for me, none are that close.

16. George

Trusted Prestigious

Pedestrian Verse and Midnight Organ Fight are perfect 10s, flawless albums, with maybe Pedestrian Verse being a 10.1. Winter of Mixed Drinks falls a bit behind, but is still very good. I think Painting of a Panic Attack will probably settle at that level.

Sing The Greys is fine too, I like Music Now and Snake a lot, but not a lot of interesting stuff there.

17. SpyKi

I've gone off PV a bit with time and WOMD just keeps growing on me. The second half of that album is so good.

18. Jose

weightless in the valley

This is my first FR record and I honestly love it a lot. I'll definitely be delving into their discog soon, and it looks like I should go to PV after this based on the thread.

19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't remember liking a Frightened Rabbit record close to this much. Maybe I should revisit their other stuff, though.

20. Collins

Trusted

Also my first Freightened Rabbit record and I liked this one a lot. Can't wait to dive back into their discography.

21. LionInMyPocket

I'm so excited for the people that have only heard this album. You guys are in for a treat because their last 3 records are some of my favorite albums of all time! I'd either work backwards from Pedestrian Verse or start with The Midnight Organ Fight.

Jose likes this.
  22. First time listening to it tonight (finally had time).

I am absolutely shocked by the negative opinions in this thread; it's really good.

MFA, Jose, troyplaysbass and 3 others like this.
  23. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Yeah this feels right on track from what they did with Pedestrian Verse

24. SpyKi

The more time I spend with it the more disappointed I am. It feels kind of like Panic Stations to me where I dont think it's bad but it is a significant step down from what I'm used to from them.

25. LionInMyPocket

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat. Some of the songs really grew on me but it is definitely one of their weakest efforts. It's jarring trying to get through the whole album. Still good though. I have POAPA and TMOF on a playlist right now with some other albums & TMOF tracks are definitely more enjoyable.