Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frightened Rabbit - Painting of a Panic Attack (2016) Album • Page 30

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SpyKi, Mar 7, 2016.

1. I just finished listening to this and that Twilight Sad cover of Floating in the Forth has absolutely done me in. Fucking hell.

2. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

Yup. Glad I was working from home today because that one wrecked me.

Carrow likes this.
  3. JamesSparrow

Their version of "Keep Yourself Warm" is an amazing thing to see live too. Seen em twice now, and it's wrecked me both times.

arewehavingfunyet and Carrow like this.
  4. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

Just the live video from Primavera brought me to tears when I first watched it.

Carrow and JamesSparrow like this.
  5. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

The two tracks by Josh Ritter & Wintersleep on this release are surprising stand outs for me. Really like the take on Old Old Fashioned.

arewehavingfunyet and T.K. like this.
  6. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

Carrow likes this.
  7. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

arewehavingfunyet likes this.
  8. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

And, I'm crying at work. That was beautiful. Thanks for sharing it. This part really got me:

"I can't promise that it won't still, because none of us who know that specific pain can promise that. But I can promise that I'm working on it. I can promise that today looked good because the heat finally sulked off to another corner of the world, and so the fireflies came back out to dance last night, and a good patch of them settled over a sprawling field of yellow flowers as tall as I am. And in a dark field, small slivers of briefly illuminated yellow grinned out from the black. I can promise that tomorrow feels like it might be good too. That, yes, the world is melting and collapsing in irreversible ways. Yes, I cannot keep all of my friends safe and I can't undo the long trajectory of harm inflicted on the universe. But I'd like to stay alive and keep trying to make my own corner of this tragic spinning pebble as clean as I can. Some of this, surely, is for and because of people like Scott Hutchison. I'm sad Scott is gone, and I am going to miss him, maybe forever."

9. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

So I just started listening to these guys for the first time today. At work. Goddamn work is not the best place for this lol.

10. drewinseries

Drew

Carrow likes this.
  11. Importer/Exporter

So, so beautiful. This part, too:

"I don't know if I'll ever stop being sad about Scott. I'll probably never stop being sad about Prince, or about Whitney Houston. I've already written about the roses I'll undoubtedly lay at the feet of Bruce Springsteen or Stevie Wonder. But they all felt, and feel, like deities. I'll never stop being sad about Scott because he wasn't a god. He was too openly flawed to be what people project onto their gods, and he wouldn't have wanted to be one anyway. All of Scott's miracles were quiet, and close to his chest. I hate to talk about survival as though it, alone, is a miracle. But I also hate to pretend I haven't woken up on a morning, thanking something or someone imaginary that I made it through the day before. I'll never stop being sad about Scott because what got the better of him might have once have gotten the better of me."

Hanif is a great twitter follow as well, for anyone interested.

12. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

the rural juror and JBoch like this.
  13. Built to Fail

You and I are panoramic

14. IMG_20190809_203541.jpg There's a wall dedicated to Scott in the Roisín Dubh in Galway, Ireland (best venue in our country). I couldn't find it tonight - I wanted to put one of these memorial stickers there - so it goes up above the Future Islands setlist from their Galway show in 2017 instead.

15. drewinseries

Drew

The Twilight Sad absolutely floored me with they played Keep Yourself Warm in Massachusetts. That single performance always come to my head when I think of FR.

16. karcrashianpanache

hysterical and useless

I had the realization a few days ago that my boyfriend had bought me tickets to see Kevin Devine in Philly a couple years back and I never realized that he was actually opening for Frightened Rabbit on that date.

I never got to see them, and wasted my opportunity to do so because I had a 7 am meeting the next day. :brokenheart:

17. zmtr

Trusted

This is amazing

Serenity Now and johnnyutes like this.
  18. drewinseries

Drew

I was okay until James Graham started breaking when talking about Floating in the Forth, literally the song that dictates how he passed on.

I'm so happy so many people and musicians gave their time and energy to this.

okayibelieveyou and zmtr like this.
  19. Importer/Exporter

First snow of the year in Chicago, made me decide to put on Pedestrian Verse for some reason. I kind of feel like it might be low key their best album? Or at least as good as MOF just in a different way.

20. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

It’s a shame that that album is probably forever going to be tethered to what happened with Scott. A lot of those songs are hard to listen to now but they’re still good/great songs. I think some of the bonus tracks should’ve been put in the track list to swap out some of the weaker ones but it’s still full of quality songwriting and lyrics.

It’s interesting how seamlessly the band transitioned from folkier instrumentation to pure indie rock flourishes. Truly a gem of a band

Importer/Exporter and Joe4th like this.
  21. Barcara

Regular

Easily my favourite!

22. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Far & away my fav record of theirs

23. Carrow Nov 6, 2019
    (Last edited: Nov 6, 2019)
    Chris Hawkins spoke to Grant and Andy about Scott for BBC Radio 4. It will probably be a difficult listen for anyone who connected with this band's music - I know it was for me - but it's beautiful and touching despite examining that tragic loss. Have tissues handy. Art of Now - Playing Well: Frightened Rabbit - BBC Sounds

24. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Thank you for sharing this. This was a real tough listen for me but I am really glad I did it. It was really lovely.

Carrow likes this.
  25. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I haven't listened to a full Frightened Rabbit album since Scott's death... There have been moments on each album each time I have tried where it has just hit me too hard and I've shut it off. I have started listening to FR songs again though, which is nice, but I don't do it often. The other day I actually had the thought "I wonder when Frightened Rabbit are going to put out another album" and it was a split second or so before I remembered in my head.

Barcara and Carrow like this.