Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Turner - No Man’s Land (August 16, 2019) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sean Murphy, Jul 3, 2019.

1. BackyardHero11

Trusted

honestly one of my favorites on that record was Silent Key

2. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I like The Graveyard of the Outcast Dead a lot on my first listen.

3. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I'm starting to get a little worried about this album.....

4. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I like this one A LOT more than the other 2.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  5. BackyardHero11

Trusted

I may be the outlier here but this album for me, 3 for 3. haha

danielm123 likes this.
  6. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

That chorus melody lives somewhere in some song and I cannot place it.

But I really like this one after a few more listens. I like it mostly because it’s not a Wikipedia fact sheet. It’s told from a perspective and that is what I genuinely hoped for from this album. I fear we won’t be getting more like this, but I like this.

7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’d say so far No Man’s Land feels a little cautious. Maybe trying to make a record that’s acceptable to people, maybe playing with new people.

I bet whatever songs from this he keeps in his setlist long term will keep getting better over time. I’ll still be listening to album and i’ll probably like a a number of the songs. They’ll just probably need to grow on me more.

8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Yeeps, the latest one isn't great

9. JimmyIymmiJ

I love the latest one :shrug:

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  10. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yeah the one from last week is the only one I can say I like thus far.

11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

new song today. it's fine.

saw on insta that he's recording a podcast episode with his mom that should be a good listen. also recording one with catherine marks as a guest. i haven't listened to any of the pods yet, waiting until they're all out so I can pass the time on my 6 hour flight from NY to Seattle mid august hah

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  12. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I will probably listen to this album one time lol

13. BackyardHero11

Trusted

This one didn't jump at me like the others, but I didn't think it was bad either. I've really enjoyed the podcasts. Dora Hand is still my favorite so far.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  14. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I like the new one. Feels like it could have been on another Frank record.

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  15. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

The last two are definitely better than the first two

.K. likes this.
  16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

album is out next Friday - new song out today and there was another last week. This new one today starts off weird but gets a lot better, and maybe sounds the most like old(er)? frank as he has in a while. Still don't see myself really clinging to this at all, but looking forward to at least giving it a once over in full.

Brother Beck likes this.
  17. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I stopped listening to them after the 5 minute boring as hell one like 3 weeks ago. I'll give the album a listen next Friday … but yeah I have NEVER felt this uninspired, unexcited, and bored during a new Frank Turner album. Which is saying a lot after BMK.

Ugh. Makes me so sad.

Brother Beck likes this.
  18. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I'll be checking out the whole album next week because it's Frank Turner and Catherine Marks, but this has been such a bummer so far.

19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

the potential with this duo had my hype levels maxxxxed out. FWIW the songs sound great production-wise but a producer can only do so much with what they're given to work with.

Brother Beck likes this.
  20. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

I stopped listening to the podcast after song 2 because I’d rather have the whole album in one sitting

Brother Beck likes this.
  21. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’m not writing this album off, but I will say I find it a touch dull.

Maybe it’s case of trying to please to many people. Maybe he should have had The Sleeping Souls involved in some of the writing and recording to kind of push back. I am only familiar with Catherine’s work with Manchester Orchestra which was well produced, so I was hoping they’d have some magic together. I was hoping Frank would also lyrically have some strong takes on this album based on the historical figures he was writing about.

I said this before, but I enjoyed Silent Key. There is an element of fiction in that song around facts that made it interesting.

Brian Fallon has wrote two songs (one solo and one in Gaslight) from a female point of view. Both are fictional characters, but I really like those songs and energy. I wanted more of than unapologetic Frank.

I still will be giving this album a fair shot though. Maybe when these songs are unified on an album they will feel stronger. I still applaud his concept and and plan for this.

I’m hoping Frank’s next album will be unapologetic personal reflection album. I want to hear what he’s got to say.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  22. JimmyIymmiJ

I don’t really dislike any of the songs, but there just aren’t really that I think are great. I like some more than others, but none I absolutely love. Even Be More Kind had a handful of songs I would classify as great.

.K. likes this.
  23. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I am *really* hoping for some high-quality surprises in the tracks we haven't heard yet..... :teethsmile:

.K. and JimmyIymmiJ like this.
  24. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Looking forward to hearing this album in full soon.

25. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yikes, I forgot this is coming out Friday. This is the first time since getting super into Frank I did not even care about an album coming out.

I'll obviously listen Friday, but Oso Oso and my continued listening of the new Somos album will dominate this weekend.