Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frank Turner - No Man’s Land (August 16, 2019) Album • Page 14

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sean Murphy, Jul 3, 2019.

1. .K. Aug 4, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 11, 2020)
    .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I want another Frank record with a bit of that punk edge again.

I found the split pretty even (maybe even found the NOFX side slightly stronger).

2. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

JaytotheGee likes this.
  3. abw123

Trusted

This is great news, depending on how exactly he defines "punk" for himself

4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’d guess I’d refer to the split with NOFX and his earlier work that to me was that acoustic folk punk attitude.

5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

6. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

He's also producing one of the new Beans On Toast albums.

7. irthesteve

never heard of Beans on Toast, whats the story there

8. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Solo folk artist. Real name is Jay something or other. I believe he's one of Frank's friends from the old days (think he used to run the club night at Nambuca, the pub that Frank's friends owned and where he first started playing solo). He's incredibly prolific though. Think he averages about an album a year haha.

9. irthesteve

well that's overwhelming

10. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Wiki tells me he has 11 studio albums currently, and has just announced 2 more. So that'll be 13 total. So yeah, overwhelming haha.

11. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

Yeah, he’s the Jay mentioned in Prufrock (standing on a wooden chair, etc.). I’ve tried checking out his stuff over the years, but most of it didn’t really stick with me. With that being said, I quite liked his album “A Bird in the Hand” from a couple years ago. But that’s the only one that really grabbed me personally.

12. irthesteve

Admittedly I never listened to the first Buddies, but listening to Buddies II now, I had no idea how much of a joke album this is. It's enjoyable for what it is, but boy is there a lot of dialogue

13. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I wonder if I'll ever care about a Frank Turner release again

Sean Murphy, Barcara and maryp1603 like this.
  14. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Definitely not if it’s a “concept album.”

JRGComedy likes this.
  15. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Use whatever his next album is as a bench mark.

his cover of NOFX’s Eat The Meek is so good. It reminds me of what I like about the songs Redemption musically.

I think Frank had ventured into trying new things with certain elements of Be Me Kind (not all but some of that album), No Man’s Land, a split with NOFX and Buddies 2 (which I haven’t heard), in his reworked tracks for live shows.

I’m hoping next album is more in line with the elements that drew in the fan base. A bit of a punk edge (acoustic or full band), good story telling and and self awareness.

I like Frank but I think the next album will be the deciding point for the move vocal fans.

JRGComedy likes this.
  16. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I mean, I haven't listened to anything since I skipped through No Man's Land, but you're right. If the next one is really good and people seem to like it around here, I'll definitely be giving it a shot.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  17. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I’ll always cherish frank shows as a really good time and I’ll probably keep seeing him play, but my hopes for a good full length are fading. Since Be More Kind he has been straying from what I like about him.

18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Lots of bands go “back to their roots”. I’m down with him experimenting musically. It can be hit and miss though. I like half of BMK, Eye of The Day, Rosemary Jane, Eat The Meek cover and a few others, but I want the things I loved most about Frank’s music back in the forefront.

I hope he recognizes that from fans.

19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I saw an awesome interview/song explanation with him a while ago where he revisited the lyrics of I am Disappeared. Such a great song and backstory to the song.

20. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I think he's put out enough stuff I love that I'll check out any album he makes for at least another decade. I'm hoping his next one connects with me more than his last two.

21. MannyDiller

If anyone is curious about what comes next for him, he was a guest on the Hard Times podcast about two months ago and had this to say about new music. Who knows if it'll actually end up like this or whether it'll be good, but might give some hope to people who wish he would go back to his pre-BMK sound a little more.

(Starting around 49:30)

"In terms of the future, I'm supposed to be in the studio right now in California, making a new record. And self-evidently, I'm not, because, I don't know if you knew, but there's been a pandemic!"

So you got a whole bunch of songs on deck, ready to record?

"I've got a shitload of songs on deck to record. We are experimenting with the idea of me possibly recording it remotely, through the internet kind of thing. As in me going to a studio in London and the producer I wanna work with, who's California-based, sort of do it that way. I don't know whether that's gonna work. But basically, yeah, I'm working on a new record. And like, this is the place to mention this, you know, I haven't made it yet, and things change when you're in the studio, but my sort of intention is to make an actual punk record, in a way that I haven't really done before. And I mean musically. I've spent most of my career kind of going right up towards punk rock and then sort of taking a left-hand turn in one direction or another, because I listen to so much of that music, and it was like, well, cool, let's put a spin on it. And I sort of feel like I'm kind of allowed to actually make one straight-up punk record, actually. So, I'm gonna do that. It's gonna be noisy. And fast. And aggressive. And I'm excited about that.

Like I say, you never know, you put me in the studio for a couple of months and it'll turn out to be a bossanova record, and that'll be that. But like, you know, we'll see what happens. But at the moment, it's a punk record."

.K. likes this.
  22. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I don’t need it to be full band record of songs like 1933, but I hope he can embrace some of punk sound. 21st Century Survival Blues, I am Disappeared, substitute, next storm, recovery all had a punk edge but sounded different.

23. MannyDiller

Agreed. I'm not sure if a "straight-up punk record" is really what I want from Frank, given how much I don't care for Mongol Horde. A mix of big rock songs like "I Am Disappeared," poppier stuff like "Recovery," and folkier stuff like "LI&S" is how I like my Frank.

SpyKi and .K. like this.
  24. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Just give me a proper follow-up to Positive Songs

Donnie Ruth and BenSmith94 like this.
  25. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

There are definitely better Frank albums than Positive Songs in my opinion. Not a bad album, just not in my top 3.

At this point I don’t want him trying to follow up any particular record or make a copy. I want him to revisit some of the magic that made each album great a make a really Frank Turner sounding Frank Turner record.

Again, I’m not against him experimenting, I just think certain fans need it.

SpyKi likes this.