Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frightened Rabbit - Painting of a Panic Attack (2016) Album • Page 24

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SpyKi, Mar 7, 2016.

1. BackwardsWalker

Regular

It’s the most underrated album ever by the artist that made it; Scott openly dislikes it, but it seems like because he had to rush it. The fact that he rushed it makes it even more impressive. I definitely would never have thought when listening the writing process was truncated. MoF through Pedestrian Verse is an A+ three album run - maybe my favorite from any band.

T.K. likes this.
  2. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

I think it’s my favourite

3. okayibelieveyou

Tam Rogic CSC Prestigious

Lucky enough, I got to go see the mural. It's awesome.

dadbolt, JBoch and T.K. like this.
  4. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

Should we do this? lol

1. Pedestrian Verse
    2. Midnight Organ Fight
    3. Winter of Mixed Drinks
    4. Painting of a Panic Attack (although this is moving up for me recently giving it more time)
    5. Sing the Greys

Also I really love the State Hospital EP but it doesn't count since it's EP but damn this performance:

George and primavera like this.
  5. George

Trusted Prestigious

Exactly same order for me too.

arewehavingfunyet likes this.
  6. vidiviciveni

Trusted

5. Sing the Greys - just not much connected with me off this album at any point
    4. Painting of a Panic Attack - felt too sterile and dour without breaking any new ground, but the high points are still great
    3. The Winter of Mixed Drinks - Not Miserable is my favorite song; I should revisit this album more but it gels together a bit too much for me
    2. Pedestrian Verse - feels like a more solid version of Mixed Drinks; the writing is devastating and clever - might be their peak honestly
    1. The Midnight Organ Fight - just a classic for me. At that time period of my life, which was actually 2011 and not 2008 when this was released, songs like Poke, Head Rolls Off, The Twist, etc., just hit me like a wall. I've never heard wry lyricism and radio-friendly indie rock done so well as on this album

7. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

5. Sing the Greys - some good songs here (Be Less Rude rules), but for the most part never connected to it
    4. Winter of Mixed Drinks - was my first favorite album of theirs, so maybe i just burned out on it, but it’s obviously great, just kind of blends together a bit much to me. ‘Things’ is a top 5 Frabbit track and deserves to be recognized more.
    3. Painting of a Panic Attack - i fucking love the National, and I usually love Aaron Dessner’s production but i think his work here sounds really muddied and obscures the otherwise excellent songwriting. ‘Die Like a Rich Boy’ and ‘Death Dream’ fucking are perfect songs.
    2. The Midnight Organ Fight - i don’t think i could add anything new about this album by discussing it, but obviously it’s just about perfect.
    1. Pedestrian Verse - the thing i like best about this one and TMOF are how loose they feel. Almost every track on here is a complete knockout, and the songs were so killer live.

All of their albums from TMOF onwards are fantastic. I never really loved Owl John, but the Mastersystem album that came out a couple months ago would probably be ranked 3rd or 4th on this list if we expanded it to all Scott’s projects. I’m not sure if I’m retrofitting or what, but those songs are super powerful and the lyrics are really hard to listen to, but it’s also so direct and unsparing that it’s hard not to connect with.

8. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

I thought about including Mastersystem and Owl John but didn't have enough time with Mastersystem really to throw it in there. Also I never really got into Owl John when it released but giving it more time the last few weeks has made it really grow on me. Give it another shot!

9. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

The worst thing about WoMD is the production. Everything sounds so flat.

10. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I'm no audiophile but I must've listened to Not Miserable about 1000x by now and haven't found it sounded flat ever

SpyKi likes this.
  11. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I mostly notice it on Living in Colour

12. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

I really, really like Sing The Greys.

13. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

1. MOF
    2. WOMD
    3. PV
    4. POAPA
    5. STG

14. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Settle a dispute between me and two friends: is The Wrestle about sex, depression, or beating the shit out of a wild animal in a fight?

Carrow likes this.
  15. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

All three probably.

Carrow likes this.
  16. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

Scott has a lot of double meanings in his lyrics. My friends and I had a debate in college about "Swim Until You Can't See Land" as well.

I always thought "Boxing Night" was using boxing metaphors but this lyric has me doing a double take now due to the spelling Forth, not Fourth:

"Well i swear I've lost the last drop of whatever kept me awake, alive
    Well i fell in the forth from a heavy right hook
    To a blushed and swollen face"

17. Firefly

emotional motion sickness

Boxing Day is the day after Christmas - and the Forth is a river in Scotland - so it's always seemed pretty straightforward to me... but then I'm from the UK.

Soz if this is obvious and I just mansplained to you (even tho I'm female).

18. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

I know what Boxing Day is but this is a good example of the multiple/double meaning in his lyrics. The song is called Boxing Night not day, and Boxing Night is typically like "fight night" in America, a boxing match.

Without reading the lyrics I always thought it was just a boxing/fighting metaphor

Well i fell in the forth (round) from a heavy right hook (boxing move)

19. [warning: do not listen to or watch this unless you're emotionally prepared for video of The Twilight Sad covering Keep Yourself Warm at Primavera]

[seriously be careful because I literally cannot bear to watch this]

20. Heartofzinc

Regular

Sam from Twin Atlantic did a cover of My Backwards Walk the other night

21. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

Am I the only one who feels a little guilty for taking this band for granted the last few years? I didn't see them open for Broken Social Scene 45mins from where I live because they were just the opener. Last time I saw them was 2016 for the ...panic attack tour and now I regret not going to MOF 10yr show either.

22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I don't necessarily feel guilty per se, but I certainly regret never seeing them live while that was a possibility .

23. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I missed seeing them last year on my birthday and it breaks my heart thinking about it

24. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

The last time I saw them wasn't on my birthday but it was right around it so I used it as an excuse to invite a bunch of friends who prob. wouldn't come if it hadn't been my bday party lol. It was a great time so maybe I'm glad that was my last time seeing them.

Great setlist on that tour:

Frightened Rabbit Setlist at College Street Music Hall, New Haven

Joe4th likes this.
  25. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

That is an incredible setlist.