Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frightened Rabbit - Painting of a Panic Attack (2016) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SpyKi, Mar 7, 2016.

1. LionInMyPocket Apr 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 8, 2016)
    LionInMyPocket

I was born in a swamp, born with no clothes on

Gonna need more time with it... It wasn't as immediate as PV on first listen but I'm sure I will find much to love about it the more time I spend with it. From all the news I read about this album being a new direction for them but I actually found it kind of safe. I felt like half the songs experiment a little and definitely match the vibe of the albums title and then the other half kind of just sound like 'Mixed Drink' b-sides... Idk some of the songs on PV didn't hit me right away either and that's become one of my favorite albums of all time.

2. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

I am obsessed with "Woke Up Hurting." I'm halfway through the album and nothing else so far is hitting me like that one did.

3. Iago

forbidden chalice.

Wasn't too impressed by this but I have a feeling it will grow on me.

4. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

this is really spectacular

5. Mclusky30

I really like this.

6. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

I wish I Was Sober is a great song, excited to dig into this over the weekend

7. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I've only listened once so these are first impressions, but this felt like a good follow-up to what they did on Pedestrian Verse. It sounds very much like the next album. I think it's definitely consistent with the quality of PV and is another collection of great, sad bastard tunes

8. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Die Like A Rich Boy is a great closer

9. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

10. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

The Wreck kills me every time

11. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

This is unsurprisingly fantastic. PV is a lot to live up to for me but these guys are so damn consistent.

12. Deathco_019

Drummer

I've never listened to these guys but have heard great things about them over the past few years so I'm excited to check this out.

13. MFA

See you in hell, or see you when I see you. Prestigious

great as this album is I still think pedestrian verse is better. maybe given time I'll think otherwise tho

nothing could ever make me fall in love with an album more quickly than the opening of Acts Of Man, singing "I am that dickhead in the kitchen, giving wine to your best girl's glass" in falsetto

pure genius of songwriting

back onto context of the thread tho Woke Up Hurting, I Wish I Was Sober, Little Drum, Lump Street are highlights for me atm

George likes this.
  14. George Apr 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 9, 2016)
    George

Trusted Prestigious

Acts Of Man is one of the greatest songs ever written. Fell in love with it from the moment I heard the opening lines. I just fucking love that the album opens with the dickhead line. Just so perfectly them, distilled into one sentence.

It fights with Modern Leper as their greatest ever song, and most days it wins.

15. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I've never listened to this band before and decided to check this out on a whim and enjoyed it. It didn't blow me away, but I can see it growing on me with time. Get Out is such an earworm.

I'll definitely have to dive into their back catalog once I spend more time with this one.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  16. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Absolutely go backwards if this is your first. I think their last three are amazing. Midnight Organ Fight especially.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  17. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I certainly intend to. I recall hearing Jason praise Pedestrian Verse on the podcast a while back, and I've seen @CoffeeEyes17 praise MOF in the forums before. I'm honestly surprised it took me so long to check out the band.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  18. CoffeeEyes17

Band can do no wrong imo. Severely underrated indie rock

ImAMetaphor likes this.
  19. CoffeeEyes17

This is quickly becoming my 2nd favorite FR record. I'm glad they picked up where they left off with WOMD. Very National feel to the whole thing, which makes sense given who produced it. Love the more electric guitar/piano led sound theyve got going on. Plus Scott sounds great and has delivered another batch of great, sad bastard lyrics. What a band.

20. wisdomfordebris Apr 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 9, 2016)
    wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

There is a stretch of songs where the repetition of each song's chorus kind of stands out to me, but other than that, I really like this album.

And yes, lots of National vibes!

21. SpyKi

I'm always sad when repetitive choruses become a thing.

22. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

An Otherwise Disappointing Life and 400 Bones are growing on me a ton. Liking this more now, but it still doesn't come close to touching PV yet.

23. johnnyutes

Vaya con Dios Supporter

So incredibly happy with this album. Fits perfectly in their discography.

24. SpyKi

Likewise, and I don't like PV as much as WOMD which I don't like as much as MOF.

25. dash64

This is my design

Really liked this on the first listen and the bonus tracks fit nicely.