Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Turner Plays New Song “The Sand in the Gears”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  2. Slave to the Grind

I liked the song until the piano comes in around 3:10.

3. I don't think I've heard a song by this man that I didn't like. Interesting that he's so involved in US politics when he's not even a citizen, but I think that's really cool!

4. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Cant lie, hearing this after sitting through Trump's inauguration was much needed.

The crowd makes this more special too.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. LiveFast_DieOld

Regular

Watched him open with this in Chicago last night -- lots of people in the crowd knew every word. Very cool opening.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  6. dvdjmskng

The horizon is my home... Supporter

I can see how this song will go down well at the moment, but it feels like a song that was written 'in the moment' rather than something that will end up on his next album.

If nothing else, this shows that we're in for 4 years of cracking angry political/protest music.

7. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Definitely a good assumption! In thinking which bands are capable of pulling off great angry/protest songs, The Wonder Years came first to my head. Would be intriguing!

dvdjmskng likes this.
  8. LiveFast_DieOld

Regular

Yeah it's definitely an "in the moment" type song. He did mention last night that they're going to record a new album towards the end of this year, "although at the moment he's considering recording an entire protest record" - so we shall see.

9. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Hate to be that guy but since I'm from 20 minutes away, it's just Silver Spring, no s

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. dvdjmskng

The horizon is my home... Supporter

I'd be interested in hearing songs from bands who are going to marginalised by Trump's politics. Not an obvious choice, but I think Tegan and Sara could create something fantastic! If the Bush-era is anything to go by, this could be a pretty productive and exciting 4 years for music!

11. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I can't wait for the next Kendrick album for this reason. Bands like Letlive., The Wonder Years, Against Me!, and Enter Shikari are the ones more in our scene that I think will put out some great political music as a result of this.

dvdjmskng likes this.
  12. I love Frank Turner.

Zoshchenko likes this.