Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Friends TV Show • Page 22

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I once saw the actor who played Gunther at a Whole Foods reading a People magazine with Jennifer Anniston on the cover... I smell reunion!!!

2. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Yesterday I was watching the ep where Rachel's jobs are battling to have her and offering her all these amazing things like raises and whatever to go to Paris and talking about how invaluable she is, and Chandler comes thru with something like "my boss says I can put a lamp in my cubicle" and it was too relatable lol.

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

That's both great and highly unfortunate because (at least in the US) the Netflix version of the show is edited and takes out a bunch of stuff.

6. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I had no idea about this - I wonder if the same is true of the UK Netflix version? I don't know it well enough to know if they missed anything out when I watched it through with my wife last year. It didn't seem to be missing anything that I was aware of! Any examples?

7. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

So they do the typical thing where they add and remove music due to licensing issues, but there are parts where they legitimately just cut out jokes.

The main reason is that if you watched it on TV, these are the original broadcasts from NBC, but if you watched the original DVD releases the episodes were extended with a ton of content and quite frankly, some of the best jokes.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2015/02/82143/friends-netflix-missing-lines

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  8. heymattrick

Sending my love

It’s not that the Netflix ones are edited down, it’s the DVD versions are extended (like you said). The Netflix versions are how they were originally seen on TV. I have to remind my friend that all the time when he says “they cut a joke out”. They remastered the original 22 minute versions into HD abut not the extended versions, which is why those ones are on Netflix and aired on TV. It’s a bummer they didn’t do the extended versions because it does feel like there’s stuff missing since I was used to the DVD versions.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  9. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

The DVD versions are so much better. The dialogue feels clunky with lines that don't lead to punchlines.

10. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

I’m on season 8 right now of my first ever watch through with my girlfriend who has already seen the whole series. There was a slight dip in quality earlier but I’m surprised with how solid it still is this late in the show’s run.

11. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Honestly, I think Season 1 is the worst part of the show. I love the later seasons.

12. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I'd argue that the show only gets better and better throughout the rest of the series, for the most part.

Ross is already hysterical but he gets funnier and funnier as well.

13. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Ross was unbearable to me for the first four seasons but once he got sillier i begrudgingly started to like him

14. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, he's perfect at silly physical comedy.

15. heymattrick

Sending my love

Season 8 might be my favorite season. Then again, that’s when I really started watching weekly with my mom when it was originally airing on TV, and the time when the DVDs started getting released, so I have a connection with it. But it has some of my favorite episodes - The One With the Videotape is definitely one of my top 5.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  16. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I have this big DVD box set. I wonder which versions I have :chin:

17. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

If you have the DVD box set (no matter which DVD box set you’ve purchased) then you have the extended versions. If you buy the blu ray box set then you are getting the NBC broadcast versions you also see on Netflix.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  18. The Lucky Moose

That's weird, haha. Thanks!

Nyquist likes this.
  19. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

It is and it’s a shame the HD versions of the extended episodes are still unavailable. The reason all the DVD box sets have the extended episodes is because the DVD box sets just keep repackaging the same individual box sets that were initially released. The most recent one just slimmed down the cases so they’re not so big and bulky.

20. The Lucky Moose Mar 29, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 29, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

I kind of like unremastered TV shows. The 90's blur and black bars really do it for me. I'm watching The Nanny on Amazon Prime right now and I can never identify what she has on her plate at breakfast

21. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Yea chances are they gave the DVD sets extended versions since TV airings are limited due to commercials. Growing up I'd always watch syndicated Simpsons episodes but when I bought them on DVD, there were scenes I had not seen before and that's because they were there in their initial airing but when syndicated, they had less time so scenes had to be cut/trimmed down. It's weird watching an episode you've seen 20 times and all of a sudden a new joke pops up

supernovagirl likes this.
  22. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

It's like a comedic jump scare.

supernovagirl and chewbacca110 like this.
  23. heymattrick

Sending my love

It’s because they only converted the regular, broadcast length versions to HD (the primary purpose was for syndication airings, so it only made sense to do those versions). The extended versions were made before HDTV was really a thing, and it’s highly unlikely they’ll go back and convert the extended editions just for a few minutes of extra footage. The way those extended episodes were edited, they’d have to go back and start from scratch, not use the current HD versions of the broadcasted ones.

24. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

The episode where Ross holds a memorial service for himself and listens on the other side of the door to see who comes and grieves is probably one of the most relatable things on this show lol.

Jason Tate, chewbacca110 and jordalsh like this.
  25. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I played that Heads Up game with some friends over this past weekend and I absolutely DOMINATED at the Friends category. Absolutely far and away the best of our group and I loved every second of it.