Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Turner on Safe Gigs for Women

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 17, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Frank Turner, writing on his blog:

It’s actually really fucking dumb that I have to spell this out, but if you’re the kind of guy who has ever behaved like that towards a woman in any context, I’d like you to do two things: firstly, just be a fucking human, consider yourself in the other person’s shoes, ask yourself if you could defend your actions if publicly called out in front of your friends, your family, the whole crowd. And secondly, if that first part didn’t work, I’d like you to fuck off and never come to any of my shows again.

2. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I've seen him go off on people like this at shows. Makes me so happy that he actually stands by his convictions. This also reminds me that I need to read his book.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Oh, his book is fantastic! Go buy it from Book Depository.com, they do free worldwide shipping.

Michael Schmidt and Turkeylegz like this.
  4. Turkeylegz

Trusted

@JRGComedy thanks for the suggestion. That's cheaper than Amazon any way you cut it, even with prime. Looking forward to reading!

JRGComedy likes this.
  5. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

It's so sad how many young women interested in music don't have the privilege of safely enjoying a show -- most times regardless of whether they're alone or not or what kind of show it is. This is the kind of thing I point back to when people imply there aren't as many female musicians because women aren't interested in music (or some other bullshit reason that seems to come around every time a festival announces yet another lineup with few or no women). Women in music commit an act of bravery unfamiliar to most men by knowing the kind of environment they'll be subjected to and playing music anyway, out of a passion and love for the art-- something men in the same field never consider when picking up an instrument. I've seen and heard enough horror stories and I can't blame any woman who decides the hostility, violence and prejudice just isn't worth it.

6. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Way to be Frank!

7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I also need to read his book.

Interview coming with him tomorrow. Wish I'd seen this before I talked to him so I could have made it part of the discussion.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  8. kevincomplains

he doesn't want sexual predators at his shows? what a hero. bold statement.

9. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

But now that you mention it, is there really much else an artist can do, aside from calling it out when they see it from stage? Depending on the venue, lighting can make it very difficult to see what's going on in the crowd. I'm of the belief that actions speak louder than words but in this case, I think Frank did his part, even if it wasn't much. The real problem is the people that don't understand the concept of sexual assault. There are too many people who have assaulted or would assault someone and think the action is not as serious or didn't count as sexual assault. They're the ones who think it's okay to assault someone who's intoxicated, or that clothing signifies consent. They're the ones who might read this and still go to Frank's shows because "they would never do something like that."

10. kevincomplains

fair enough. I guess I default to the notion of sexual predators being the outliers amongst audience members. I also am unaware of who or what frank turner is, just feels like a few times a day someone makes a statement declaring they don't like bad humans and it gets shared and retweeted as some kind of altruistic decree when I think every human wants a space devoid of deviants of any kind.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  11. Turkeylegz

Trusted

@kevincomplains I totally get where you're coming from. You should listen to Frank Turner though. He really has such a great discography and is a blast live.

kevincomplains likes this.
  12. kevincomplains

Turkeylegz likes this.
  13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

nah this is bullshit. talk to some women who attend shows and you'll see how much of a problem this is.

Anna Acosta likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Turkeylegz likes this.
  15. kevincomplains

I understand that it happens. my point was it isn't doing anything to tell these people they "aren't welcome" at shows. they've been told that before. they aren't welcome anywhere. these people don't identify as sexual predators and think "oh I'm not allowed at these shows anymore." just don't see the benefit in the round of applause for saying "only nice people are allowed at my events."

16. You'd be surprised how much good a call out like this can do, actually. Women who hear it feel heartened to know that the person they're there to see wants it to be a safe space (which, despite your assertions that it's what most people want, is not something any woman can ever take for granted), and it provides a foundation on which these people can better be dealt with by other people in the crowd. It might not seem like a big deal to you, but it can be a very big deal to us.

17. kevincomplains

I like that part about the foundation for the rest of the crowd, didn't think of it from that angle. appreciate the insight

Carmensaopaulo and Anna Acosta like this.